windsucking

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by wildwelsh, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I had one that windsucked but didn't do it much when out in the paddock with grazing or hay, was worse if yarded. It never bothered me too much and it certainly didn't effect his condition and in the years I had him he never had colic. If I were looking at horses to buy and there were two of the same type/abilities and one windsucked and one didn't I DO think I'd take the one that didn't purely for the fact that like what someone already mentioned they are harder to find agistment for and when it comes to selling on more people are put off by wind sucking.

2. horselover97

horselover97 New Member

yeh, he is on the yea sac which helps with the ulcers, i think he is just weird *#), he tries to eat the grass leading him from A to B and in other paddocks... start of the year he didnt even windsuck in the paddock(electric fences) but then he started on the tree etc. so now he has his collar on :)

3. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

PMSL that horse of mine was rubbish AND a windsucker. What a winner!!!! *#)

I tried to sell him with full disclosure (I am very honest unfortunately for me) but no-one was stupid enough to buy him!!!! Only I was dumb enough to open my wallet for it *#)

4. cisco kristy

cisco kristy Well-known Member

I would never have one, they drive me nuts when they suck, and the noise#(

5. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

This is a rather presumptuous post GTD. Although I agree that in some of the more extreme windsuckers, the damage is so severe that the best thing is to get them pts, in most cases, windsuckers will generally only windsuck when they are confined/ stressing/ etc. If people stopped using windsucking as an excuse for why their horse is underweight, blah blah blah and actually looked more into the research that's been done on windsuckers, they will realise that with maintenance (this is for a mild-medium windsucker), it is actually a very manageable vice and a lot better than many of the others out there such a weavers, etc.

I don't believe that people should 'turn away' from a windsucker if it ticks all the other boxes they want in a horse. But if you ARE looking at buying a windsucker, really look into the research that has been done on the vice as this has helped me so much in managing my boy and keeping him happy and healthy :)

In my opinion after the experience I've had with them, a vice like windsucking (as long as it isn't extreme), is not one that people should automatically turn away from. After all, if I had, I never would have ended up with this little man who is worth his weight in gold (if not more)...

[​IMG]

6. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I agree E4E there are varying degrees of windsucking. The two I had pts where chronic. When they had collars on they just at the post and one weaved the other just repeatedly sat with his teeth on anything. I think it is also mentally painful for them.

7. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

I have a mare who is a chronic windsucker. She started out as,a mild windsucker, but is getting worse and worse. She is losing weight, and has almost worn her teeth completley away. I do everything I can make sure she doesnt get stressed at all. She has had ulcer treatments in the past, and collars, nothing has made a difference.
    I have just ordered a barclays collar as a last resort. If it doesnt work, I dont know what im going to do. I've had windsuckers in the past, its not something that puts me off a horse. But I have never seen one this bad.

8. Exister

Exister Active Member

The noise..... drives me insane I can't handle it!!
    I have a very mild windsucker, not that long off the track but was getting passed around till i said enoughs enioughs and took him, funnily enough as a racehorse he never windsucked, picked it up in the short time afterwards lol.
    I hear it and all i can do it twitch... he doesnt do it too much so we dont collar him...
    I had a 16.3 tb also who windsucked, he is now in another home where they love him to bits... but whenever i drive past he is windsucking... *twitch twitch*

9. Random_Winger

Random_Winger Well-known Member

Makes finding agistment hard that's for sure. But it in no way effects his condition and even for a 14 yr old, his teeth aren't all that bad, just a bit curved.

If the horse was right in every way, I wouldn't discount, but I'd try to avoid it in any future horse purchase.

10. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

A friends 19yo tb is a windsucker. You'd never guess to look at him (no one every guesses he's 19 either). An extremely good doer and his teeth are fine. She manages it with a collar. She's had problems too finding agistment and while i've never had one if i could find one like her boy i'd not hesitate.

11. Halligan

Halligan Well-known Member

My first horse was a windsucker and as annoying as it is it didn't effect his health at all, however it did destroy our fencing even with a collar on, it was just an ugly sounding habit and my Dad hating the damage it did to the property, otherwise it wasn't really an issue. He was miserable in a mircale collar but the nutcracker one seemed to work ok.

12. Flair

Flair New Member

My last horse (RIP) was a chronic windsucker and as a result was a lot cheaper than he should have been for such a superstar:)

It never affected his condition as he always wore a leather miracle collar which meant he actually never got a chance to do it - as soon as it came off he would look for an opportunity to do it! The miracle collars are great but I had to keep sheepskin on it so it didn't rub too much.

I think there's a lot of misconceptions about windsuckers though. Mine wasn't a nervous or fidgety horse, actually he was incredibly laid back... Never had stomach ulcers... never 'passed' the habit on to any of the younger horses. A lot of stables won't let you bring your windsucker there because of this.

So I'll never write off a windsucker when looking at buying horses, although I know a lot of people would.

13. mylittlepony

I am currently going through a really bad experience with a windsucker.
    I was givien this mare after I had to put my old boy ( love of my life) down. I was so devastated and the mares owner knew that I really liked the mare and so offered her to me to try to fill the hole in my heart.
    She has been a windsucker all her life, and collars never worked on her, she was always hard to keep weight on, but it was possible to keep her fat and healthy looking with the right feeds.
    She is the perfect mare to put to a stallion that I had wanted a foal from for years. But putting her in foal has worked out to be the worst thing I ever did.
    She is not a happy mare being pregnant.
    Her windsucking has gotten so bad that I cannot get weight on her, and she is on 8 kilo's of grain a day plus ad lib hay.
    I tried an electric collar, it doesn't work, I have tried keeping her away from the fences, but she is that desperate to suck that she will do it on her own legs and her waterbowl.
    Her teeth are almost completly worn away. And she's not due to foal until early November.

It has gotten to the point where I am planning to wean the foal at 100 days and put her down as I just cannot bear to see her like this anymore. It's heartbreaking and has almost made me want to get out of horses.
    My only hope is that the foal will maybe a distraction and she won't want to windsuck anymore.
    It's a horrible experience and while I previously did not have a problem with windsuckers, after dealing with this, I will never have a windsucker ever again.#(

14. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

I know you aren't asking for solutions in your post MLP but perhaps the 8kg of grain is making it a lot worse ';'

15. mylittlepony

I know 8 kilo's is a lot, but it is a feed I have been through and set up with my vet.**)
    It is split up into smaller feeds, she doesn't get it in one big feed.

16. Cassy Horse

Oh well I guess the vet would know if she possibly had a chance of being ulcer-ish then and as grains are usually a big no no!

17. mylittlepony

Ulcers were the first things we checked for when the windsucking became such a problem. Unfortunatly the most obvious thing wasn't the answer. She is on Gastrozol anyway as a preventative, but hasn't had any ulcer issues yet, although I sort of was expecting her to develop ulcers with the amount of windsucking she does.
    It is hard to get her to stand still and eat as she seems to be convinced she is already full ( with air), so mollasses and warm water are added so that she thinks it's a "treat" rather than a feed. Her feeds look more like a soup, it looks gross!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  18. Cassy Horse

Yeah fair enough, sounds like pregnancy certainly does not suit her then

ETA does she have mates?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  19. Flair

Flair New Member

mylittlepony, that's so heartbreaking :( what a nightmare.

Maybe my boy wasn't as bad as I thought he was.. What collars has she worn?

20. mylittlepony

She has had a miracle collar, a "nutcracker" ( cant remember the name of it), one that was 2 straps and a leather pad around her neck, a single leather strap, and the barclays collar ( the electric one).
    The Barclays collar was a last resort, after it didn't work the first time, we modified to to make it give a stronger shock, and it still didn't work, she just ignored it. I even tested it to make sure it worked ( on my brother LOL:p ).
    We have given up, all we can do now is pump food into her and watch it go nowhere.
    I have had windsuckers before, and worked with many of them in racing, but I have never seen one this bad.

Hopefully she might slow down with the sucking once she foals. Thats all I can hope for now.

Yes Cassy she has her best friend ( my old broody who is now a pet) in the paddock with her and another mare over the fence.