Who use what when floating?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Salinero, Feb 23, 2010.

1. pso

pso Gold Member

baby horse hasnt been out much- he usually wears the boots he will wear to be ridden when we get where we are going...:p

I have custom made bandage pads (one set made by susannah stud, other set made by me out of an old quilt)- I find those fybagee ones (the shaped ones) are quite hot and slippery.

Covering the knee and hock isnt that important IMO- more the tendons and the coronet (same as regular stable bandages)

2. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

hmmm i am very thingy about covering knees on my boy thus i made sunset change their design for me!

3. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

4. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I looked at a set of those Bucas boots when I was in the UK and was tempted to buy them (abit cheaper than that set listed) but it was still quite pricey. I didn't get them then and there ;cos I thought I'd get chance to go back to the saddlery store again before we left the UK but we didn't so I missed out :(. They are a great boot and you rarely see horses loaded up in the Uk without boots on, although to be honest I think they go over board. My younger brothers partner competes in dressage and her mare wears float boots, bell boots, a poll guard, a tail wrap and a woolen travel set when ever she sets foot near a float!! God, it'd take me longer to gear up than it would to travel there if I had to do that every time LOL.

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

these look really good and i know esy has them and is happy with them... i may succum and get a set too...
    eskadron

6. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I boot or bandage Hondy when I float him.
    If it's for shows it's also to keep his legs clean (3 socks).

If I bandage I use the padded towelling pads that aren't too thick. I find this important because it means that it's easier to mould them to the horses leg which means there is less chance of them slipping. I then use good long polar fleece bandages and I go from just below the knee/hock down to the coronet band. They also don't seem to get as hot as the fibigee (sp?) ones.

When I use the float boots I ALWAYS make sure that they are put on so that they cover the coronet band. If a horse loses it's balance in a float and steps on itself or another horse steps on it, it's most likely going to injure itself below the fetlock, especially around the coronet band so I always make sure I cover that.

Other precautions that I take is that I always float Hondy in his good padded leather halter. I use a rope halter for everyday handling but if there was an accident I would worry about him getting hung up in a rope halter and with the rope being narrow the pressure could do a hell of a lot of damage. This damage is less likely to occur in a padded leather halter.

I also use propper float tie ups. They are chain, covered in plastic tubing but most importantly they have a quick release clasp that doesn't matter how much pressure is on the clip, it's ALWAYS easy to undo. So if there was an accident and the horses were stuck or hung up it would be a split second thing to unclip and release them.

Whilst 99.9% of the time the protection is unnecessary, it's that 0.1% of the time that I protect for. As long as it's not harming my horses health (and with my float and the amount of ventilation it has etc) the prefer to err on the side of caution.

7. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Hey Beth - when you bandage do you cover hocks/knees? if so are you pads shaped?

I have same float boots as you (but altered to cover knees) and find it very hard to get them to cover pasterns (they are shaped around the fetlocks) so use bellboots.

8. pso

pso Gold Member

The only thing I dont like about eskadron, are the millions of velcro tabs (which arent all that durable ;))
    The Bucas ones look a funny fit around the hock?

Havent you got knee boots heif? Almost the only time a horse can hurt its knees (anywhere that is protected that is) is loading and unloading...easier to sweep out the float BEFORE you unload so it isnt slippery, and make sure you have a non slip ramp! most knee injuries are above where the boots/pads fit

ali- woollen travel set is useful in an accident if theres a fire- if the horse has a poly/synthetic on it will catch alight really fast- reducing any chance of getting the horse out...:)

9. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i have knee boots and knee combination brushig boots (both for road work - im very strict on this LOL) but both are painful in terms of fit and staying ON! lol...

And if injury is above knee it wont be a knee injury LOL Its the joint i want to protect, he had an accident as a foaly and has scars (shock shock, just like black beauty) - no interal damage (million xrays done) but am worried that scar is weaker and therefore am anal about knee protection... It is such a horrid place to have a wound.

10. pso

pso Gold Member

I've never had trouble with knee boots slipping- must depend on the brand (same as anything!)

The scar is probably the toughest bit of the horse!:D

11. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Good points Bethy about covering the coronet band - I always wince when I see float boots that are put on only down to the pastern - no wonder people then think they slip, as they are made to cover the coronet band! I'd rather have a horse walking on his float boot when he gets off than have him trodden on by his travelling partner.
    Good point also about tying up. I have 2 old crappy cotton lead ropes permanently tied in the float: when they get on I take off the good 12 foot rope and clip their halter to the old one. If they go down it SHOULD give way. If not, I carry a knife in the car.
    LOL at the comments about English people - at Pony Club over there you would get SHOT if you floated a horse without a full set of bandages or boots!

12. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

Heif, my bandages don't cover the knee but I buy the towelling pads off e**y and each set has 2 large pads and 2 smaller pads. I always buy 2 sets so I have a set of smaller pads and a set of larger pads.
    I then put the large pads on longways so rather than using the extra length to wrap around more of the leg I use it to cover up over the knee. Then I bandage from just below the knee so he can still walk.
    I would think that if he was to fall on his knee's it would offer some protection but I can't say how much.

I can see your concern with Quiz but I'm personally more worried about Hondy's lower legs than the knee's so I bandage accordingly.

PSO... you mentioned the cleaning out the float before you unload. That's the one thing that I always do but forgot to mention.
    Hondy is getting pretty good and moving his hind feet as required so I can get all the poo out before he gets off.
    I've also found that this helps teach patience because they're not getting off as soon as I drop the ramp.
    I do it mainly for 2 reasons... the first and major reason is because of the risk of slipping. I have the good non-slip rubber on my floor and ramp (the one with the half sphere bubbles all over it (like hard bubble wrap)) but after travelling a friends horse who does the sloppiest and grossest poo's in the float, it's safer to clean it up.
    The other reason is purely that it's a hell of a lot easier to clean up the poo before they get off because as they unload they invariably tread in and through it and spread it everywhere.
    But the safety reason is my main on... the less poo on the ramp and floor, the safer it is for them to get off.

13. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

Yep, in the UK they have a full travel wardrobe! We used to use boots or bandages, depending on the horse (some don't like boots), tail bandages all the way down, tail guard on those that like to lean on their butts, Thermatex, maybe a magnetic rug under for long trips with the advanced horses, but no poll guards. Would probably prefer to use poll guards now, as it just takes one good knock and you have a really nasty injury or a horse that now hates travelling!

After all that I was surprised to come here and see how little everyone uses! Personally, I prefer bandages for leg protection and will always tail bandage.

14. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

I also remove poo before i unload - i have the honeycomb stuff and it helps if its not stamped into the holes (i tend to use sawdust too though).

Hmm Bethy do you have a pic of Hondy bandaged up for floating so i can get an idea?

And PSO - what brand of knee boots do you use? The ones i have are old (thanks HG!) leather and wool jobs, the buckle up type. If i just about cut off circulation they stay up OK... But not well enough so i bought the brushing combination boots (Westropp) but they were designed by someone who's never seen a horse's leg i think! Any idea what the Clarendon ones are like?
    http://www.horsefair.co.uk/product....ory=related&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=124
    I wouldnt mind spending a bit on them if i knew they would stay put! Also, seen the Clarendon float boots?
    http://www.horsefair.co.uk/product.asp?cookiecheck=yes&P_ID=218&strPageHistory=related
    http://www.horsefair.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=216&strPageHistory=related

OOO - bella might be able to help re: clarendon products?

15. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

I think the reason so many people use very little here is there is a genuine risk in the heat sometimes less is more. Bandage bows do happen as do horses getting caught up in boots etc put on for supposed protection. I use weatherbeta floatboots most of the time but if its really hot and only one horse nothing. It has to be cool for me to leave a cotton on in the float never leave canvas's on. I protect my horses by only using an appropriate sized float (never realized ours was supposedly 'extended' till I looked at some new ones :eek:) I would never put my horse in a float with a bay leg or other hazards and drive like I'm carting water. At the end of the day boots only protect against minor cuts and abbrasions. Though my horses stand well if I had a kicker or a scrambler maybe I would feel differently but boots tend to slip when horses do that so maybe not.

16. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

i have a set of WB...
    they are bulky, too wide but not long enough, dont shape to the horse's legs well, 3 wide tabs dont allow them to be fitted snuggly to whole leg, if hock was cradled in the boot properly they would come to the fetlock, etc etc. I wont use them on my youngin as they just fit so poorly... i use them on Peiko (bought for him) or Buckley (if travelling with another hrose).
    [​IMG]

17. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

I don't have any of him at the moment Heif but when I take him anywhere next I'll get some pics for you.

18. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

these look OK too
    [​IMG]

19. Bethy

Bethy Gold Member

They look pretty good Heif. Though you'd need to be a bit careful that you didn't do the top strap up too tight on the front boots otherwise horsey won't be able to bend it's knee, which could then cause an accident.

20. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

agree - but they do look like they dip down at the back, so i think the top strap is just to hold the knee bits together as 1 (they dont separate when horse goes down)

still like look of eskadron ones though...