why do ppl dislike standardbreds so much?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by jlnew, Apr 7, 2010.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

You must have different shaped STB thats one thing we have never had a problem with when we re trained them for people, the saddle always sat were you put it never rolled and never went forward they had a very good wither, your description to me would fit more the QH shape.

I really can't understand the big deal everyone makes about the STB they are a great horse for a lot of people, if you look back in a lot WB bloodlines they are in a few of the old lines, this is how they often get that Elevated trot for dressage.

Can't say I would have one for myself for riding but it doesn't mean I would bag them, have seen to many young people and older enjoy them, but once they move on to a riding bred horse they never go back to the STB.
    :))

2. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

My first horse was a Standardbred mare that I bought for $100, way back when I was 18. Everyone always said what a lovely looking horse she was. I've never had another Standardbred ( or another mare) because I've moved on to Warmbloods and I prefer geldings ( yes, I'm sexist :) and I can't say that I'd ever buy another SB not because I don't like them as a breed..they just aren't suitable for the type of riding I want to do now.

3. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

i do slightly agree with some people of course there not gonna win the olyimpics etc but there sound and safe

4. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

done mate. and did you know you get an email telling you it's full too? isn't that clever of stockies!??

5. painter

painter Well-known Member

I've always wondered why the pace (or more correctly the rack) isn't valued here like it is in America? Capitalising on the inbred gait characteristic of the breed for racing under saddle would certainly seem a sensible thing to do - could even be a feature event on race days.

I know most people hate to ride the pace, I must be weird because I find it very comfortable (crook hip, back, neck, knees and all), but definitely not in an english saddle, only in a western one (my nearly 20 yo will occasionally pace and at her age I think she deserves the right to do some things without correction).

6. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

a very slow pace is so comfy, its like a jog but smoother. my very first standy wasnt a trotter, he would walk, pace, canter.
    but the bugger could canter slower than my firends dressage horse could.
    \ haha, my friend got herself a standy later on because of the way that boy of mine moved. unfortunately he was a sick horse, and altho he blitzed halter classes at all the shows (she was based in bunbury back then) she had toput him down when she transfered to melbourne, he was just too ill to sell on or take with her.

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

I use the pace (or rack, or amble, or whatever you want to call it). It's a useful extra pace to have in endurance rides and exercises different muscles in a different way.
    OH rides our STB in the pace cos it's easier than learning to rise to the trot :p. And bless him (horse not OH!) he can work out when to use what gait, so with me he has 4 (walk trot pace canter) and with OH only 3 (Walk pace canter).
    Smart horse...

8. My first horse was a SB, before my instructor saw the brand on his neck she commented on how well he moved and that he would make a great hunter. Then when she asked what breed and i told her she quickly took it back!! I loved him to pieces and he was a great confidence builder. I had found it very difficult to get help (as in lessons) having a sb? Then i got an exotic breed and now people are offering their help left right and center! But to get back to your quote i really loved my sb the pieces (RIP) he was so comfortable and his canter once established was like a rocking horse! His temperament was unflappable

9. i like this quote **)

10. FYI
    Breed characteristics (Wikipedia)

'The Standardbred is heavier in build than the Thoroughbred, but still shows quality and refinement. Standardbreds tend to be more muscled and longer bodied than the Thoroughbred. They also are of more placid dispositions, as suits horses whose races involve more strategy and more changes of speed than do Thoroughbred races. Standardbreds are considered people-oriented, easy-to-train horses. They are generally a bit heavier in build than their Thoroughbred cousins, but have refined, solid legs and powerful shoulders and hindquarters. Standardbreds have a wide range of height, from 14.1 to 17 hands (57"-66"), and most often are bay or the darker variation of bay called "brown," although other colors such as chestnut and black are not uncommon. Gray and roan are also found. The tobiano pattern is seen in some New Zealand-bred horses.

There are two basic types, trotters and pacers. As the name suggests, the trotter's preferred racing gait is the trot, where the horses' legs move in diagonal pairs, when the right foreleg moves forward so does the left hind leg, and vice versa. The pace is a two beat lateral gait; Pacers' forelegs move in unison with the hind legs on the same side.

However, the breed also is able to perform all other horse gaits, including the canter, and pacers can be retrained to trot'.

11. painter

painter Well-known Member

I've come across this attitude quite alot in real life, (not on stockies), and I've also heard snide comments on the sidelines at competitions. A very good dressage instructor was recommended to me recently who won't take on students with standardbreds#( I can understand why someone would choose not to have a stb (or any breed) personally, but to not want to help another person who is paying you to do so...smacks of either elitist snobbery or lack of ability as an instructor#(

Get rid of the neckbrand and I would bet money more standardbreds would be seen out and about than TB's.

12. Yep, its amazing, i have not come across this personally on stockies either but definatley when i took my stb out. From instructors right down to buying gear at the shop with the negative attitude, a sales person wouldnt even help me when i was looking to buy a saddle after i told her i was buying for a stb! people can say there is no racism towards them but unfortunatley thats all i have ever come across!

13. I thought that the 'pace' and rack are different, the pace is lateral movement where the rack is an exaggered trot?

14. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

I'm not getting into this debate..... but....

one thing that confuses the bejeezus out of me.... is how a few STB's (not naming names) who are consistently supreme at breed shows in their STB classes.... don't look anything like STB's.:confused:

Now that I know what STB traits, conformation etc are.... :eek:

15. pso

pso Gold Member

yup SP- the rack is lateral 4 beat, the pace is lateral 2 beat**)

16. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

so the rack is more like a canter? but not?? lol correct me if i rong lol :eek:

17. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Actually if you read the Standard of Excellence, most of the SB's that are supreme at breed shows DO conform to the SOE :) My bloke falls down almost everytime cause he is shorter couple than pretty much 90% of the SB's out showing. Personally, I prefer a shorter coupled horse for riding but it gets me everytime in a breed show. Much prefer to ride tho so not going to go find a longer backed horse just to win at a breed show. I think in probably 9 times out of 10 in a breed show, the judge has actually said something along the lines of " lovely horse but the other horse is just more true to type" So I am not sure where you are getting your info from? If it is from EVP's post of cow hocks etc, trainers may like it, but it is still not correct conformation and a race horse WILL (9 times out of 10) eventually break down with any legs faults. The SOE lists things like "length in the back, head should neither be convex or concave, strong HQ's, straight legs with no deviations etc etc" That is off the top of my head. I couldn't see ANY judge putting a cow hocked horse over a correct horse?

18. pso

pso Gold Member

rack is more of a running walk- but with the head/neck (and back) stiller...so it is good for disabled people and people with back injuries...The pace can be a bit more 'sideways' as there is more of a moment of suspension between the weight carrying sides of the horse

19. CoUrTzZ_94

CoUrTzZ_94 Guest

ok thats pso thats really interesting my boy rarely paces on when nervous and all i say is "trot on" in a stern voice then he fine..

20. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Actually Gaia many horses in many disciplines "break down", not from conformational FAULTS, but from the sheer act of being a performance animal especially at an elite level! The rigours of racing or performing at elite level on a variety of surfaces causes "stress".......even human athletes have periods of performance induced 'injuries'....and they don't have "conformational faults"........its an occupational hazard.

Cow hocks are so common in the standardbred breed as to be virtually a given in their breeding....and if it isn't outright cow hocks then it certainly is "wide apart" behind.......try watching a pacer come down the last 400 metre straight with a front on shot and you'll see what I mean.
    The very nature of "the pace" is that wide apart action!

The biggest issue for standardbreds is not "breaking down" per se, but CONCUSSION injuries due to track training. Try pounding the pavement day after day and see how well your joints hold up. Joint conditions make up 90% of all career ending injuries. Closely followed by tendons.......and all these are exaserbated by CONCUSSION.

Any line-up judge who put down a cow hocked standardbred over a post legged straight "correct" standardbred should spend some time at breeding farms or LARGE eastern states training stables......thats where they'll see "the typical standardbred" who's indicative of the whole breed.....
    Not one that has been manipulated or morphed into a horse that could be mistaken for a TB! A standardbred and a thoroughbred SHOULD look different!!!!...*shock horror*
    Sounds to me like some people are using their own definitions of 'equine beauty and perfection' probably gained from other breed interactions, and squeezing them onto and into a breed that has been doing 'very well thankyou' for over 100 years?

Trying to put a perfectly good square peg into a round hole....on the end of a lead.

Beauty and function is not just about what is pleasing to a judges eye......it's about a form that allows the function.........especially in a breed that has no other discipline categories (say like the QH)
    Clydies have feathers and big feet, Arabs have that tail carriage, ect......so many breeds have distinct and inherent traits that make them who they are......for what they do.

How sad it would be if the only way to tell the difference between a standardbred and a thoroughbred was to lift the mane.
    I call that a lost identity.........:eek:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010