why do ppl dislike standardbreds so much?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by jlnew, Apr 7, 2010.

1. kp

kp Well-known Member

As Painter said. you do what you want with your horse. If you wish to do breed shows go for it. Don't let one bad result or people with negative comments deter you.

As for halter showing at breed shows I do often wonder. When I look at some of the most successful halter horses they do look nothing like what a standardbred horse should look like. Or had faults that should have seen them at the bottom of the line up. And before anyone has a go at me for bagging someone elses horse, one of the horses I am referring to was one of my own. But a breed show is a breed show and the result in that breed is one persons opinion. If you get upset over the result, don't go. Its as simple as that.

2. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

I can see where EVP is coming from, and i have to say i agree. I don't think her comments are aimed at anyone or are bashing the breed.

I think her comments are very relevant, and basically say that there are 2 different 'breeds' for every breed. One working horse, and one show horse. Same as her example of show/working dogs.
    None of the dogs bred for shows would survive in a working environment. The german shepherd's hips and back legs would come apart. The dacshounds back would break. The pug wouldn't be able to breath. The bulldog wouldn't be able to give birth. The list is endless. Yet these same characteristics are what is being rewarded in the show ring.

Same with horses. EG, show Arabs are (used to be anyway) so fine that they would probably break apart in the first 10km of an endurance ride. Show QH are too big, too fat and too upright in their legs to be able to do any work. Again, the list goes on. And again, these traits are the ones being rewarded.

And from a welfare standpoint, it's always these show traits that lead to low quality of life.

And this is where i agree with EVP. That we have 2 breeds of everything. One to ride and one to show.

And for me, this is also a reason why SB haven't really taken to the show world.
    Because most are not bred for riding, showing or competing. All the SB riding horses are failed pacers. Bred with pacing in mind, with that type of conformation that makes them a faster pacer. Not the type of conformation that makes them a good (and healthy) riding horse. So the judges are trying to judge SB by some show standard that pacing horses don't have.

But i honestly don't want to see SB go this way. Bred to look like TBs. I want to see them judged on what makes them a SB. A good and purposeful and healthy riding horse. But still a SB in its own right.

3. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

wow, EVP, I dont agree with a lot of what you say, ( not trying to be rude, just we have different opinions on things) but I really agree with this.

4. kp

kp Well-known Member

Good post cornflower. Except not all ridden standardbreds are failed race horses. My three ridden standardbreds all raced extensively with a good deal of success. One of them won 22 races, another 16 races and the other 9 races. All except one of the horses I have shown were raced, most showed exceptional talent as racehorses. I don't think they should be judged as saddle horses as they aren't bred to be saddle horses, as simple as that. They are bred to pull a cart while going fast.

5. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Just while we are at it - Look out for Wagin Woolorama Breed Section 2011 March, Next year.
    We (if we can find judges that are willing to do so ) will be bringing the introduction of breed classes judging the 'Race' type - as well as the 'Show/ pleasure type'.

The types ARE totally different - and should be accomodated/Judged accordingly **)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Hallelujah!

7. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Standardbreds are awesome horses, great for beginners, never seen a hot one (retired). They are quiet and stress free. My first horse i could do anything with and had so much fun while my friend with a tb couldnt even bush ride without getting worried. Majority of them self load and they all tie up while the tb's a have seen take years of floats training and none of them tie up, though doesnt help in racing industry they are encouraged. They are also broken in completely differrent also.

8. glam

glam New Member

Well I love my 2 boys both standies of course.

I'm so lucky to live in QLD we Have 2 standy associationsyep 2! both are BIG on education!!!!.

I do beleive thats where the standy often comes unstuck. I sent my retired boy off to a breaker for his training - why not most others breeds do. Now we have weekly dressage lessons, he is only 4. And my other boy will spend a week shotly on some refinement -he trots & canters beautifully (but was brought for trail riding).

I have no desire to be a champ but yeah we are going to go out and about in dressage, hacking and maybe hunter classes next year. They are sensible, willing and they do learn quick, . The owner/rider just needs to put the time and work in. But such wonderful calm horses. Yes their are exceptions like all horses.

Oh and I love the brand

Dont blame the breed, cos the owner hasnt put the effort in. A good standy is a BLOODY good horse.

9. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

EVP - i thought it funny how you said mini poodles are not for the sheep yards as we have a mini poodle x mini schnauzer who a few years ago (now v/deaf!!) was a verygood yard dog though not so good in the paddock (legs were just a little small!!) I just had to laugh :p

with regards to standys we have one who is georgeos (if you take off the head he is a tad ugly - most of ours are :D) we often get asked what breed he is before people see the brand that is - most seem to think hes a wormblood or something lol - hes brillient for the jobs we ask of him but i could see he wouldnt be v/good in a hack ring and he doesnt have the movement for dressage but for us he is worth his weight in gold. We can put almost any one on him, we pony out breakers and young stock with him and never a back ear or raised leg though he's also good at bringing colts down a peg (or ten!!) with out being really bully about it. Though we love him it's not a breed we would by often as (and others have mentioned it) the resale value is not great.

Any way thats just my opinion

Lacey

10. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

This thread has been quite interesting. Quite a life of its own. We started with how to get the breed more recognised amongst the general riding community to now discussing correct confirmation for racing vs showing.

I think there are a few champions of the breed, who are doing their utmost to bring the standy to the wider riding community. I also think there are a few people with very thin skins and lost sight of what this thread was originally about.

I will back up Smash on the reality that every breed has its lovers and haters. Just like I know a few who are colour blind as well. (I have an excuse to say I will never own a grey again, they are just too hard to keep clean LOL). There are those that have to whole wall eye thing.

Just like Im a poodle lover (miniture, but hate toys). I have no time for cats. Wouldnt mind one in the stable but dont want one in the house. Dogs are all house dogs. It boils down to people's experiences with certain breeds, and they then have to have a few positive or negative experiences with the breed to get them to change their opinions.

11. Last_Hope

Last_Hope New Member

Last year I recieved my first horse, a 3 year old filly off the track SB. The first horse I ever broke, she was amazing, we bonded so well. They have so much potential. They just need to be given a chance, Look how far ppl have come with thoroughbreds these days, most of them make awesome mounts.

12. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Thanks KC - yep thats right! I learnt SO MUCH from my stbred, but in teh end my coach advised me that if i wanted to progress further, i needed a 'better' horse (ie one that didnt find the work SO hard). Question was not about breed, it was about ability. I wouldnt buy a stbred for an FEI potential horse, BUT most riders dont achieve or even want to achieve that. Most dont even get to medium, and Buckley was good enough for up to that... PS i didnt buy my WB to "replace" Buckley - infact i bought him BEFORE Buckley injured himself! It is just unfortunate that it happened the way it did :(

Problem with breeding stbreds for halter classes is that this adds to the oversupply of stbreds in general. It goes against the purpose of the association (ie to encourage post-racing careers for stbreds). That just adds to number of horses starving in back paddocks or being sent to the nackers.