Who feeds parafin oil in feeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Golden Biscuit, Oct 8, 2008.

1. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

A vet very recently gave me the 'recipe' for feeding pysillium husk and for memory (don't have the printout with me) it goes something like this.....
    For an adult horse (approx 500-600kg);
    1 cup on day one and increasing by as much as 1 cup a day for a total of 5 days. (i.e by day 5 they have a full 5 cups in their feed).
    Not sure how the weight of each cup would compare with John Kohnke's suggestion, but the vet certainly advised that it be fed over a longer period of time.

2. TANISHKYA

TANISHKYA New Member

i personally think that horses are like children no two are the same, and what works for one may not work for the other.
    both my two s/b have the same diet , are in the same paddock etc and have both been on the husk and yet one came down with colic and a belly full of sand, the other fine !, ive tried everthing even the honey and milk method but since my vet suggested parafin oil twice a week touch wood all is fine..... he also said to have an endless supply of oaten hay as that pushes sand out far better than meadow.
    i also have minis walking around the land eating just about everything house scraps you name it they eat it and yet i have never had a problem at all with colic or sand which is amazing so it just goes to prove what i first said no two are the same......

3. Ritadee

Ritadee New Member

Ritadee

:)* **) Hi, I do. My horse got a touch of colic about 3 - 4 months after I bought him and a friend suggested 1 cup of parafin oil in his feed once a week. It seems to work as he hasn't had colic since and I've now had him going on 3 years. He is a standardbred and I don't know if he was prone to colic or not as the previous owner didn't say and I didn't ask. I didn't know to- he is the first horse I have ever had.

4. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

Wow I didn't know that....I knew a girl who used to get her horse to drink a dose of Metamucil once a week cos the pony was prone to colic.

I thought Metamucil was pretty much psyllium husks. But then again if this is a problem I think I will steer clear of it.

Tried usin psyllium husks last year and it didn't work, I had two horses that ended up going down with colic and a nice fat vet bill. This year I have kept the salt up in their feed (my vet said the heat could be a big contributor to colic) I feed 60mL of John Kohnke Energy Gold to my colic prone mare, and I feed a 3 monthly dose of cooked pumpkin. And ad lib hay. Has worked so far but we have just copped our first lot of storms and rain so I guess its a case of wait and see when the grass starts to grow!