Why do horses dig holes?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Remaani, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Firstly it cant be boredom, he has lots of toys (rubber buckets, old rugs, the hose etc) that he's always playing with, paddocked during the day with a preg mare, has 24/7 access to a hay roll....

But the idjit is digging holes, deep holes! Break ya leg in type of holes!
    So far i've found 3 in the big paddock, 1 in the sand yard & just caught him digging a hole he started digging at 1yr ago!
    Not eating the dirt or anything (get's good vit/min supplement, is on both chaffs, Studmaster & Copra), just trying to get to china maybe? (gawd, take away Chinese! :D)

Why do horses do it?????
  2. smash

smash Well-known Member

it is normally a sign that they maybe sore, expecially if they stand in them?
  3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Cheers Smash.
    Not standing in it, just digging... but i did think he could be sore, mind you i should get someone out to see him anyway, its always beneficial, hell us people love a good massage. :)*

He goes from digging to swinging a bucket around, kick farting about.
  4. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

Wild horses dig for a water source. Is another horse threatening this one if he goes near the water trough? :)
  5. Cowgirl Kid

Cowgirl Kid Well-known Member

sore back??
  6. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Kylie face up to it mate, he is trying to escape your clutches by digging to China :D
  7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had a horse that'd dig big trenches while he ate his feed. I'd often forget and fall in them, they could get pretty big! Some where so deap that with his front legs in them he then couldn't reach his feed bucket on the gate (15.2hh horse).
    I always had to fill them in and move his bucket else where. I was told his mother did the exact same thing.
  8. Delrae

Delrae Gold Member

I had a young horse that used to dig craters in the paddock too.. but once he was in serious work he stopped it, I think it is just a fun thing to do
  9. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

Same reason my dog digs holes Its Fun!!! (usually reserved for the youthful if it's mature horse I'd be more concerned)
  10. palomino6661

palomino6661 Active Member

i always asked this question the answer i got from a good horse trainer the horses are been inpatiant and excited. thats my threy about it not cause there sore been tired up or doing it with out reason at all :)*
  11. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

my mums mare did that a couple of times one hole was big enough for her to be up to her knees. then she decided to dig a huge hole in the shelter. has stopped now
  12. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

do they dig holes with sore backs so they can ease pressure? i did not know that they did that.
  13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Cheers all.

Water source aint a problem at this time of the year... paddocks full of water! LOL... nar certainly not being threatened, he's boss of the property & his water bin is away from others.

Nic, hahahaha maybe so, but he wanna keep digging or is that swimming?, lol.

I'll just have to put it down to "being fun", lol.
    He's only 2.

Have a friend here atm & she's had a play with him, certainly not sore at all....... ;)
  14. Happypaint

Happypaint Well-known Member

Our 22 month old filly Flame is digging holes every now and then in the stable. It is a 3m x 6m stable that is attached to our round yard. Our two girls spend the day in a large paddock then are locked up in this area at night together. It is a big area and they can walk in and out of the stable freely. Flame digs in the same corner but not every night. We have put it down to either it being a spot that is warm & dry that she likes hanging out in or she is digging out a mouse there.......she chases birds & dogs etc so why not a mouse? (There are a few mice holes around the stable)

Bloomin horses..........they just love throwing curve balls at us to keep us on our toes just like the kids *#)
  15. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Your boy sounds very playful and active. He's probably tired of his toys and prego mares are no fun. He needs another boy to play with!! :D
  16. sss

sss New Member

Good thread! I have a horse that digs big holes then lays down in them I thought it might be something to do with ground being cooler he has plently of room to move (in over 300 acres) and other horses water and feed. he doesn`t seem to be sore and has regular bowen and massage treatments.

I `ll watch this tread with intrest.**)
  17. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Cheers sss.

The last hole in question isnt a good side to lay in, its small in width, but rather deep.
    I was watching him this arvo & he was not standing in it.
    Im curious though, as he'd be there digging, go get his pink bucket, throw it around, have a hoon, back & do some digging, the into the yard for a munch on his hay roll.
    Doesnt look depressed, bored (mind you i'd say he's bored in a way, his toys are sooo old, lol), sore, unhappy etc.

But what a crappy habit, its a deep hole, i'll get pics tomorrow.
  18. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Guess he wants a mate with him to play. :)
  19. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lol Ali has a Anglo gelding that has stayed here before & they get along wonderfully.... rough play, nothing nasty, just "boy stuff".

But he's in for showing & he'll probably get hurt, lol. :D
  20. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Yep, boys got to do boys stuff, real tough lol. :D But I can hear you Remaani.