Who feeds parafin oil in feeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Golden Biscuit, Oct 8, 2008.

1. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

I'll just say experiences that i would rather not disclose especially on a public forum, i do agree he is a good equine nutritionalist but i do not rate him as the best nor the be all and end all.

2. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

Fair enough, I've sent you a pm instead.

I'm always keen to hear the reasons why such a highly knowledgable & respected professional isn't rated. Perhaps I'm missing something, and would like to know what. Cheers.

3. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Definitely, but at the end of the day you have to chose who to put your trust into and if BEB's vet has advised them on parafin oil, I know I would follow his educated opinion, which may be just as worthy as John Kohnke but there's no real compromise between the vet's opinion ( feeding parafin oil) and John Kohnke's opinion ( not feeding it).

4. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

True, but it's also worth nothing that opinions vary greatly from one vet to another. At the end of the day a lot of horseowners opinions are based on anecdotal evidence only, and we must make informed decisions as much as possible... rather than from other people's baseless, blanket statements about a professional's expertise.

I'm off to read those links/articles which were posted about paraffin oil **)

5. purplepony

purplepony Active Member

this is getting quite heated isn't it?

Let me just ask, would you eat paraffin oil on YOUR cereal in the morning?

It's not a food stuff, its not for nutrition, should we be feeding it regularly to our horses?

6. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

depend how regulary

I wouldnt feed it more than the every 6months that i do how unless i was directed to do so. and when you do feed it always add in lots of yummies. i have actually tasted it and it is quite tasteless maybe a lil bitter so i always put heaps of molasses etc im with it andmake it twice the size of a normal h/f and feed no hay.

7. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

We arent discussing about feeding it regularly we are saying every 6 months and not for nutrition but to assist with sand colic.

Also its just the same as feeding molasses everyday too much too often of lots of things can be detrimental.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  8. Golden Biscuit

Golden Biscuit Well-known Member

ive been told it also assists in inmaction colic aswell:) once again thanks for not getting to heated, i understand people have different opinions, thats what im hoping this thread wil gain **)

okay another question- does anyone have any other suggestons in prevention as he is prone like clockwork-
    i have tried psyllium #( salts, minerals, they always have adlib hay? Any other ideas?? would love to hear them:)*

9. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

My only 'idea' is to move away from the sand! It makes sense to me anyway.

10. Golden Biscuit

Like i said earlier- its not that easy just to move, i cant travel an hr a day with work etc, and its pretty hard to find agistment without sand around here especially at the price i pay, keeping in mind i already live 20 mins south of mand, not close like you...

11. Janet

Janet Guest

Not always an option, My horses are on green grass with hay at lib but we do still have wanneroo sand in their yards and out the very back. I just feed as much hay as they will eat and oil every 3 -4 months. I worm every 6 weeks, year round and rotate my wormer. I have the vet check them every 6 months. Not much more you can do! I do check the poo in a bucket of water before i treat with oil and after.(to compare) :D

12. mod 6

mod 6 Moderator

Mods are watching guys...

13. Golden Biscuit

haha that just made my tummy turn over... i was just reading cav's 'where are the mods' thread! :p

14. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

BEB with the pysillium husks, did you feed a course of about a 1 cup/day for 5 days? (or all the time), and fed dry?

Adlib hay fed from above the ground, with a rubber matt underneath. A psyllium course every 3 weeks or so. Some people like to routinely drench on an annual basis, other's not. Any history of worm infestation? Some colics are associated with intestinal worm damage.

Some people have had success with the O'Leary's recipe, some with mashed pumpkin... ect...

15. Golden Biscuit

Yep thats how we did the psyllium, was my vets first reccomendation but no luck over 1.5yrs so decided to swap and see if this helps. Not sure about the worm history but he gets wormed reguarly, thats a good thought tho- how do you check for worms?

16. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

Gosh, sounds dreadful to be plagued with colic all the time :(

For testing worms: you can post away a manure sample to wormwatch for a faecal egg count analysis. I think they offer an additional service to determine specific worm types? Not sure.

17. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

psyllium husks are meant to be fed with something sticky arent they? like molasses or honey?

18. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

No they're to be mixed in with normal hard feed, dry. They swell in the stomach (with moisture) to form a gelatinous consistency, and are supposed to pick up intestinal sediments along the way (ie sand).

19. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

According to John Kohnke the best way to feed psyillium is to give them 70g per 50kg of body weight, two days in a row.

20. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

BEB, if giving the pony paraffin oil every six months or so stops him colicking then it is obviously working for him regardless of what others may or may not do / recommend and really, bottom line, isn’t that the most important consideration especially if it doesn't affect his health and well being in any way.

Other things to consider though - a serious worm infestation especially early in life could easily have left him with permanent internal scarring and lesions that cause minor blockages or get painful when sand scrapes over them. I lost a yearling about 8 years ago from an intestinal displacement colic caused by worm damage – the worms had created huge nesting cysts in his intestines which caused a partial blockage and subsequent displacement. Severe worm damage, particularly red worm damage done early in life, often leaves them with life long digestive issues like ongoing colics. Some horses can cope with it OK, others can’t.

He may have had stomach ulcers at some point too which has left him with scar tissue – fat pony gets too fat so he gets put on a starvation diet which leaves his stomach at the mercy of his stomach acids. Fat pony then loses weight because he doesn’t feel like eating so owner assumes that ‘diet’ is working and keeps it up whenever fat pony starts to eat properly again and put on weight. Ah, the joys of owning ponies :D