Why you should wear gloves when ponying...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by HorseSlave, Mar 15, 2008.

1. proud mum

proud mum Well-known Member

VERY PAINFULL
    Did the same sort of thing about 4 weeks ago. Every finger and palm of hand looked like yours. I never thought rope burn could be so painfull:mad:
    I swear by the Fixamol it was fantastic stuff. My hand and fingers have healed well but the new skin is still very pink and sensitive.

2. Liberte Doo Dah

Liberte Doo Dah Active Member

I have to admit i never wear gloves when leading, lunging or riding...... :confused:

3. primrosecourt

primrosecourt Well-known Member

Oh yes been there done that....i go through stages of remembering my gloves for evrything and then I'll loose one and not wear anything until the next time I get a nice rope burn.....
    Its kinda like the old 'hat' (helmet) thing!!:)

4. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

The best thing to use for a rope burn or any type of burn is Aloe Vera, we always have some growing in a pot close to the horse yards.

Just break a bit of and rub the gel in, the pain goes after a day if not sooner I also use it on the horses great stuff**)

Graeme always uses his Sydhill Horned Stock saddle espiecially when training young horses to lead from another, one rap around the horn an Caruba his big boy stands his ground it cures a lot of horses that have got away with pulling back:)

Janet@)

5. Jonsie

Jonsie Well-known Member

Wow that is some serious rope burn!! i would grab some stuff from the pharmacy that is like a bandaid but it is gauze and it breaths... it acts like a layer of skin until your body grows a new layer - really helped me with my rope burn! (Just ask at the counter) And i completely agree with GeeJay - Aloevera is AWESOME!!!! we have too huge pots of it at home!

6. Rem

Rem Well-known Member

PLEASE go to the doctor! I got severe rope burn on both hands and ended up in the emergency department in agony, with subsequent follow up visits to RPH Burns Unit. I was on Morphine for two weeks and unable to use my hands at all for five weeks. Burns get infected very, very, very easily and as much as it hurts now (and I KNOW it hurts ALOT), you won't believe the agony you'll be in if you end up with an infection!

Truly, I don't want to scare you but after numerous lectures from doctors at RPH I know how important it is that you clean and dress burns properly.

In case you're wondering, I did actually clean the burns myself, remove the bits of lead rope stuck in there (yuck) and dress them properly and I still got an infection.

7. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Thanks for all your concern and support :)

After the first 3 days, it has settled down to being less painfull now - I can wash it without too much pain now.

I'm changing the dressings every night after my shower, using Burn Aid cream (tried a few others first, but this really seemed to stop the pain), followed by a non-stick dressing (which DID stick to the biggest one - OW!), then a conformable dressing over the top. There's no infection evident and I'm probably going to back off with some of the dressings tonight - leaving out the non-stick as the conformable dressing has a non-stick bit under it anyway. Hope I'll be able to bend my fingers to type properly then!!!

I'm also getting good at answering the inevitable question when people see the bulky bandages on my fingers - "What happened to you?".... answer.... "STUPIDITY" LOL :)

8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

OUCH!

I use to pony between 2 & 6 horses off another during exercise (cantering) & never wore gloves, would be all too bulky, with several leads & a set or 2 of reins.

Thank god i never got rope burn like that! :eek:

9. Rikki+Sasha

Rikki+Sasha Active Member

Theres Holes In Your Fingers Ouch!!!!

10. HorseSlave

They're all better now :) Still a bit sensitive on the largest hole, but all the skin has closed up and no infection. No longer wearing the question provoking bandages. Hopefully the lesson will stay in my head now ;)

11. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Ahhh, memories flood back. I did that once. Once was enough. Wore gloves after that. Very painful I agree. I swear by Bepanthen, it's a nappy rash antiseptic cream that I put on everything and anything. It is awesome.

Glad they're feeling better.**)

12. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

ouch that looks painful, try ice or aloe vera, hope it heal quick

13. Cass25

Cass25 Active Member

:( Ouchies!! In such a difficult spot too. My horsey pulls like a train and I find wearing gloves soooo much help. Otherwise i end up with blisters too.
    Like other people have said, try aloe vera it works wonders. :)

14. horse girl Jess

horse girl Jess Well-known Member

ouch o.0 how did it heal?

if that happened to your fingers...what happened to your pony's mouth?

15. HorseSlave

My fingers are absolutely fine now. I was ponying (leading off another horse) so there was no bit involved, she was in a halter. Her mouth wasn't part of the equation.

16. CABALLO

CABALLO New Member

A Good friend of mine wasnt wearing gloves with her horse, the horse resisted and she actually lost from the top knuckle (so she has a stump now) gloves may not have helped but the believed it may not have been so bad if she had been..

17. megan1

megan1 New Member

Ive had that happen when lunging my horse he shyed and cuz hes so strong pulled the rope so i got rope burn. but i still dont use gloves. he never pulles or yanks the reins when i ride him and i have cotton reins so they are pretty soft on your hands. But that does look really sore!!!! :(

18. LAURAmay

LAURAmay Well-known Member

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
    that looks sooooooooooooo sore

19. Lindsy10

Lindsy10 New Member

ooooooooowwwwww!!! :eek: i dont ever wear gloves and that has never happened to me and my pony is pretty head strong thats for sure what kind of reins did you have?