Why do you feed your horses so much poo?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Cav, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Ive been using the same stockfeeders for 20 years and trust their advice :)

2. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

What did they say about Breeda ?

3. Cav

Cav Gold Member

They said Hygain and Mitavite was two of the top feeds available. They said Pegasus Studmaster is made to compliment those breeders who feed their horses pony cubes and chaff (for example) but need extra supplements without overdoing it. Look I have no idea, Im not a horse nutrition expert but I expect that when I go to discuss feeds with my stockfeeder they know what they are talking about....god they sell the bloomin stuff! :) And each to their own anyway on what each considers a "top feed".

4. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

Its a business like any other ....

5. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I feed studmaster and I was advised by the stockfeeders to use Breeda (the more expensive feed) because studmaster doesn't have Bonafide (I think that is what it is called) and I should feed Bonofide with the studmaster.

Bonafide (sp?) is $91 a bucket. I said thanks but no thanks. Pegasus sell studmaster as a whole feed, I have researched it well I am happy with it as a feed.

Ultimately it is our cash and we have a say where it goes and what we feed our horses.

You are right Nightsky they are running a business however most of the time they are keen to do the right thing by our horses.

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Mitavite Studgro made so much difference to my yearling it was incredible:D Love their products:D He was on Studmaster and the differnence was visibly noticeable in a very short time

7. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Elanda sometimes what pellet works for your horse depends on what country your horse is running on. Mine run on 11 acres of top Great Southern feed that includes kike, clover and many other grasses. Good quality, well cared for paddock feed. I reckon what mine eat in the paddock makes up 90% of their diet at a guess.

What works for my horses may not work for a horse in the wheatbelt because of the paddock feed they have access to. This is why we need to be flexible with what we advise people to feed their horses. WA is very diverse in the quality of paddock feed.

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Agree totally **)
    my pony has hay, hay and more hay as well as running on kike during the day, plus his morning and night hard feeds in the stable, he is a growing baby too. Just saying what I have tried and what has/hasn't worked for me :)* In a perfect world I would love to have him in a well pastured paddock :)

9. ClubIgnite

ClubIgnite Well-known Member

1st sentence: true
    2nd sentence:false
    Studmaster is made to be a complete feed and to be fed at the recommended rates, with hay or chaff. Feeding pony cubes as well is a waste of time and money.
    And p.s not all stockfeeders know much about horse nutrition/feeds- heck i know more than mine!