Windswept

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Starlight, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Starlight

Starlight New Member

Hi,
    I dont realy have a problem horse, more of a horse with a problem so I hope this is the right place to post.
    I am working with a yeaarling at the moment who was windswept at birth, she had a very twisted back offside leg when she was younger but it has gradually straightned out as she has grown. If she walks slowly it is fine but as soon as she starts to walk a little quicker quickly the leg starts to twist inwards.
    So I was wondering if there was any exercises such as lunging that would strengthen the leg, or will she always have that twist.
    If anyone has had any experience with this condition I would appreciate your advice

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

is your name sue ???? LOL
    if it has gradually got better with time
    then time is what she needs
    maybe if you have a good farrier this may help
    lunging young standardbreds that are going to race ????? is not a good idea.
    if the standardbred is for pleasure i would wait until the age of 3yrs or later before lunging as the added stress of going on a circle while she/he has this problem will only put more stress on it.
    i hope this helps
    cheers

3. Starlight

Starlight New Member

LOL, No my name isnt Sue but I think I might know who you are talking about?
    If the leg gets better we are hopeful to put her in the sales in Feb if not then we will have to look at her as a pleasure horse for someone. only prob is not very many people would like a horse with a twisted leg, which would be a shame as she is a beautiful big girl.

Starlight

4. smash

smash Well-known Member

ok sorry about the wrong person thing LOL
    well i wish you well and hope she gets to the sales
    good luck
    cheers

5. Admiral

Admiral New Member

Hi Starlight
    We had a foal that was windswept at birth. We stabled him for about 3 months when he was born. We had to stable him because he had a hernia. But this helped as he couldn't run and muck about too much which can put stress on the leg. The vet advised that we could have had an operation to help the leg straighten up but when he had his operation for his hernia the vet said that because the leg had straightened so much he should be right.
    We did however get a Equine Massager to work on him a couple of thimes as the side of his back that was windsept was under developed and the muscle was not as strong. I think this helped a lot. He will be turning two in September and his leg is pretty straight the only problem we have is getting him to pace!!
    Hope this helps.....
    That pic of horse looks very fimilar??

Cheers Admiral

6. Starlight

Starlight New Member

Hi Admiral,
    Thanks for the info, Mel was also confined when she was younger but just to a small paddock with just her and her mother, it has certainly gotten better, I suppose it is just going to take time, but I like your suggestion of massage could you recommend anybody?
    My piccy is of Shadow who was I think grand champion (my memory is going) at the 2004 Standardbred State Championships, this little yearling came in a blitzed all the older competition for the top prize, we couldnt believe it.

Starlight

7. Admiral

Admiral New Member

Hi Starlight
    I am not sure of anyone in your area. Laura Bird or Jackie Searies are good but live over Oakford way. If you give them a call they may make the trip if they have other clients over that way. If you are interested I can send you the numbers.

Cheers Admiral

8. Starlight

Starlight New Member

Hi Admiral,
    Excuse me for having a blonde moment but is Oakford, out Bullsbrook, West Swan way cause thats were we are.

Starlight

9. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

No Starlight, Oakford is next to Byford!! [​IMG]

"Lack of talking ability lost me the role, quit calling me Ed!"
    [image]http://photobucket.com/albums/v647/teamnks/th_231387081uVswhe_ph.jpg[/image]