Why do you feed your horses so much poo?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Cav, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Ive been reading through a few threads recently and spoken with some people who have been complaining about why their horses arent putting condition on despite being fed all these feeds.

I really dont understand why people feed garlic, rosehip, pumpkin, slippery elm, aloe vera etc etc and all these other weird supplements or feeds as a part of their horses diet. I thought aloe vera was good for sunburn? So how can it be good for a horses gut?

Ive always managed to get mine looking great on hay, grass, chaff and pony cubes perhaps with a bit of molasses and electrolytes if needed.

Just wondering why people choose to feed their horses these "non horsey" foods??

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  2. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Sorry mods can you please move this to FEEDING :)

3. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I agree simple is best.

Right now my 2 are on summer grazing / stubble only and look fantastically healthy *cough* obese.

Complex diets are no good for guts imo.

Even when in work mine get simple simple, basic grain like oats and/or lupins, lucerne, chaff and a vit/min supp to make up for shortfalls. If they start to drop off (I wish!!) just increase the amounts.

4. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Mate I have mine down to 2 scoops of chia seeds and paddock feed only.

Any simpler than that is a stock block and paddock only.

5. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

Gee Cav your going to owe us one! :p

6. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Does that cover all their nutrient requirements? Problem I have is that the paddock feed my boy is on does not provide much nutritionally, other than fibre. So I have to supplement feed to provide him the nutritional support for healthy growing/development. Hes on this that and the other because none of the "complete" feeds were suitable.

I dont touch pony cubes. Might as well feed pollard.

7. Excelsior Centerpiece

Excelsior Centerpiece Well-known Member

aloe vera- aids digestion and gut absorption, reduces uptake of toxins in gut and facilitates absorption of vitamins C, E and B12

it contains vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B6, B12, Folic acid and Niacin, together with many minerals, including potassium, sodium, magnesium, zinc and iron, amongst others

but yea- i like to keep it simple.
    Wee is on pony cubes and oaten chaff. and a bit of dolamite and vit/minerals

8. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I think that some of these 'strange' supplements may be beneficial to horses lacking in something or the other, or in special cases, but I am not sure how much evidence there is to prove that they achieve what people think they achieve...

I would say that the sort of people who are feeding their horses lots of additives and natural remedies are also the same people who themselves take herbal treatments and supplements... I could be wrong.

I have tried (in the past) all sorts of old wife's tale supplements and herbal stuff. I am not convinced that any of it really worked.

I like feeding my horse a pellet or mix that is balanced with all vits and minerals that they need. Manufacturing companies spend millions on research to put it into an easy to feed form.

I, like you Cav feed a very basic diet, hay, chaff, a bit of lucerne, and a bit of premixed feed.

Occasionally if i am selling a horse on behalf of someone who needs to look good quickly, I use a higher protein feed like soya bean meal.

I am sure many people will swear by particular remedies and herbs/supplements. I don't doubt that these have worked for their particular horse - all horses are different and need to be fed accordingly. I am thankful that I don't have to feed any special stuff to my horses.

9. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

found one yet?

10. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

Hmm premix pellet type feeds have also been called 'crud' as far as some are concerned.

What is wrong with feeding the following:

oaten hay
    chaff
    barley or oats
    vitamin supplement
    Rice bran

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

You must remember or at least, acknowledge Cav, MANY horses are different, some cope on plain/simple feeds, other's need "extras" (or goodies).
    Some TB's couldn't cope on what you feed, they'd lose condition, or for some ponies, they may get TOO fat.
    Again, what suits my horse, or yours may not suit Joe Blogg's nags down the road. ;)

I fed Aloe Vera Gel with recommendation of my vet & Bruce Ferguson.
    Not feeding it now (was 10 mls a day for 2 wks), but she's now eating with gutso & has perked up in many ways.
    Yep, i was one that would say "stick things like that up ya bum".... but my mind has changed. ;)

I don't feed Pony Cubes - crap IMO, chooks & the pigs love them LOL... molasses, mine aren't given that neither, i even try to limit feeds coated in molasses... though i DO feed Grotorque - has molasses.

We don't have paddock feed out here so i do feed lots of hay.
    In my feed shed is:
    grain (oats),
    legumes (lupins),
    lucerne chaff,
    FFS,
    oaten chaff (don't feed it to those with adlib or lots oaten hay),
    Grotorque,
    several Vit/Mins (Advantage, Equimin & Lactating Mare Supplement),
    Salt,
    Canola Oil,

Humidimix (Electrolyte),

Whey Powder (was used used for foal weaned at 8 wks but didn't think much of it LOL),
    Parrafin Oil &
    Epsom Salts &
    got several bags of Studgro & Breeda i'm not feeding, it's just taking up space!

I don't feed everything to one horse, like my Welsh filly is just on lucerne chaff, Advantage, Oil & hay & she looks great!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2011
  12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

CDA..good point but how many of these people that feed their horses these "strange supplements" have actually had their horses tested to prove they are lacking in something??

Dont get me wrong Im not having a go at anyone who does feed this stuff despite me thinking its a crock of cockapoopoo but just curious what drives people to spend so much money on so many different feeds/supplements and the lengths people go to, especially if its making no difference to their horse/pony/chicken :p haha remaani guess my ponies are like chickens then aye bokbok :p By the way do you want to sell the breeda (which I do give to my broodmare who has foal at foot)?? :)

13. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Well.......I prefer it simple. I dont like spending money **)

I dont like worming. It kills the dungbeetles that are an essential part of the eco-system here.

So I feed Garlic - and I have not problems with worms. Proven by worm counts **)

I do think however - that the use of supplimentry, and herbal remedies is in over use. Just beacause it works for some - WHY use it for everything.

I have fed Slippery Elm to a horse showing trauma induced stomach discompfort. It worked for her. She isnt on it anymore.

I feed Rosehipsto a mare that was recovering from an absess - and her general 'vitality' needed tweaking. Rosehips are high in vitamin C - and many other wonderful things. It seems to do the trick **)

She has always struggled with a less than interested digestive system, and is a fickle eater. She is an ex-racer, with a permanent target on her - she is ALWAYS getting herself into trouble.

I - just for a laugh, and to see what happened - started her on Country Park Herbs - Summer blend, and NOW her appetite is oustanding, she is finally putting on vitality, and is reflecting the feed she is getting and best of all - she looks thoroughly pleased with herself!

Her diet was balanced before (feed XL, and Kohnke) - and even though she didnt look bad at all, in the flesh - she just didnt look marvelous either, And this 'viva le life" was a fluctuating thing.

I currently have a young fella on stable rest, on muscualr rehab programme. He is on peppermint leaf, Rosehips, Yarrow, Gotu-Kola and Hops.

All for the same reasons I would take them for.

Yarrow - Circulation booster and anti-inflammatory.
    Rosehips - HIgh in Vitamin C. This needs a boost due to his environmental changes he is copeing with.
    Gotu-Kola - Excellent for Muscular problems and regeneration.
    Peppermint - very good for nerve activity, calming, soothing and a gut tonic. This guy is stabled, and the maintenance of his digestive system is very important. He has acsess to hay all the time through a slow feeder, but once again - he is not in an ideal situation for healthy gut flora.
    And Hops - he is a generally young, active, involved and keen gelding. I need to limit his physical activity to a strict programme, and I feel that a little bit of assistance in this area wouldnt hurt in keeping his anxiety levels at being confined to a minimum. It is also important that his physical body is kept relaxed to assist in the rehabilitation of his issues. Not unlike a dose of Anti-depressants, or Anti-anxiety drugs for a human undergoing physical rehabilitation **)

BUT - I certainly wont be continuing this when he is better! its a cost that wont need to be spent.

On the topic of horses not normally eating these things.....how do you know ;) They are naturally grazers and foragers......I have had the tops of my lavender, and the side of my fennel plants attacked as I have ridden past before :)

Heck......I even found the whole herd standing aroundthe roo shooters Ute one day.....LICKING the back of the blood spattered tray......They'll try anything! and even go back for more if it doesnt kill them..... :)*

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  14. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Yes a big fat smoochie :) ba hahaha NOT.....thanks though appreciate your help **)

15. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Actually I do have to laugh.....the other day I let the Gelding I was speaking about into a smaller paddock area for 15 minutes.

First thing he did was go and eat a few nuggets of someone elses maure....good one dude :eek:

I wondered then how often this happens - and just as he is confined, and does have acsess to a wide variety of horses manure - I have not noticed it much before. I know it happens - as him, and another mare occaisionally give you suspect smelling smooches.... :eek:

I didnt freak out - after all, their digestive system is supposed to consume a certain level of faeces....apparently....if you look at it very clinically..

I shook my head and though....'well - that would go down a treat on stockies eh'..... :}

So when I read your thread title I had to laugh...."OMG...someone knows?" :p

16. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Your ponies are too nice to be chickens! :)*
    I "think" the Breeda & Studgro is sold well being swapped for more lupins & oats, there is 9 bags all up - but if they've not been picked up by the weekend, i'll pop you a PM as i don't need them & they are taking up room. Won't put them in the drums as that's saved for the grain.
    We are going to Midland on Sat so if you are around & the bags of Breeda haven't gone, will sort something out.

17. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Completely agree with you Cav..... its amazing how some (note I said some not all...) people feed a million and one expensive supplements, get bowen, readings, chiros blah blah blah.....but if the horse actually gets sick they whinge and moan about having to pay vet bills :}

All my pony gets is chaff, hay and liberty.....and a carrot if he is a good boy :)*

I would feed him pony cubes - if he would eat them, and ive really tried! Tried feeding him nothing else for weeks, he just refused to eat them. But gobbles up his liberty no probs!

18. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

I do like to replace the electrolytes and also feed a trace mineral supplement ( Equlibrium or Equimin ) as well as vitamin E and and a couple of other things, I have a growing young horse and an "older" ( 10+ ) horse going back to work after a few years break. They are on pasture and also hardfed, WA soil is so poor that IMO they need the extra supplements, especially calcium and magnesium, however, I do not feed herbs. But if I think they would be of benefit I would most certainly try them.

Hey Cav, Aloe Vera is actually proven to be good for all sorts of gut irritations and also garlic is good for the immune system ... so yea, each to their own. I rather see people feeding the "unnecessary crap" to their horses than not. The soil in Australia ( unlike NZ ) is poor so horses on pasture / hay generally need the supplements.

But I suppose you were talking about herbs etc. though ?

19. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Read their info..Equine Chia Info

Brochure

Clearly you need to feed more to a horse in full work, or a growing horse, but the feed down here is that lush and paddocks well fertilized I have the problem of keeping weight off in the paddock not worrying about if they have every single micro nutrient need met ever second of the day.

Fully agree with you on pony cube and most cube type mixes that contain any bran or pollards as binder or filler.

20. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

Sorry cav, hit the reply before got to finish ...

In a case of an animal looking poor / not quite right, I do think that proper vetenary advice takes you A LOT further than experimenting with herbs. And it's actually cheaper to get a vet to check your horse out than buy various herbs randomly

SO it's up to how you look at it, whats unnecessary cr@p and whats not ... I don't think that Chamomile and Rescue Remedy work and would not bother but I know others and swear by it. No skin of my nose if they use it though !!