Who use what when floating?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Salinero, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I use them on the way to a show to help keep legs clean..lol. Otherwise I don't use them:)

2. polly11

polly11 Active Member

Ditto! What Goodie said!!**)

I think I've just got lazy in my old age!!

When we were living on a station in the Kimberley, we always booted up our privately owned horses when going to campdrafts. Our main road into town was a bit like a roller-coaster and the horses had to keep shifting their weight to accomodate the very windy road so sometimes a leg would get knocked. One of my geldings went down in the truck and the only thing that stopped him cutting his leg to shreds was the float boot. It (the boot) was unrecognisable as it was torn into confetti but the horses leg didn't have a scratch on it and the gelding competed the next day (after a vet examined him) with no adverse effects.

3. Jump Off

Jump Off Well-known Member

I always use padded wraps with polo bandages :)

4. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I'm too lazy to put float boots on. :)

If I had to float for more than a couple of hours I would probably put pads and bandages on. Luckily I never float that long!

5. buggalugs

buggalugs Well-known Member

used to always boot but these days its usually only on the way home from eventing... with swell down or cold packs, especially if it was a hard run XC... apart from that im lucky that my horses float very well and never had any serious injuries from floating *touch wood*

6. dayna

dayna Well-known Member

We don't use anything, only a rug if going to a show. We have an angle float and 9 times out of 10 Zophia has it all to herself. If we are carting another horse it makes no difference as their legs do not line up competing for the same space anyway in an angle load.
    Plus there is no reversing down ramps blindly, horses can walk down front first so they can see where they are going.

7. alex

alex Well-known Member

I have a terrible scrambler.
    I use the long shipping boots that go over the knee and hock and then bandage (as you would for riding) over the top to stop slipping, I also bell boot all fours =]
    Also bandage tail, and has a cotton set (rug,hood,tailbag) on for show trips.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
  8. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Tail bandage or nothing for me LOL. Diva sweats easily on the float so unless it is very cool she doesn't have rugs on even going to a show.

9. Tblover

Tblover New Member

Floats boots
    and a rug :D if its chilly

10. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Same here. But my boy floats well and has never had any issues. I might think again if i had a horse that is not settled in the float.

11. pso

pso Gold Member

short trips...nothing
    Any more than 10 mins, bandages with long padding and bellboots, rug according to weather

12. Bushmanwatts

Bushmanwatts Well-known Member

lead rope halter, hay net and straight on the float, don't use nothing.

13. raindear

raindear Well-known Member

What she said!!:))

14. Lokenzo

Lokenzo Gold Member

I float mine with paddock boots, they don't slip and it offers a little more protection than nothing. Mine float well but I have heard someone tell me that when they were in a roll over how much the boots saved their horses legs.

15. pso

pso Gold Member

I've had a horse go throught the bottom of a float. The vet said if the horse had only been wearing boots, or nothing, then it would probably have been a lost cause.

And dont go thinking that your float is new so it is safe...The float was only 3 months old;)

16. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member

OMG that would be my worst nightmare! :eek:

Well, my girl already been in a horrble accident once (Jumped the breastbar). I don't think she was wearing and boots at that time. (I was over seas so not sure how it all happened.) But in that case I don't think float boots would have done much difference. She was lucky though. Her floating has improved so much. But reading this thread I think I'll prob try to bandage if I go on longer trips, just in case. :eek:

17. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Do you find your horses get hot legs bandaged PSO? And what constitutes long enough trip to bother bandaging?

Problem with bandaging is that many ppl (PSO probably excepted!) just cant bandage safely and properly (but think they can)... results range from bandage bows to bandages falling off resulting in tangled horse.

I had a horse go down in the float 2 or 3 times on the way to an endurance ride (new float, rubber got slippery when she peed...) - no boots or bandages, no injuries. Sometimes you are just lucky! And others unlucky... I also had a mare who had been in a horrific fatal car accident, cars and float totalled, drunk driver in bad weather - head on collision - really bad! Both horses on float were unbooted/bandaged and neither of them were injured!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  18. pso

pso Gold Member

Anything longer than 10 mins heif...And thermatex bandages breathe really well;)

baby horse doesnt get bandaged yet...but the only time he has been on a float more than 10 minutes, he's been going to the vet anyhow :rollleyes:

19. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

So what do you use on baby horse?
    Im seriosuly considering bandages (with pads from UK that come over hocks/knees) because i am sick of the crappy design of float boots!

20. Jillaroo_7

Jillaroo_7 New Member

My horses not get anything put on them, maybe a cotten depending on the wether, and a halter and lead.