Winging in- How to protect???

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by pso, Nov 16, 2007.

1. pso

pso Gold Member

Well, my baby hoss, is a bit toe-out, cos he's growing, but wings in desperately...Causing injury to his fetlock...
    Now, people on chat will have seen the pics of the result of this...so I wont bore you all...But it has resulted in a rather extreme vet bill!!

So, I am looking for a way to protect him, to prevent a further vet bill!
    He has been wearing sheepskin/canvas paddock boots, which work great, except, due to the recent hot weather, he discovered water (in the dam), so now goes for a swim to cool off...
    The Paddock boots are hence very wet! and I only get out there every day or two... I am currently changing the boots for a dry pair every day or every second day...but theres still alot of the day that they are wet...And they are starting to rub etc Not to mention the effect on the still healing wound! eek!

So, does anybody have any ideas on a way to protect him, that is fast drying, (The wet uggies thing really isnt working!:D ) So that I dont need to move him to another agistment centre?

2. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

YYYYYEEEAAHHH PSO Threaded!!!!!! lol!*#)

hhhmmmm, sorry S got nothin' new......lol!

But thought I'd show my acknowledgment....:p

3. pso

pso Gold Member

What u mean tain??*#)
    I've started treads once or twice! Was my hijacking other threads getting annoying!??:D

Watched him for ages today...reckon he'll swing around those rubber rings... unless I put them on like bangles, and turn him into michelin pony!:p

4. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Hehehe!!! Michellen Big Boi!!!

It amazes me every time that they work but??? lol!

I know but I keep missing yours, lol! -thats why I had to get in on this one quick, lol!

Hijack away on any of mine.... lurve your input!!:))

5. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Apologies if this seems like a stupid suggestion but can you keep him out of the dam paddock???
    Can I ask what he is doing...cuts/bangs or something else??

6. pso

pso Gold Member

I'd love to get him out of the dam (damn) paddock, but all of the dry paddocks, have TB's being fed more in a day than I'd feed in a month! He's not 2 yet...I dont want him overfed!
    Only option is to move agist centres, and good ones are hard to find! (I want him out to be a horse, otherwise he could be at home in a dry stable!)
    Hence, he's in a 'bare' paddock, and I take feed up to him...whilst he adjusts to paddock life...

His last incedent (I always believe in leaving them for nature to sort out...if they hit their legs, it hurts, they adjust...but not this one), the consistant banging of the fetlock led to cellulitis (he must have broken the skin at some stage), which abcessed out...I have been told this may reoccur if the same area is injured...Hence I need to avoid this!

Pics may be offensive, so I'd better not post them!

7. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

I guess the thing is if you put something to physically protect the site and he is getting wet (or even if it doesnt get wet) you have something that has the potential to cause injury as well....rubbing, cutting, getting hot and moist and causing infection etc..
    Anything that gets wet that is protective is going to be a problem :(
    I think for the sake of the boy and your bank account a move might be something to consider....at least until the dam dries up!! :)