Wind sucking

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by CountryGurl_007, May 3, 2010.

1. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

Hi Guys
    My Friend has her 3 yr old TB Mare Next To a Wind sucker she has started to
    try sucking on everything and anything
    now i was wondering ( please dont think i am stupid ) but windsucking is a learnt thing and is done out of bordom/ vice

please share your veiws

2. kp

kp Well-known Member

There are a lot of theories as to how horses pick up this vice. One is that it is learned from other horses. Another through boredom, another through gastric ulcers. Or maybe a combination of all three.

There are a few threads on it. Maybe have a look around.

3. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

yea i have looked around but i cant seem to find what i am looking for

4. Sallighted

Sallighted Well-known Member

I've had my horse in with wind suckers and my boy has never picked up the habit... however it was in a 10 acre paddock and they were in with a herd of 4. One horse in particular was a chronic and would be always looking for his next fix.... you would let him into a new paddock and he would be looking around for the nearest post/tree/log and would stress until he saw something that he could use for his fix :p It never affected this particular horse in any other way apart for his looking around when moving to a new place;) From the horses I have witnessed I would not hesitate putting my horses in with them in a herd environment in large pasture. I would NOT put them in together in small confined spaces etc. for longish peroids of time. I also wouldn't put babies/weaners in with them until about 3ish.... babies pick up way too many bad habits:eek:

So my answer... older horses (ie. +3yrs) I have no worries putting them in with windsuckers in larger paddocks/herd environments. If they are still suckling off mum and in a herd larger than 5 I would allow that as well. My own opinions however I have never had one turn into a windsucker yet....

5. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

There is a windsicking thread, in the problem horses section on the same page as this thread. :) its been going for a few pages. if this was my horse i would get a collar on it ASAP, if its started by collering up u might by some miricle stop it being chronic

6. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I live next door to a 150acre paddock...first there was one horse hanging off a post, then another one and the other day I see a new one biting a tree stump. I have definate misgivings.

nope...after having a windsucker many years ago, would never deal with another or have one on my property...

That is my personal preference.

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I have one on the property - I wasnt told he did it - and it is behaviour that commences when he is relaxed funnily enough......

So far - I havent had him in a situation where I would be worried about him passing on the behavoiour to any of my lot. And their has been no excuse for them/or him (its just what he does) to do it - plenty of new fresh environment, and plenty of constant feed.

On the weekend - he will be going into a paddock whenre thier is literally NOTHING he can do it on (within reason - electric fencing/strip grazing), so If he wants to try he'll have to be VERY agile, and I guess he will cop a few zaps!

I have never met such a calm, healthy, windsucker with such a tip top digestive system as well - he is certainly glowing here :)

I dont think Id class it as a huge factor in my descision , If they are a horse I would select, It wouldnt have a bearing on them....If you know what I mean - I honeslty would usually find something else about a windsucker that would put me off as they often come with a range of imbalances.

BUT - If I was looking at bring young horses onto the property - It would be concerned. As it isnt proven as to why - or how the behaviour starts, I wouldnt want to risk it in the theory that it may become a learned behaviour "just for fun" :)

8. kp

kp Well-known Member

I ditto that Nannygoat. They most certainly aren't welcome at my place.

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

If he REALLY wants to he will use his leg or even nothing...just stand and hoove:(

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have seen horses wind suck off each others backs.

I wouldn't buy a wind sucker.

11. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member

MY OTTB statrted windsucking when he was stabled. Now he is in a paddock and no more windsucking :)*

I dont think its learnt - IMO thats a fallacy - have a google and read up on what some of the vets say - I ajist with vet students and their opinion is it isnt learnt, so I wouldnt be too worried, other than the fact the sound is horrid and it can destroy fences!

Has your friend got the Miracle Collar? Also rosehip can sometimes work if they are windsucking due to vitamin deficncy. Also CribStop all teh posts.

Im pretty sure mine started windsucking due to ulcers (had them badly) and boredom in stables. The problem is once they start, because they get an awesome high off it, its really hard to stop unless you treat the cause before they get too chronic.

Once I got mine out of a stable, in a paddock with things to do (ie eat all day and talk to other ponies over fences!! LOL) and cleared up his belly, he has been fine :)

I put his windsuck collar in when he goes into his night yard just in case but he doenst need it in the paddock at all.

Some people refuse to buy windsuckers, some dont care - I think it will all depend on the horse, its ability, and how much effort you are willing to put in to determine the root cause of the problem :)

The other problem some people have I think is that they can be v destructive grabbing onto fences etc. CribStop was enough to deter mine, but again will depend on how chronic teh horse is - I read a journal article by a vet who witnessed a horse windsucking off its own leg! IMO it really shoudlnt get to that stgae if you find the cause.

ANywya, I wouldnt be too worried for your horse, but the horse that is windsucking def needs some kind of tretament - try the Miracle Collar ()IMO the only one that works), CribStop and fixing the belly, keeping in a paddock, removing boredome, having constant access to hay or grass etc etc.

My opinion only - each to their own - but Im not too worried if someone has a collar on their horse:):))