windsucking

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by wildwelsh, Aug 18, 2011.

1. wildwelsh

wildwelsh Active Member

Just wanted to know peoples thought's about windsuckers would you have one?
    Is it becoming more common
    Is it becoming more accepted or is it still taboo....
    what treatments do people use eg what collars, has anyone had their horse operated on?
    :))

2. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

I believe it is becoming more common as well WW... you seem to see it more and more, not just the OTTB but also youngsters of other breeds, environment we are exposing them too (who knows??)

I had a windsucker.. it was an annoying vice but I loved him to bits.. eventually I just learned to ignore the vice, mind you that was a better vice then rearing/biting/kicking/bucking.. I would choose windsucking over them.. I found the Miracle collar the best.. mind you he is now down south on lease in a large paddock with a few mates, no collar on what so ever and no issues with him...

3. Shera

Shera Active Member

Do you own said horse or are you thinking of buying a windsucker? Unless it was really worth it I wouldn't get another one.

ETA: Mine too leon but retired in a big paddock with lots of feed and friends, no windsucking, amazing what happens when they live like they would in the wild

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  4. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

I've owned 2 and would never let it be a reason for me not to buy a horse. Especially if they tick all the other boxes.

Both the w/s I've had, have been extremely intelligent, sensitive and prone to stomach ulcers, etc. We did not find that collars work and don't like using them as they have to be so horribly tight!
    We only use a collar when he's yarded at competitions or when tied up.
    His paddock is completely electrified and he's quite happy to just graze all day. He only seems to windsuck when eating his hardfeed.

Personally, I've gotten a soft spot for w/s as I find them so intelligent and sensitive to work with (which is great for dressage). Mocha is a one in a million horse and his windsucking has never affected his work or condition.

We've found that the best way to keep him happy is always have roughage for him to eat, keep him on additives such as slippery elm to help his gut and to just let him be a horse and not micro-manage him.

5. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I have one (which is my first) To be honest, it doesnt bother me too much but he is certainly not cronic with it. I have tried both the nutcracker and miracle collars.. both are not much chop.. both roll around his neck no matter how tight I do them up. The miracle collar also slips off over his ears with the second strap.. I find the best thing is a stirrup leather around his neck.

My wind sucker has been living with my 3 y/o arab stockhorse gelding and the young one has not picked it up. I used to be dead against windsuckers but it really doesnt have an impact on our herd surprisingly. I do get slack and leave it off quite regularly and I dont notice him windsucking at all.

6. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Yeah - sure I'll have them again.

But I wouldnt havew them near young horses, or maturing horses. I beleive it is a learnt behaviour.

I dont have a problem with it. I dont allow it to happen when I am near them - and I work it by re-diverting the behaviour no punishing. When they are in the paddock, they only go into paddocks with electric fencing, and no teeth holds.

I must adit, I would be concerned with stationary windsuckers - but personally, I havent found it at all hard to acheive a peaceful state of mind for them, where at least they are able to discover the joy, and peace of constantly eating.

I NEVER, in normal management have my horses standing with no grazing.......

7. wildwelsh

wildwelsh Active Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback, no I do not own a windsucker and never have, just looking at buying a new horse and noticed that there seem to be more and more out there.:))

8. horselover97

horselover97 New Member

my horse is a windsucker and it drives me nuts*#) i do wish he didnt do it, but sometimes just try and ignore it
    he is in a grassy paddock but he doenst like to graze that much so i still do have his collar (nut cracker) on, but once a week or so i take it off for a day
    his w/s'ing doesn't affect him in any ways, in fact he is a pretty good doer on about 3-4 biscuits of hay a day and he does get some yea sac at dinner as yea sac
    i personally dont think windsucking should really prevent you from buying a horse if it suits you in other ways :)

9. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

Never had one and never would, drives me nuts and as I have to agist it can limit your options on where you can go, so yeah its a deal breaker for me and something I ask first up :)

10. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

Have you thought about looking into stomach ulcers?

For the first year we had Mocha, he really wasn't happy to just go out and graze, but after putting him on a course of gastrozol (i think that's what it was), and keeping him on something to keep his stomach healthy, he's been a lot happier, brighter and doesn't seem to windsuck nearly as much :)

11. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I refuse to have one in my paddock. I have had two euthanased (older exOTTB's) because of it. One of them I stayed while they quartered it up and when they gutted it the whole gut was just full of air and ulcerated. I got them to open the gut over areas where it had been inflamed so I could see it. That horse must have had excruciating pain for years:(.

You may stop them sucking but they still have irrepairable gut damage from it. I think it is becoming more of an issue as horse husbandry methods change. The more intensive way of keeping horses such as agistement centres with small paddocking etc leads to issues such as wind sucking. They also learn it off each other when they are in close proximity.

If you are looking at buying a horse and it is a wind sucker. Turn away and look at something else. It is also a notafiable vice so If you get sold a horse and they don't declare it as a wind sucker then you can legally get your money back. In my books no horse is ever fantastic enough to overlook the wind sucking issue.

12. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Well said however GTD.

It would have to be amazing in every other way before I would consider it I wouldnt take average with the addition of vices ;)

13. IbanezGirl

IbanezGirl Well-known Member

me personaly, i wouldnt buy one. i need to agist and so many places just wont take them.

14. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

I had one until recently, would never do it again!! Bloody thing drove me to distraction, but he was a bit tapped generally. Wrecks their teeth, wrecks your fences, argh!!!!

Once it becomes a habit (this horse was 14 and an OTTB) it won't stop. It may start because of ulcers or boredom, but once they suck badly, you won't stop them. Mine was in a 10 acre paddock with a buddy and would not get off the fence posts!!!! Miracle collar (real tight :() controlled it but as soon as you took it off to ride etc he would suck air even without cribbing - he was a true windsucker. If you prevented the windsucking he would just use another vice, ie fence walking, digging .... ';' other horse just kept away from him.

He never lost condition from it, but I definitely did!!! My lovely good horse hated him and found him annoying. I have never seen that horse be nasty to another horse but he would attack that one when he was windsucking!!! So even other horses find it irritating lol!!!

He had to go before baby WB came home - I will not have a windsucking yearling lol!! And Squig is the 'type' of horse to pick it up - young, impressionable, and a bit nervy and stressy.

ETA: I sent that horse to the doggers. Harsh but fair. Had him vet checked, scoped, the works, physically fine, mentally fried. I really didn't like that horse. Only took him on to start with because I felt 'sorry' for him - BIG BIG mistake!!!!! Lots of $$$$$ later, twit that I am, horse ended up where it should have been in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  15. Bell The Babe

Bell The Babe Active Member

I own one and have never had an issues with him in anyway what so ever.

He maintains condition
    Has mild impact on his teeth but nothing the master dentist I use can't manage and manage easily. Yes he sucks on the wooden posts but I have seen several horses who eat the pine fencing so...which is worse?
    I have been at several local agistment centres and am now at a private centre and have never had an issues placing him in agistment.
    Being a wind sucker does not automatically equate to being a fence walker etc

Adding lucerne hay to horse with this habit can assist in reducing the symptoms and ther are other products available to address ulcers such as gastrozol, whey powder etc.

I also challenge the theory that it teaches other horses how to wind suck. My horse was agisted with a young one, every day, 24 hours, 7 days a week and this horse never picked up the trait nor did any of the other horses he has been agisted with or next to.

If the horse ticked every other box...I would not knock it back due to this habit.

16. kp

kp Well-known Member

Had windsuckers. Will NEVER have another one. They drive me around the twist. Last one we had would constantly be down with colic if he was without his collar or even 5 minutes. Ulcer treatments certainly help these horses. But seriously there are loads of nice horses out there that don't have this vice.

17. samm

samm Gold Member

If the horse far outweighs everything else in the type of horse I'm looking for then yes I wouldn't hesitate if it was a windsucker.
    They don't overly bother me,weavers and fence pacers drive me nuts more than windsuckers.

18. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

This little spunk is a windsucker and I couldn't care less! Hes adorable and safe and there are far worse vices, any pony that puts up with this is worth his weight!

[​IMG]

19. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

I have never been worried by it - I find the miracle collar -well a miracle- our horse only does it when the collar is off so I leave it on full time. I would never pass up a otherwise perfect horse because of it.

20. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Nearly all my top horses were windsuckers. I hate it but I hate rubbish horses more !!!!