Who wear a helmet?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Cavalier, Aug 31, 2004.

1. KINGSBONES

KINGSBONES Active Member

**)ZA ZA I agree with you 100% how i would like to see them go to a draft and tell them they are not mature!!!!I am a very mature person thanks very much and can also make my own choices. Like i said if we live life in a bubble may as well not live it at all. If your worried bout your head may as well not swim or wear a steel suit in case a shark gets you, or not drive a car in case you crash, Shall we tell the great surfers that they are not making a mature decision because they may get chewed on by a shark or knocked on the head by their board and may have their loved ones take care of them for the rest of their lives. Sorry but this thread asked for opinions and thats what people should give NOT critisism.:D

2. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

If you don't wear a helmet then it is you own fault if you get hurt.

I don't wear a helmet when I am working at home in my arena, hell I just got inside from riding around the block with NO helmet on. If I hurt myself then that is my problem, noone elses, that is why I have insurance.

I am an adult so it is my choice not to wear it when I am at home, I didn't have one on at the beach yesterday and I saw most of the people down there without one.

Seriously I think the fun police need to chill out!!!!!!

3. madison

madison Well-known Member

I agree that to wear or not wear a helmet is an individual choice but in the case of Kiwigirl and her insurance i have a sneaky suspicion that she had better check her policy because my understanding was NO appropriate safety gear NO insurance.

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I think your correct there Madison.

5. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

True, but then I am still Thinking f NZ where you have ACC (Accident compensation corporation) which I would be covered by, I am still getting used to OZ *#)

Really it is nobody's business what I do on my property, if I want to ride without a helemt who is anybody to tell me that I can't or I am immature. If you don't know me then you have no say in what I do or what anybody does really. I suggest people concentrate on yourself or your kids (if you have any) they are the only ones you can control.

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Not sure what good insurance can do if your brain dead but!

I think people need to remember that although its your body, your choice, its your injury or your death that will make alot of people suffer and hurt.

7. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

I used to not wear a helmet when going to the beach,
    but one time when I was galloping a mates horse on the beach and he fell over and I went HEAD first into the sand and had a head ache for quite some time! I now wear a helmet at all times, even when handling the horses after being kicked in the head and having 10 staples and memory loss

8. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

im going to wear a helmat at the beach this year. last time i went she got ran into by another horse and swung her head into mine. concussions are not fun

9. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

Personal choice, whatever.

Some people clearly don't understand the concept of risks. The risk of getting eaten by a shark are very low, the risks of falling off a horse, if you ride often is high. It happens daily. People are injured in campdrafts all the time. I know someone who's campdrafting friend never came out of hospital from a head injury suffered at a draft.

You manage the highest risks first and worry about the low risks later, if you want to. Most people have decided that helmets are worth putting on, the rest are yet to come to the same conclusion. Some call it immaturity, I call it cognitive dissonance.

10. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Well spoken Lin! :)

11. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

The whole helmet vs no helmet argument is rather strange to me.

Everything comes with risks, yes. Horseriding is dangerous even with safety protection. Personally I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to maximise that risk by deciding against head protection?? :confused:

Yes it's personal choice, but deciding against head protection is a pretty foolish choice - in my opinion.

The whole 'anything can happen anyway' argument doesn't make sense either. So because driving a car is dangerous, shall I just decide against wearing a seatbelt? Or because surfing is dangerous too, shall I just ignore shark or swell warnings because hey, anything can happen right? How about I leave off the knee protectors while rollerblading beause there's a chance I could get melanoma for not wearing sunscreen?

Nothing to do with paranoia or living in bubbles. It's plain, old fashioned common sense.

12. bellbells

bellbells New Member

Well after what just happened about 3 hours ago I am so glad i wear my helmet. I will continue to always wear one! Me and Goddess Lalita were riding our horses on the side of the road, There was an emu in the paddock next to us and even tho they have both walked past it before, they decided it was scarey today. Well My horse tiara took off onto the road and I almost stayed on but fell backwards and landed straight on my back and smacked my head really hard on the road. If I was not wearing a helmet I would be in hospital. I hit really hard!! My muscles are aching, but at least my head is ok. GL also fell off her boy but was lucky enough to land on the dirt. But she also hit her head and it was lucky she had a helmet on too. Now we are just sore and sorry, as opposed to in hospital!!!!

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Ouch BellBells, sorry to hear you fell off! Hope you feel better soon.

14. bellbells

bellbells New Member

Thanks! I hope so too :(

15. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

I wear a helmet more of the time, but then that's cause I'm schooling a 4yr tb... And I also was brought up with the idea that every time I rode, I have to ride with a helment. But the kid next door doesn't ride with one but that's simply arisen because he grew up on a farm and thats the sorta culture they have out there.

When you ride western pleasure, its against the rules to ride with a stack hat, it's gotta be a western hat. Even for childrens classes...

16. GarrynGirl

GarrynGirl New Member

I HATE helments with a passion but I would NEVER ride without one. I even took my helment with me to the USA where I did a fair bit of riding. Endured the taunts and uncool comments from the western riders but I didn't care.

I promised my family if I ride, I wear a helment.

I am proud I actually did convince a cowboy and his wife to buy a helments. Turns out 1 week later their old plod Mr Safety got frightened as cowgirl was mounting. The horse shot through an open gate dragging her with him and she whacked her head on the gate post. Result, one busted helment, very bruised and battered body but alive to say thank you to me. That made it all worth while.

17. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

It has been really interesting to read this thread for a couple of reasons....

1. I have a couple of fairly severe falls and I can't say that the helmet saved me, but both times I ended up with spinal damage (once requiring my neck immobilised for 6 months in a collar) and I thank my lucky stars that I took the precaution of having a helmet on - cause who knows what may have been the damage had I not worn one. Having said that, the fact that I have only ever damaged my spine leads me to ask (rather Mischeviously) if body protectors and neck support should also be worn???

2. I have been riding for over 40years and it is interesting to see people saying that they don't wear a helmet riding, when they are on the "safe" horse. but guess which horses I had my accidents on? You've guessed it.... the 'safe' horses - that is probably that you are more relaxed on these horses and take more liberties with their good nature....both accidents were caused by outside influences (dog attack / load falling off truck next to horse) so no matter how much I trust my horse these are things that I had no control over, I know that big accidents CAN and DO happen....

After all is said and done, it is still everyones own personal choice once they are legally adults, before then parents and instructors have a responsibility that wearing a helmet is 2nd nature

18. purplepony

purplepony Active Member

Has anyone seen the Point-Two vests? Check out the webiste, they aren't available here yet and are VERY pricey, but would you wear one?

Home