windgalls

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by chick_with_a_chainsaw, Dec 3, 2007.

1. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

damn it i believe my mare has a windgall on one of her legs. it fits several books descriptions perfectly so ive got her leg banadaged one day not the other as the book says its not supposed to be bandaged all the time and ive been icing it etc and when ridden (the book once again says to so it doesnt become a permanant mark) shes ridden in nice soft sand with a support bandage on each leg.

any other suggestions?
    anybody have experiances with windgalls?

2. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

I had a gelding with them on his back legs. Must admit I didn't do much about them, just accepted he had them. His never seemed to be any more or less noticeable, and didn't seem to bother him, so just left them be. (Mind you, he wasn't ridden more often than several times a week) :)

3. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

My tb mare has windgalls on all four legs. They unfortunately have made her unsound :( not the windgalls themselves - which are usually just a cosmetic blemish - but because hers were an indication of DJD as they were accompanied with stiffness and later lameness. If they swell up after exercise, cause any grade of lameness at all or if heat is present then I would certainly get a vet to check them out. I had scans and x-rays to check, and she has quite pronounced DJD and in her hips also.

4. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

what are windgalls?

5. chick_with_a_chainsaw

liquid filled lumps on the legs between the knee and the fetlock (i think thats right) they may or may not cause lameness and if your not carefull they remain there forever but i think if you catch them in time they go away.

not that im fussed if my little backyard pony as a few blemishes shes still my baby

6. samm

samm Gold Member

A windgall is a excessive amount of fluid in a joint space.
    You might find that horses benefit with some sulphur in the feed and other anti-oxidants as well as a joint supplement can help.
    Externally linseed oil,arnica and witch hazel massaged into the area where the gall is has shown some benefit.

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

oh cool i shall use some linseed oil on it then we have some of that for the mare with cushings.