Why you should wear gloves when ponying...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by HorseSlave, Mar 15, 2008.

1. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

[​IMG]

Picture is a thousand words isn't it? Horse pulled back and I resisted... or at least parts of my fingers did! Doesn't look like much, but these are basically burns and I can tell you they are excruciating! Typing is a bit hard too :)

Rode back to house, put on multiple bandaids and a glove and went back out again - didn't want her to think she could get out of it that easily.

2. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

Ouch!! Looks painful...

3. HorseSlave

Naww.... I'm tough..

(Yes! It weally, weally hurts! :( )

4. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Ouch i know how that feels, i didn't wear gloves when ridding and my mare bucked (never bucked in all the time i had her) and silly me didn't let the rope go when i hit the ground, we were in an arena DERRR.....

It is very painful OUCH

5. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

OUCH!
    use some burn cream and run under cold water, if you use moisturising burn cream it helps HEAPS! :D
    hope you feel better soon :(

6. cobbie

cobbie Gold Member

I feel your pain!!! I got a rope burn from a lunge rope and OMG I have never felt so much pain in ages, bits of the rope were burnt into my skin, I could of run in front of a bus it killed that much, who would think something so simple can give you so much pain!

7. HorseSlave

And the worst thing is, I knew I should have had gloves on, especially with that particular horse.

(***Kicking self in head***)

8. mineees

mineees Gold Member

ouch ouch ouch ouch.......oh you poor thing...:( :( :(

9. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

my sister didnt let go of a mare she was leading, rope burn so bad it took most of the skin off both of her hands, down to where u could see the veins, ewwwness!

ouchh, ur brave riding again! id have my hand in an ice bucket

10. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

That looks SORE :( :( Much sympathy on offer here!!!!

I have been there, I was lunging a young mare I had in for someone, and I thought, bugger it, she is pretty quiet (lol lol wait for it ...) I shan't need gloves (it was a very very hot day and I was sweating and didn't want to wear my gloves) so that was the day she decided to have a bronco display, tearing the rope through my hands until they bled, ouch ouch ouch. My own fault, getting complacent, can't do that with horses! I have never forgotten or diregarded the need for gloves again - I bet you won't either! Nothing like a lesson learned :( but god it hurts. It hurts worst when you have a shower or wash your hands, eeek.

Savlon is good, and pure aloe vera to cool it, and ice packs for any swelling. They look deep though, watch they don't get infected, lots of saline washes and iodine. You poor thing.

11. rimes

rimes Well-known Member

OUCH, that looks so sore HorseSlave. I hadn't thought about wearing gloves while lunging, but I will be wearing them from now on. Thank you for the advice :)

Hope it feels better soon

12. HorseSlave

Thanks for all the sympathy

You must be a bit smarter than me JB, I have to admit this isn't the first time I've done this. I KNEW I should have been wearing gloves but didn't anyway. The intelligence is in there somewhere, but it has difficulty expressing itself sometimes ;)

I discovered the water thing last night - my OH could hear me from the other end of the house!! It hurt worse than the rope burn itself!

Thanks to everyone for their sympathy, I really appreciate no-one pointing out how stupid I was (I already know that).

I hope this makes a few more people (like you Rimes) think about wearing gloves when leading/ ponying / lunging or doing anything with ropes - if it saves someone else's hands from a bit of pain it makes exposing my stupidity a bit less futile :eek:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  13. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

oh jeez mate. that just looks nasty.

and OMG wildsteel, i would pass out if it were that deep... yuck!

14. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Nah I don't think you are stupid, just an error of judgement, god knows I have those about forty times a day hehehe. Who doesn't! Only human after all. And horses do so love to take you by surprise, bless them. Every time I see that pic I wince, yeeeeeeouch. I just had a thought too, what about that spray on bandage stuff you can get? It is meant to act as a 'second skin' type barrier, so you wouldn't need to wrap it and it wouldn't be as likely to get infected.

15. HorseSlave

Sounds good JB, but don't think there's any available in Toodyay, which is my closest town. I have to go down to Perth tomorrow, I may have a look for some there. Thanks!

16. Big Bay Booga

Big Bay Booga Well-known Member

EEEKKK looks very painful.:(

I had similar burns when I was leading a filly that was getting broken in. She was walking so quietly beside me like she had all week then bang off it went backwards towards the tractor!!! I nearly lost all the skin off my ring and index fingers. Luckily the breaker wasn't too far away and he came and got her but I had to go the rest of the day with nothing but band aids and had to muck out boxes. I found using fixamol to stick over the top of whatever I could find worked best, but I do have a very high pain threshold.( nasty c section will do that to ya)

17. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

toodyay will have some in the chemist there, have bought some from there before :)

18. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

One of the dressings that is good for that type of wound is called Fixamol(SPELLING). It acts like a second skin and makes water contact less painful.

19. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

And i felt sorry for myself the other week when Joe did a pigroot and the skin on my finger got caught (somehow) in the buckle on the rein.
    Poor thing..
    :(
    Hope it gets better soon

20. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

That's why I put a stirrup leather around my riding horse's neck when I pony the youngster (learnt the hard way! :) ) If he pulls back then all the pressure is on the riding horse's shoulders and not me. Gloves are a good idea too, that's for sure.

Oucherama.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008