why do ppl dislike standardbreds so much?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by jlnew, Apr 7, 2010.

1. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

we all have seen how they are as capable of being a dressage or jumper as any other horse.
    the pacing is a training issue, not all standys pace, and once trained as a riding horse, they rarely pace.
    all mine can and do canter, trot, pace, walk and gallop. all of mine rarely pace, its something they only do when very excited or confused about what they are being asked.

so why are they disliked so much? is it because its hard to find one in a trendy colour? is it because they arent "pretty" like an arab? is it because they dont come withthe designer price tag?

why?

(im just curious, nothing anyone says is going to change my mind, i just wonder why so many adds state - NO STB)

:))

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Oh please.....not again

3. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

i agree it doesent need ot be done again, look back thoruhg the forum you will find hundreds of these threads. all the standy people are sick of positng there views adn everyone else is sick of hearing them!! we try to just live in peace now haha

4. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  5. smash

smash Well-known Member

ohhh i am up for a bit of honesty today LOL LOL
    if your standardbred looks well and performs well, then it is an outstanding horse.
    if it goes around like a ganga, and looks like one, well you are going to hear about it LOL
    arabs cop the same
    T/B cop the same
    pinto's cop the same
    WB cop the same
    every god dam breed cops it.
    if people a trashing a breed, it is because they are standing there watching a certain breed look and go like cr@p.
    when you see a beautiful presented healthy looking horse, performing his heart out, everyone will comment on what a STUNNING HORSE it is.
    NO ONE turns their nose up at lovely horse !!!!!
    regardless of breed.

cheers

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. TB4Me

TB4Me Well-known Member

popcoooooooorn!
    Adverts that say no SBs are like ads for beginner ponies that say no OTTBs. Sure there might be OTTBs out there that are suitable for a beginner, they are just a small minority.

7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Like others have said, been done before, but like jlnew I do wonder why people put "no STBs" on horses wanted ads. Then again some people put "no TBs" or "no Shetlands" in as well - and we all know there are horses that break the mould in every breed. It's all about stereotypes, and it narrows the pool of potential horses for those peple. For me, the more people that put no STBs the better cos then people like me get to pick 'em up cheaply.*#)

8. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

ah its been a while since our last stbred thread?

Those who say stbreds are awesome and as good as any other breed and can do anything, get off your bums and DO something with them! I did ;)

9. IbanezGirl

IbanezGirl Well-known Member

exactly. the market is over run with fugly looking stb's that have been incorectly ridden making them look even more fugly. if more people did something with them and really showed them off more people would be inclined to think of buying one.

10. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

STB'S only seem to get "attacked" in WA ive noticed..they are very highly regarded over here,and compete at high levels in dressage...rarely can you buy one under 3k...

11. IbanezGirl

IbanezGirl Well-known Member

correct me if im wrong. but over east they are more "trotters" and here they are "pacers".

12. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

There are many things that standardbreds cant do once they have raced because they have been trained from a young age ussually broken in as a yearling, just like ottb there bones havnt developed enough and they are put under a large amount of pressure, ending in constant soreness and sometimes ulcers etc For eventing, showjumping etc it doesnt matter how 'ugly' a specific horse is... its about how they work and ussually education, sooo its not always because there not stunning! **)

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

what level is "high level" dressage? I couldnt find any doing elementary (but would love to!).

14. feather feet

15. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

hmmm i couldnt find any dressage results above walk-trot (which isnt even an official test). I would be very suprised to find a horse who acheived more than mine in dressage - but pleasantly suprised! And he was HARDLY high level! lol

Also, a quick search of google shows that stbreds are just as cheap in Qld...

16. Katt13

Katt13 Well-known Member

On the site i found some in prelim under the results section!
    SAQ 2010 or something like that :)*

17. feather feet

Also, a quick search of google shows that stbreds are just as cheap in Qld...[/QUOTE]

ahh but google dosent show what is for sale locally in SEQLD..ie stockfeeders/ noticeboards/local paper**)

18. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

your challenge - find me a stbred being competetive in open dressage (elem or above). I will be happy to be proven wrong on this!

19. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

I normally stay out of these threads as i have heard so many things due to growing up in a family that raced, trained and bred standys i can go on forever with a list of why i have been told over the years of why they arnt liked very much.

but the main thing is they are bred for "pacing at high speeds in a cart" they really arnt saddle horses...

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I really like this reply **)