Why do you feed your horses so much poo?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Cav, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Sorry QSS not sure why you would assume I have heard of it considering I dont have older horses with weight issues but thanks for filling me in!**)

2. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

I think QSS just meant that it is a very popular feed. There have been lots of threads about gumnuts on here, and they're stocked in almost every stockfeeders. I was a little suprised you hadn't heard of them either - but as you said, you haven't needed to know about them :)

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Gumnuts are made by Mitavite, they are especially formulated for the oldies. Also contain Protexin. From experience they are AWESOME for aged ponies:)*

4. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

They're not only used for ages ponies. They're marketed that way, but there is no problem feeding them to normal-aged horses.

5. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Wow, talk about taking things in the wrong context and biting..........

I dont have an aged horse with weight issues either, but yes I have heard of them from various sources, including Stockies and just talking to friends about whats happening with their oldies in general chit chat situations. They are a very popular feed, much like cool max. Now if you told me you didnt know what cool max was then I would think you had led a real sheltered life LOL.

6. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

QSS I don't think Cav meant it like that. To be honest I thought Gumnuts grew on trees as well hahaha!! I tend to buy the feed I always use and not look at other feeds as I do not have time/need etc to look at anything else.

Another thing is I try to avoid talking about horse feed with others because I have my own feed regime and don't want to change it so cannot see the point of the discussion.

But now I know not all gumnuts grow on trees!! Thanks for educating us on this. We do really appreciate it. :):):):p

7. snoopydoo

snoopydoo Well-known Member

So glad it wasn't just me GTD!!! LOL!!! It took me ages to realise that they weren't.well.....NUTS!!! *#)

8. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Thanks GTD yes that is what I meant. And no I have no idea what Coolmax is or its benefits. This does not mean I lead a sheltered life, I have just got a feed routine that works for my ponies and have never needed to make changes to it for years and years. :) But this thread has certainly opened my eyes to whats available.

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Exactly..if it ain't broke, don't fix it**)

I am discovering a whole new world of feeds and supplements having a baby horse for the first time in decades:eek:

10. Go the Distance

WE still love you QSS don't stop educating us challenging souls. You are making headway with us!!:):)*

11. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Oh for sure I am not questioning QSS's valid opinion at all! :)

12. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

If you havent heard of commonly bought feeds, then you dont know what is in it, then how can you call it poo?

There are quite a few feed experts on Stockies, who can just about list down to the last tiny ingrediant of a lot of these feeds.

Im sounding nasty, but educate yourself by reading the feed ingrediants before making judgement calls that its poo.

13. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Well Gumnuts are Fantastic for most age
    Also they have lots of the vits etc already in them depending on how much you feed and how much Vits you need then you may have to add extra
    My Boy LOVESSSSSS his gumnuts lol also so does my little mini 13 yr old who only gets a few
    I love Stockies cos we are Always learning different things **)

14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

QSS perhaps you should read my very first post about what I was referring to as "poo" and also again as the thread progresses where I commented that perhaps my "title" for this thread was not correct but how it managed to attract a lot of people's attention (Over 6,000 views actually!). Had I the opportunity, I would change the title but at the time I was referring to "crap" or "poo" feeds that I considered to be "weirdo supplements" like pumpkin and rosehip etc and was making no reference to "commonly bought feeds". :) Ok?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  15. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Hi QSS, when at uni one of my most shocking lessons was on digestive systems when we were told horses ought to eat their poo.

Rabbits also don't have the complex efficient gut of a ruminant but make up for this by passing their food through a second time to extract more nutrition
    (in case you hadn't noticed they have soft poos for munching and hard poos for dumping).

We were told horses, likewise non-ruminants, should too but (thankfully) haven't caught on to eating their poos...yet.

16. Go the Distance

Your right Trojane. I did raise joeys for years and as soon as they got the runs we would get some adult poo fresh from a roo that was running around wild on the farm and make a 'soup' out of it. We would then mix it with the joey milk in the bottle. Stopped the runs immediately.

Can't beat roo poo soup!! I have heard of vets tubing horses doing this with a healthy horses poo with good results too.

17. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

What does it really matter if people want to feed the odd thing??? Our pony gets GRASS and the odd bit of hay. BUT i also use the John Olearly "drench" as a preventative to colic. Is it odd, yeas it is, have i had colic, NO i have not! Each to there own';'

18. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Hey well if horses should be eating poo then the title of this thread suits lol....technically everything and anything they eat is poo anyway because thats what it comes out as!!! PMSL!!:D

19. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Well today I went into local stockfeeders and received some great help from the lady there who told me all about Pegasus Studmaster and Mitavite Breeda. I have used grower weaner pellets before (the cheap ones) and had no problem but after this thread I really wanted to know more about what I was giving my ponies. So got the rundown and look forward to seeing how they go on the new additional feed to the Chaff and pony cubes over the next few months. **)

20. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

Cav, thats great. BUT stockfeeders will market certain products for a reason .... They don't ( allways ) give you an honest opinion :( they are in the game to make $$$