Who feeds very simply?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Tam, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Weeellll... at the moment...hay, chaff, l.chaff and micrspeed. Seems to be doing well at the moment.

Then cell provide, a mag/cal supp, rosehip, chamomile, salt, tox defy and oil.

He was also on Yea Sacc, but it's finished, and i'm leaving it out for now. Will also leave out the tox defy and mag/cal supp once they finish, and probably also ditch the micrspeed and make up my own 'muslie'. Although i wouldn't mind trying pro sport and studmaster.
    So yeah, with whatever possible issues he might have, i've been trying a lot of crap. Probably to his detriment.

2. Bruce the Goose

Bruce the Goose Well-known Member

I have tried to simplify mine from what they were on during the year really just due to cost.

They were getting chaff, lucerne chaff, oats, flaked barley, cell provide and energy gold (oil), plus wheaten hay, both looked amazing.

I am now using feed xl program and after many different scenarios have decided on
    1kg chaff, 1kg lucerne chaff, 1kg pegasus equibalance, kelp, garlic and cell provide and hay. From what feed xl says just have to up the pellets once in heavier work. Will have to wait a few months until stabled again to see if as good as other feed as unfortunately my boys came out from lights a bit too early and grew coats.

Cheers Tracey

3. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

My horses are on simplest of diets - it works for them, they both shine when on their feed so I know it works :)

4. Diana

Diana Gold Member

My horses are just out in the paddock......no supplements......they're shiny, healthy & happy :)
    If anything, they're a bit fat :p Dave is in moderate work too so it's not like they're both doing nothing..

5. Shandeh

Shandeh Well-known Member

Ad lib hay and that's about it. If I stick him in the stable he gets more hay than he can eat, plus a hard feed of 1.5 scoops of oaten chaff, but he spends most of his time in the paddock. He looks a million bucks except that his coat isn't as shiny as I'd like it, but I can't afford coat suppliments.

When he's hard fed (through summer when the feed is low and in winter) he gets oaten or lucerne chaff depending on what we have, KO cell provide, dolomite (for magnesium, he can be a bit of a stress head) and sometimes a bit of molasses as a treat.

He is a good doer though, typical easy-to-keep STB.

6. BugEye

BugEye Active Member

Lucerne chaff, oats, lucerne hay. and they look like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

.... *wow* davrac. that's a bit of special!

8. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

i feed 2 scoops lucerne 1 scoop bran 1 scoop sweetbulk and about 4 or 5 scoops oaten chaff plus 1 bisc oh morning and night all of mine maintain a good weight and have lovly shiny coats and a measure of rebus plus carrots and apples from all the neighborhood kids and grannys oh and the stallion gets 2 slices of toast every morning from the granny across the road

9. monomeeth

monomeeth Well-known Member

Hey Shandeh, if you want to shine up your boy's coat easily, a dash of sunflower oil in his feed will do the job without being too expensive or too heating. I buy mine from the supermarket so it is nice and fresh and hasn't been kept in the heat too long.

Another simple feeder here. Hay, chaff and lucerne chaff, sunflower oil, a little salt, the odd handful of chamomile or rosehip. This is what she looks like;

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Mono

10. banjo

banjo Well-known Member

this is tom 27yrs old and he gets. one cup of soaked lupins, one cup of copra and 1L of both chaffs plus Pat coleby minerals only once a day and 2 biccies of hay plus paddock pick
    [​IMG]

this is MJ 8yr he gets the same only abit more hay
    [​IMG]

this is banjo he sniffs the bucket and gets locked up at night with 1 biccie of hay and stays in yard day in then day out...
    [​IMG]

11. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Oaten hay in winter, ad lb for those that need it, daytime only for the 3 fatty bumbas, At the moment they are running on a barley stubble and picking out all the dried off ryegrass.
    That plus lupins, oats for those that need it (only one ATM) lucerne chaff and oaten chaff. The fatties get just enough chaff to get their minerals and vitamins.
    The only place I get complicated is in supplements - I do my own as I don't want to pay for extra B12 etc when we don't need it. We are marginal for Selenium and have long dry summers so they all get a vitamin E/Se supplement plus kelp, dolomite and apple cider vinegar.
    That diet got Prycie round 80km:
    [​IMG]
    and the others look like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. CatabyWarmbloods

CatabyWarmbloods Active Member

Oats, Soaked Lupins, Chaff, Oaten Hay, Salt & Vitamns:

[​IMG]

13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I thought I did.....but after reading this thread, I guess not ';' Ah well :)

14. callmesue

callmesue New Member

Lucerne chaff, oaten chaff,carrots(Garlic in summer) and Equelibrium and meadow hay and mine are as fat as barrels and the gelding does endurance and is junping out of his skin and his mum is always bordering on founder.*#)

15. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Lupins + Speedibeet + Equimin + Hay (oaten 6kg)..

I was considering dropping the speedibeet as I really don't think they need it.. but than Bess doesn't always eat her Lupins :/ I also occasionally add 1 scoop of chaff to make it look bigger haha

Reddy, 11 year old TB
    [​IMG]

Bess, 22 year old mixa
    [​IMG]

I use to have them on SO much stuff.. but I find they do just as well on plain things (granted I've only been feeding the lupins a few weeks, but before this it was just replaced with a pellet) and it's so cheap.. $24 a week including hay..

16. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

I have looked at all the horses posted here on their simple feeds and even tho they are all varied diets all the horses look tremendously fit,fat,and very healthy so they all seem to be doing very well on what they are being fed.
    Each horse is different and sometimes it takes trial and error to get the feed right for the individual horse but every horse here seems to be on the right track.
    Well done to all owners on this thread, the horses are a credit to you.

17. Again n Again

Again n Again Active Member

Haha well my 11 year old boy gets fed oaten chaff and some mineral/vitamin pellet thingys (i cant remember the name atm) and he's just paddocked 24/7:)*
    This is him a couple of weeks ago, with his paddock being similar grazing to the one behind him.
    [​IMG]

18. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

But what determins a "simple" feed??

Some of these feeds are not what I would term 'simple"..

Mine get, oaten and lucurne chaff, barley, lupins and vit/min. Plus round bales of meadow hay 24/7.

19. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

Davrac....i would just like to piont out that the guy riding in the first picture is very good looking. :p

20. carol51

carol51 Well-known Member

i would have to agree so will my grandoughter when she puts her tongue back in her head