Who feeds very simply?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Tam, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

we ARE talking about the horse now aren't we Blitzen *#);)

both of mine right now are on the simplest of diets - pasture only. I think they're doing ok - infact I'm wondering when they're due *#) what do you reckon?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yellow pony is the epitomy of a good doer - the big grey one is average I guess - when in work she maintains a fit look but has been out of work for around 3 months from this pic - hence the total lack of muscle

Having said that, while in work both get a tad more than just pasture ;) but still very very simple.

2. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Have to agree here. Just goes to show you that the K.I.S.S system works and saves you money. One thing to remember is that horses are designed for their digestive system to be 75% full for it to work correctly. The safest way to do that is to feed roughage (hay, pasture etc) and hard feed if need be. If horses are feed right and wormed then they should look fab. Th old saying goes beauty starts on the inside could not be truer.

Blitz - are you talking about Jayden or the Horse (stallion)???? LOL

Carol hope your grand-daughter is ok ;) If not maybe this will help her

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry to hi-jack the thread LOL. The above horses are both stallions and are feed the basic of basic diets. Think they look ok don't you??

Some people think oats are heating so feed pre-mixed feeds. What they don't realise is that they are usually higher in Digestive energy than oats (oats are 12 whilst most feeds are 14+). Most times it is not the feed but the amount feed verse exercise. Same as humans, no need to eat less to lose fat, the idea is to move more :p

3. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

the only additive we feed is Livamol to enhance coat colour and salt in the summer to enhance water uptake. Only feed a small handful a day. Will also put out salt/mineral blocks throughout the year so the horse can use if they need it and not force them to eat it by placing in feed.

4. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i did actually mean the horse, but now i have to go back & look more closely at the rider!

5. CDA

CDA Well-known Member

I dont feed any supplements except TOPON DX FORTE leading up to a show.

my stallion gets lucerne chaff, oaten chaff, bran and Hygain Honey B. a biscut of hay a day which he likes to play with rather than eat....

6. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

My little stb mare is extremely simple. She gets 1kg of grower and weaner, 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds, 60 grams butchers salt and a bucket of chaff once a day plus hay. And she looks a million dollars. This is what I show her on.

My new tb who is lacking a lot of weight and muscle is one 1.5kg of grower and weaner, 500grams ricebran, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, salts and vitamins and a bucket of chaff. That is his night feed and in the mornings he gets the same minus supplements and additives. Plus hay

My mare

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. nag

nag Well-known Member

well andy diet is really plain lol, he gets 3 scoops wheaten chaff, 800grams speedibeet (soaked) salt, slippery elm, whey powder, 5kg hay a day the rest is pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I wouldn't count half the mentioned feeds as simple..;)

My pony when in full show prep was on oaten chaff, and vitamins....hay on the days he didnt go out and pasture on other days:)*...and a literal handful of pellets ...just to give him somthing interesting in his dinner ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  9. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

We feed 150 horses at work.....all they get is grower and weaner pellets plus oaten hay twice a day;)

10. Jazzy

Jazzy New Member

My girl gets ad lib oaten hay and is on pasture all the time, plus she gets a scoop of chaff and lucerne at night, with her vit/min mix added in.

If all of these feeds people are listing are 'simple', what is a complex horse diet? ';'

11. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

I think ours are fed fairly simply. 2 tbs and 2 appies.

All just get hay in the morning

Evening:

All get a lightish haynet of oaten hay

One(10ish) tb gets 4 scoops chaff, recommended serving of economix, biotin and copra

One (24) tb gets 4 scoops chaff, recommended serving of economix and biotin. See Bobby below (I think he looks pretty good for 24, actually the photo doesnt really do him justice) :

[​IMG]

2 appies, one 17 and the other 5, get 4 scoops chaff, biotin and recommended dose of JK Cell Provide.

Here is Reilly, the 5yo. Not the best of photos, had been standing under the sprinkler and rolled :D.

[​IMG]

12. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

If some of these feeds are simple not sure what to call mine!

Broodmares and horses out of work have access to as much wheaten hay as they'd like, as well as whatever pasture may be in the paddock (depending on the time of year) and a lick block.

Horses in work get mixed feeds, but any others are fed very simply and it keeps them looking nice.

13. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Tally is on a super simple diet.
    Speedibeat, bran, Konkhe's Cell Vital and Calcium Plus, on the days he is ridden.
    3-4 kilos of hay a day shared with Sass.
    24/7 on green grazing.

and this is how he looks
    [​IMG]

And this is what Sass looks like on the same diet as Tally (just smaller amount)
    [​IMG]

14. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

im loving what ppl seem to think is "simple"!

mine graze 24/7, and sometimes (once a week, maybe more when feed runs short) they get a feed of chaff, soaked steamed rolled barley, along with some pumpkin and maybe a splash of oil. if th feed is really short, ill throw a roll of hay at them.
    edit - hard feeds are almost a soup, NO pellets of any kind due to my horse having choked a couple of times.

15. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

mine is very simple,and cheap...grazing on 23 acres of ample grass 24/7...2kgs of HYGAIN GROTORQUE twice a week...and if he was fully matured..he would get no hard feed at all...**)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  16. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

i would have to agree...**) "is it hot in here?"

17. Teah

Teah New Member

My horse gets chaff and speedi beat with a vit/min sup and toxy defy :) Nothing else! And he looks great :). Also oaten hay.

18. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

gosh feather feet your place looks really nice - sorry off topic.

19. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Since everyone is showing off with photos ... :D

When in work, Jed is on: chaff, lucerne chaff, pony cubes, cell vital premium, dolomite and electrolytes. Plus LOTS of hay .. lots and lots!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic of Hon was when she came home, just on hay .. But she gets a tiny bit of chaff, a (literal) handful of pony cubes, CVP, electros, and Trim. Even though her hardfeed is on a diet, she still gets ample hay (but put into lots and lots of small piles so she is required to walk around and 'graze').

[​IMG]

20. norwest star

norwest star New Member

mine are on hay twice a day they are fat and happy thats all they need