Why own a horse that is difficult to ride?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by EVP, Oct 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Sadly, some horses get labelled dangerous and PTS, when a lot of them were struggling to cope with clumsy handlers with a lack of feel, timing and confidence.

I, personally, have never met a horse that would not be a suitable mount for the right rider.

Not every rider is the right rider for every horse, but I have experiences some remarkable turnarounds in horses when the right handler/rider takes them on.;)

2. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

And in fairness to the other side of this debate: and if a person finds themselves in a situation with a horse that is unsuitable and training intervention does not resolves the suitability issues then a sensible choice for the owner (to reduce the risk of harm in their chosen recreational activity) might be to relinquish ownership of the horse with full disclosure of suitability issues to the purchaser :)

We can define "harm" too if you want to be super nerdy ;)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  3. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

maybe they just love the horse itself and dont want to sell a horse to someone else and maybe get someone killed and cant bring themselves to put the horse down and if they can afford why not let it be a paddock ornament if thats what they want to do if they want to keep trying with the horse then they cant blame anyone but themselves if they get hurt doing it yes there are a lot of other horses out there but as i said maybe they just love this one or cant afford another who knows why people do the things they do sometimes us humans are just sentimental idiots

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

^^^^definitely!**)

Carol - yep, agree with you too.**)

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Yes, one example of this is etched into my mind and it saddens me to see the next train wreck with the same person unfolding...

6. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

And that is known as autonomy, humans right to free choice, ethics principle number 1! As long as a horse has it's needs provided for there is nothing necessarily wrong with letting it be a paddock ornament...I am sure it will not complain! ;)

7. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

:)* :)* :)* Quote of the day :)) VERY well said :)

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Yes there are trainers and then their are people who think they are trainers.
    The ones who've had 6 horses to "practise" on, ridden a few for other people, maybe they've ridden one type of horse or one breed of horse, and most likely they've never had those "training" skills tested on a wider scale? As in peer reviewed? I mean, can you really claim success and knowledge if you're nothing more than a singer in the shower?

There is humility, and then there is fantacy.....lolol

Yes those people exist most definately. I've heard of them. I hope my horses are never subjected to them!

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Or sell it through auction with a red X on its butt. That way someone else is spared the angst, expense and injury And the horse is spared the continual asking of something it just isn't capable of.....?

10. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

a friend every horse she bought it had some sought of problem. it didnt matter what breed it was or colour, she couldn't help herself she was a difficult horse magnet.

lean mean ranga TB with head shy issues just to put a bridle on him to go out for a peaceful ride was a drama, before she was even ready to go out the gate she was in a state of tension as was Max.

Next horse a big booffer that want much good at anything but eating, had paces that threw her around in the saddle. He was quiet until you asked him to exert himself. l am sure that the horse she bought came from Dandenong markets Her husbands horses were just as difficult

it wasnt until she asked a well respected instructor to help her find a suitable horse and be prepared to spend the $$$$ that she started to enjoy her horse ownership and riding again. It helped her to have a 3rd party to stop her repeating her purchasing mistakes

11. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Completely (and unashamedly) off topic :) I was thinking about this thread this morning, and of the people who are contributing to it. Some are considered the "difficult" Stockies, some are considered "trainers" and others "crusaders". Admin puts up with us all, and each person finds other persons who do get along with each type rather well.....so why is it different for our horses ';'

How dull (and possibly very lacking in critical information), if all the "difficult" people were "PTS" (figuratively speaking). "Difficult" works us, mentally and physically, and although it can be incredibly frustrating at times, can any of us look back on our "difficult" horses and not show them gratitude?

12. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Very amusing Wattle...and though not your intent I'm sure, I can't wait to see personal lists of who we need PTS :D

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I'll put my hand up @)

:D:D

Though that is self-pity due to tonsilitis....I might have to pop over to Problem Horse section and have my issues sorted :eek:

14. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Have you checked teeth? Feed??? Is there enough choccie in your diet?? :D

15. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

....nearly lost a good mouthful of coffee over this.......lol *#) :p

16. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

I can chase you around with a Toblerone stick :D

17. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I swear, as I went to Quote this (the first time :p), that that Toblerone was not there *#) I'm going back to bed :eek:

18. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

A bit off track but don't you just love Buck, he is one wise, handsome little ball of inspiration!

[youtube2]S6J70lijTAk[/youtube2]

19. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Nice work Trojane! (How to send 'mixed messages' 101!) lol :D

20. smash

smash Well-known Member

oh i LOVE THIS, but all difficult animals show you a glimmer of hope that they might be willing to understand lol lol lol it is the dangerous ones that refuse to even acknowledge anything else other then their way and show no glimmer of hope of ever understanding :}
    the dangerous ones need to be PTS ha ha ha (just kidding "sort of") ha ha ha
    i must say, that i just enjoyed a lovely choccies , yum yum yum
    (phew changed that before NG plastered that all over the place) ha ha ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.