Who feeds very simply?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Tam, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

All ours are all fairly simple.

3 yr old arab mare:
    1/2 dipper of mix (oat/chaff/lupin mix)
    1/2 dipper of lucurn chaff
    1 dipper of oaten chaff

2 yr old arab filly:
    1/2 cup of whole (soaked) lupins
    1/2 dipper mix
    1/2 dipper lucurn
    1 dipper oaten

5 month colt (weaned)
    1/2 cup of whole (soaked) lupins
    1/2 dipper mix
    1/2 dipper lucurn
    1/4 dipper of oaten chaff

All also get eqimin and 1 biccie of meadow hay each a day. They are of pasture 24/7. All are fat and healthy!

2. horsescomefirst

horsescomefirst Well-known Member

so the 3yr old has no pellets/ feed at all?? just a bit of chaff??
    and is 1/2 lupins a day enough for a horse??
    wow!! i wish i could get away with feeding only that amount!!

3. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

My 10 yr old Waler is on grass 24/7 and has half a bucket of chaff with 1 scoop of farriers formula and 1 dipper of mitavite economix for breakkie and 1 bisc of oaten hay for dinner.He seems to keep his condition nicely.

4. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

I think the 'mix' has oats & lupins in it - plenty of protein in that, and the 1/2 cup lupins is before soaking - so more protein...probably expands to more like 2 cups after soaking.
    That sounds like plenty to me!

Shouldn't the condition of the horse dictate what it gets fed, rather than what it sounds like on paper????

5. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

As well as what Erilyn said, they get it twice a day. So double those amounts. Probably should have said that to.... :D

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Some horses don't need much at all & AAH has stated they are on pasture 24/7. If the mare isn't in work or carries weight well, as long as a Vit/Min supplement is on offer, then fantastic.
    Great to have horses that don't need to be fed & fed & fed to look good! ;)

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I think I do.

I feed approx 95 - 98 % Roughage, with a supplimentry feed of approx 500ml - 1 litre of oathusks with provided extra's depending on the horse and the time of the year. I do an average bulk mix - I mix 1 44 gallon drum at a time ,and feed the appropriate amount per horse per day. It ranges, as I said, from 1 cup/500ml - to 2 cups/ 1 litre.

So - Hay.......whatever they need.

Pasture (what is left for this season anyway...)

Oathusks - Bulk
    Canola Meal - Protein Lysine
    Sunflower seeds - Lots of goodies..lol
    Canola Oil to stick everything together - energy (none really need it...though)

BUT...the complex bit is the vit and min mix - I mix this up once a year or so...when I run out anyway...

They get ;

Bentonite
    Dolomite
    Copper Sulphate
    Sulphur
    Kelp
    Magnesium Oxide

Ty gets ;

Thiamine and Extra Magnesium on top of this.

And all year round Selenium - Vit E.

The rest get extra in ;

Summer Autumn -

Selenium
    Vit E

Spring -

Thiamine Magnesium
    Biotin

My Grey mare is the exeption. She gets Triple the amount of Canola Meal, Canola Oil, And sunflowers seeds as the others plus a litre of Grower and weaner pellets a day. I nearly freaked out when i had to buy a bag of processed, pre mixed feed...OMG.... *#)

It just works for her **) Tb's eh...lol :eek: :p *#)

I have more problems with to higher a condition scale...that too low on the scale.... I will be buying in some barley straw tomorrow I hope, so I can provide more roughage without a couple of them popping!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  8. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I think my feeds are simple? LOL.

13.3hh 15yo mare, reasonable good doer.
    Hay in morning which lasts thru till lunchish.
    Dinner is Lucerne Chaff, Oats, FFS, Advantage (was Lactating Mare Supplement but foal just weaned). Hay.

13.2hh 6yo mare, good doer with 1.5 mth foal at foot.
    Hay in morning.
    Lucerne Chaff, Oats, FFS, Lactating Mare Supplement & Hay.

Welsh A 1yo colt, came in slender condition 2 mths again but looking great now with a fantastic coat! VERY fussy & won't eat pellets, lol.
    Hay in the morning.
    Dinner is Lucerne Chaff, Oats, FFS & Advantage plus hay.

33" 16yo Mini stallion, good doer but runs fences so trims up well.
    Morn/night feed of Lucerne Chaff, Studmaster & Advantage (i give him Canola Oil at night) plus hay.

14.3hh VERY good doer 10yo mare, just weaned foal thankfully as she needs to lose weight.
    6 wks in on a strict 12 wk yard rest due to chipped elbow.
    When foal was at foot, foal was fed separate so dam didn't get all the goodies! This girl is now just on hay with a Mineral Block.

30" 14yo Mini mare with 5 mth foal at foot & 35" Small Horse mare, heavily pregnant.
    Hard feed morn & night of Lucerne Chaff, Studmaster plus hay.
    Preg mare was getting Pregnant Mare Supplement but ca'nt get it no more so she gets Advantage, the mare with foal at foot gets Lactating Mare Supplement.

3 weanlings, (two are 18 wks old & 1 was weaned very early due to injury at 8 wks, is now 11 wks old).
    These all get adlib hay as in where there is NO paddock feed, morn/night feed of Lucerne Chaff, Grotorque (was going to feed Breeda to the youngest, she won't touch it & the other 2 weeded out Studmaster when i was letting them have their own feeds towards the end for weaning whilst still on mum) so am feeding Grotorque & all 3 are eating it up well. Also feeding Advantage as not feeding the recommended amount of GT.

*use to use Equimin but since changed to Advantage, only used 1 bucket so far so look forward to seeing some changes.
    Everyone also has Salt Blocks (not with molasses) which they use.
    The rest all get hay & have Mineral Blocks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2011
  9. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I guess really what one person feeds their horse/s, may not suit someone else etc.

There is no right way, i guess you have to really look at your horses & if they are looking great, healthy coats, spark in their eye, well covered, active etc etc then stick to what you are doing.
    The way & what i feed suits my horses, may not suit a new horse i get or anyone else's horse/s. :)

10. Mater

Mater Well-known Member

For my two ponies, they get half a biscuit of hay each per day.
    How's that for simple?!

11. lulubelle

lulubelle New Member

I think I do. My horse is fed twice a day as we have no pasture.

Oaten hay, as much as she wants.
    Wheaten chaff, speedibeet and Studmaster is her hard feed.

Mag E supplement.

She is a bit of a 'faded' brown though and I find I am wanting to add more to her feed to improve her colour but I don't know what. I did look into Bio Bloom for the coat and hooves but it is quite expensive.....there is just too much to choose from!

12. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Well said!

13. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

My ponies are fed simply :)
    Fats ponies in jenny craig get -
    1 bale of hay between a mini,gally, and aus pony.
    3 scoops of shandy OR 2 oaten 1 lucerne
    plus handful of cut up carrots.
    2x a day
    Big boys.

2 shandy OR 1 oaten 1 lucerne
    1/2- 1 scoops of nutri/cop rice versatile - Depends on feed/work load/condition and amount of grazing.
    carrots
    24/7 grazing plus cow's hay when dad feeds out from now going into winter.
    extra's like oil,livamol,foot supps are given but depending on the horse and what they need :)
    2x a day
    I have 4 horses on the above so its not exact to each horse as that would take me ages.

Question for anyone - have you tried the Khonke's Trim? Im just wondering if its effective enough I could put the ponies on that and put them out over summer? There is limited grazing out there but I would still worry about them putting weight on..

14. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

I think we also need to remember that every horse is different, and as a generalisation, every breed is different too. My arabs need no where near as much as any thoroughbred that has been here, and I've had two warmbloods here that have needed even more again.
    We also have a ASH that lives here sometimes - when she first came, I nearly died at the amount she was getting - not because I thought she was being overfed, but because, by comparison to the arabs, it seemed so much. After a few months of being here, her quantity reduced quite a bit - she always needed more than mine, but not as much as she did when she first came...maybe because of the pasture, maybe because of the environment - who knows!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  15. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

this is Chip on meadow hay and a bickie morn n night lucern. when he gets worked he gets bout 600gm higain zero... nice and basic
    [​IMG]