Why do people hate Parelli?

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Tam, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timony

Timony New Member

I went out with the guy once who had trained with Pat Parelli when he was still coming to Aus pre-marketing juggernaut.

Anyway, I went to a station in NSW with him to pick up two 4 year olds that had never been handled before - one had a dreadful gash from a steel picket across its chest. Within 10 minutes of doing the Parelli stuff, he was able to treat the cut. Hubba hubba that guy was hot! So amazing to watch. He as now gone on to working with Parelli and heaps of other famous horseman in the States and has developed his own methods of training and now teaches in Aus and the US.

Long story short, I think you take from it what works for you. I think a lot of horsemanship has been lost as horses are no longer for "work" and it is predominately women who are involved with them. I for one am guilty of humanising and spoiling my horse! I've done a tiny weeny bit of Parelli but am too slack to refine it. My horse and I muddle along together and get things done in our own way, but I do have an awesome riding instructor which is horse based rather than rider if you get what I mean. (its been a long day). Horsemanship!

I think if someone - not just Parelli - is restablishing horsemanship skills in the general horsie population thats great! There are are lot of people getting involved with horses without any experience. Ever heard of a young novice girl being given a race horse straight off the track by her parents who 'got it cheap'?.... Disaster

2. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I hear that Mr Parelli himself is in WA this weekend at the Watsons with the WA Police force.

Now that I would pay to watch.

3. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Go stalk the airport, Sharaway! :) You know you want to.

There was post above that said "as Parelli says all it takes is Love Language and Leadership in equall (sic) doses...".

Can the WA Police issue Mr P with a caution for flagrant abuse of alliteration? LOL He's the master of the pithy phrase to sell an idea.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  4. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Lin you know you cant sell with out a sales pitch, the pithier the preaching the more souls it converts lol.

5. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Where did you hear that Sharaway???
    I highly doubt that, lol. Was in Freo last night with the Watsons, they were taking the Clydesdale Dining horses for a training run. I'm sure if that was the case there would have been mention of it, lol......

6. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

I highly doubt it too Sharaway, Linda posts a personal blog daily and they are currently in Austria (not Australia LOL!)

As if they would bother coming to WA anymore, there just isn't the people intersted enough here to warrant it anymore.

7. lucky

lucky Well-known Member

Hey horsewest-how did the clydies go last night.Brent had said they were giving it a trial run!!!!!:D
    I did my ground skills course in October with 1 of their clydies!!!!!**)
    Cheers!:))
    (sorry to get off the subject a bit!!!!!!)

8. Horsewest

Horsewest Well-known Member

Hey Lucky,

They went great! Considering how many drunks and stuff were harassing them, they were so well behaved! They weren't their own horses, they were Alan's two, called Mate and Sonny from Clydesdale Dining
    Hope you enjoyed your course! I did my 1a earlier this month and loved it! Going back for a liberty course on Monday :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  9. Teddie1980

Teddie1980 Well-known Member

WOW this thread was started in 2003

10. lucky

lucky Well-known Member

Thats great to hear Horsewest-I did the course with Alan!!!!!
    I have a friend doing the liberty course next week too-will PM you her name!!**)
    Hope you enjoy your course-would love to hear how it all goes!!! That course is one I really want to do as well!!
    I am booked in to do the ridden part in April!!:)*
    Cheers!:))

11. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

Not enough $$$$ to be made, that is a shame for his diehard fans;)

12. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Lets face it you gotta make a living somehow. Gawd knows they have had their tough times as a business and have been screwed over aplenty in the past. It costs a fortune to bring the whole thing to Oz don't think you all realise how big the Sydney conference is to put at the SIEC, they flew a horse over from the US in 2007, but not last year. Let alone all the US staff and equipment they bring over.

13. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Wow! I guess it depends upon how much technology is required to support an act.

14. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

WOW Trojane.. hopefully you have supporting information to make this comment. as far as i know you can't operate a horse via remote control..

If anyone is into event organising at a decent venue they will understand... Sound, lighting, food for the patrons, seating, arena setup blah blah blah

Believe me i have ridden in private clinics taught by Pat and they are the best but why should he do them anymore. He has plenty better things to do than work with beginners, better to plan for the future cause one day he aint going to be around. If only Ray Hunt, the Dorrances etc.. put more onto video for us to learn from.. its too late when they are 6ft under, i'm grateful someone is.

15. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Yes, it costs to hire the SIEC (or any venue) and use its facilities for a clinic/show but what exactly would they need to bring from the US? Just themselves and staff, some merchandise. Ok if they need to bring a horse, bring one. (we don't have horses here?).

It's not like they need to bring the venue and their own lights, arena and stuff. The SIEC has them. They're not the Cirque de Soleil with the need for a special tent and equipment. :)

16. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Lin - my thoughts entirely.:)

Faxie - I presume PP would not perform in a modest venue any more than the likes of 20th century rockstars in their day!
    However ...when the euphoria of the high life loses its gloss, some stars enjoy giving back to their supporters and return to intimate venues under less publicity.
    Perth fans can only hope (or travel) :)

17. sparkie

sparkie Well-known Member

i dont think it is parelli's style people hate i think it is the "other" people who represent it incorrectly....it obviously works or it wouldnt have such a big name....what clicks for one may not click for another....i personally dont use the parelli style...i dont use any style but my own...thats the beauty of all these different types of styles we all get to mould them into one to make something unique for ourselves and our horses...i am always moulding...great fun....i respect anyone who is willing to show "their" secrets whether they are selling it for millions or just happy for people to watch it all helps someone in the end....

18. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

This is an old thread. I am going to close it now as it will end up going pear shaped - as often happens with these types of threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.