Why do you feed your horses so much poo?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Cav, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Good idea HCF! I was surprised yesterday by some products when you can buy a cheap variety in a plain bucket for $X then you go put a flash company name, posh labelling and add nothing different but you then pay $XXX for it.

I thoroughly researched Pegasus feeds on the net before going with that. I wanted a pellet or museli that was easy to play around with and came up with Pegasus. Works a treat for me.

Not saying that it will work for everyone though as everyone is individual.

2. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

yep! some of those "cheaper" products are actually much better than some of the fancy looking ones!

even the ones over east i compare as you can order just about anything online, sometimes with free delivery!!

i buy by sepplements online, go to getprice.com.au and find which store is selling it cheaper at the time!!

as for pegasus-i love them, my fav is equibalance!!
    i have used performax before and studmaster, i think the pegasus range puts all the other pellets on the market to shame!! **)

3. norrishbex

norrishbex Well-known Member

And the beauty with the Pegasus range, is that you don't pay for freight from over east, as it is WA made.

4. horsescomefirst

yes, althought the prices have sky rocketed for them in narrogin anyway!!

i can hygain for the same price of pegasus #(

i can buy a pallet direct of milnes through my OH work and get it much cheaper but i dont have enough horses to feed 40 bags too!!

5. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Now that would be handy!! It sounds like an excuse to buy more horses hahaha :p

6. horsescomefirst

yeah! i was trying to find somone to go halves with me ages ago but couldnt!!

worked out $8.00 a bag cheaper too!!

7. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I dunno about pre mixed feeds, but this is the case with some supplements. Found this out while on an expedition to Bio John. I think the people who work there thought i was moving in *#)

And you will find that a lot of supplements use minerals and vits in forms you can buy on their own, which works out much cheaper if you only need to add one or 2 things.
    Classic ones are calcium and magnesium. All this talk of 'natural', 'organic', 'chelated' ... etc ... yeah maybe in some. But most are in forms you can buy in plain tubs or bags. Plain old calcium carbonate and magnesium oxide.
    Dicalcium phosphate is another you can buy in a tub on it's own. Phosphorus is added in this form. But it also contains calcium and magnesium.
    Vit E you can buy in plain tubs.

Once my cell provide finishes, i'll be re-doing my supplements.

Unfortunetly all this takes time. But it's worth it if you're counting your pennies.

8. horsescomefirst

exactly :)

jsut because they are in a "pretty" tub with "pretty" colours and a name like hygain, KER, Kohnke, vetsearch etc etc et does not mean they are any better! they certainly arnt cheaper!

its more anoying buying it all seperately and mixing it but it will save you many $$$!!

9. Cav

Cav Gold Member

what site do i find all these feeds on???:confused:

10. horsescomefirst

depends. you find a product you use, go to their website and they usually break it all down.

i sometimes buy off horsesuppliesdirect and they sometimes have breakdowns of products too.

i know the advaced feeds has all their products broken down on their website **)

11. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Oh I wouldnt know what half the feeds out there are these days as Ive been feeding the same stuff for goodness knows how long.

Also.....I suppose the thread title should be...What do you feed your horses and why? But hey at least the title I put got you all in here **):D:))*#)

12. weezal

weezal New Member

I buy from horsesuppliesdirect all the time because their warehouse is about 5 minutes from my horse hehehe.

13. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

What does it mean????? I thought it was healthy inside, healthy outside. Might have to go and rethink my feeding regeme then.

14. horsescomefirst

they are usually the most expensive, but i think have the biggest range.

now NV has their own online store too!! its great, shopping online and have it delivered to your door!! **)

15. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

What (or who) is NV?

Nature Vet?

16. horsescomefirst

yep **)

link removed, not a paid advertiser

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  17. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

:eek:
    Haven't read through this whole thread because it's 20 pages long!

Rocky gets:
    Hay,
    Chaff,
    Lucerne,
    Pellets,
    Sunflower Seeds,
    Lupins,
    Chia.

Lupins and Pellets are for weight gain. Nothing else will put the weight on him.

Rahni gets:
    Sweet f*ck all.

Gracie gets:
    As above. Hahahaha.

Hay and that's it! And the HiPo only gets a handful, and still looks like a whale on steroids.

18. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

I feed
    Chaff
    Copra
    Gumnuts
    Linseed
    Hay Roll
    Simple and my boy looks good on it lol

19. Cav

Cav Gold Member

??? Now theres a new one!! Gumnuts??? :confused:

20. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Gumnuts are a special pellet used for older horses and those prone to weight issues. Am surprised you havent heard of it, its quite a commonly known feed.