Who shows their sooty/smutty palomino's

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by shyloh, Sep 9, 2010.

1. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

the reason i ask is my girlfriend has a stunning gelding who is smutty and do's very well at shows with him both inhand and ridden
    mainly local and surrounding area's she is very proud of him
    who else is proud of their smutty pally's and how do the judges treat them
    cheers shyloh :)

2. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

I'm proud of all my palominos, smutty and unsmutty.**)

A really smutty palomino probably won't do very well in paly halter classes under trained colour judges unless they are by far and away the standout exhibit. I've put smutty ones up for that reason (and also had my smutty ones win for the same reason) but if there is another exhibit in the ring who is perhaps not quite as outstanding BUT who is the better ALL ROUND palomino exhibit that is the one who will generally get the judge's nod.

Under saddle it shouldn't matter.

3. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

I'm with Tintara ...i'm showing two babies ATM one is very nice golden colour the other is smutty ....i enjoying showing the both but don't expect to get anywhere with the smutty one in palomino classes but it is great training just the same and she has also won Supreme palomino and then went on to get into Top Five SOS that day too...it was a small class the other pally filly in her age was a better colour but he prefered miss smuttys comformation...i only took her out for training day and it was her first breed show but it made my day

4. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

thats great to hear **)
    I think all palli's are just devine:D
    have you ever posted photo's of them before would like to have a look
    cheers shyloh :):}

5. nklpark

Hi shylo @) i went to Dilutes Pre Royal on the 12.9.10 and put up a photo on SY show results...Pixie won DA Palomino Champion & Supreme and Open Palomino Champion & Supreme and a placed in Top five SOS, Izzy won Champion and Supreme QH and just to top off the day the buckskin filly we also bred last year won Supreme DA Buckskin and Supreme Ancillary ... it was really great day ... all fillies are the first foals by my Palomino QH stallion Imperial Gold Reign he was State Champion QH and DA Hi Point 2yr colt

DA put on a lovely show, it would have been great to see a few more people at the show but the girls have both been getting good results and Supremes in Palomino & QH classes at the last few shows and i couldn?t be prouder of them both....Pixie and Izzy live in lovely paddock full of clover, rye grass and cape weed not the best for a smutty palomino but they are happy and healthy

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

thankyou so much
    they are just beautiful and you certinaly do look very proud **)
    very suprised their aren't many other proud owners putting in their wonderful experiences ';'

7. nklpark

@) Hi Shyloh just a quickie update but miss smutty aka Imperial Isabella won Supreme Palomino and Supreme QH over her sister this weekend :D

8. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

OMG that's fantastic well done congrates :))

9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Must say that Miss Smutty and Miss Golden pony are 2 of the best behaved babies out there :) Your daughter does a great job with hers (and you with yours;) :)*

10. Sallie

Sallie Well-known Member

Isn't it 50% colour and 50% conformation for Pallys classes ?? Would be shocking to see a better colour win over a better conformed sound horse.

Thats why they have best mane , Tail & coat colour isn't it ???

11. nklpark

Hi Goodie thank you your daughter did a great job too...was that the first time she showed your spunky man?

12. CatabyWarmbloods

CatabyWarmbloods Active Member

Can I ask... why is there such a discrimination against smutty Palo's?? It's not a gene fault right? Just an active agutti gene or something?!? (yes I have no idea of genetics... why I'm sounding rather confused LOL).

I personally LOVE those smutty palo's and buckskins, and I would snap one up in a heart beat and go Western Pleasure'ing on my off Showjumping weekends LOL

13. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Because a clear golden coat (3 shades lighter or darker than a newly minted gold coin) with no smut (which is not an agouti gene..it is a smut gene ;) ) or dapples is the desired colour for showing. Doesn't mean the horse is genetically not Palomino, just not what is looked for in a show pallie. Just like an Arabian is still an Arabian if it has a big ugly head**)

14. CatabyWarmbloods

CatabyWarmbloods Active Member

Ahhh thanks for clearing that up for me... think I'd still nab a smutty colored horse though, I just love them LOL

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I recently bought a Mini Pony mare whom is Palomino & clearly has the smut gene.
    I was going to Reg her Pali but decided against it, i actually like the colour she's going & going to "enhance" that with supplements.

She's nice & gold on the face/neck (still carrying winter coat on her belly, over her rump etc) but her legs & around her bottom are the colour of nklpark's smutty mare (the dark areas) - plus she has some small brown dots over her rump (not palouse at all!!!! ;)).
    Will upload pics tomorrow, washed her today & got a couple then she went real smutty.... (rolled LOL :D).

16. shyloh

shyloh Well-known Member

**)can't wait to see the photo's

17. nklpark

LOL i've done the same thing with Miss Smutty if she's going to be smutty i might as well roll with it.... i quite like the contrast of her white mane n tail to her body.... so she is getting lucerne, black sunflower seeds and canola and boy is she dark now ...i won't be entering her in pally classes for awhile lol;)