Who feeds parafin oil in feeds?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Golden Biscuit, Oct 8, 2008.

1. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I have them, will try and organise something over the weekend with a scanner...
    not sure I should use the one where we measured the length of the intestines wayyy down the road! Well it seemed like a good idea at the time..

2. Emalin

Emalin New Member

unless you use large quantities of paraffin it would probably do nothing to remove sand it would just go over the top and you can only use mineral oils for sand removal - not olive or canola i have seen post mortem photos of horses that were drenched with vege oil by someone other than a vet , it rotted their guts

3. Jadelise

Jadelise Well-known Member

Whats wrong with drenching? My horse used to go flipo to have his teeth done and clipped but would stand to get drenched :confused:
    Cant be that bad haha, although it doesnt look pretty.
    Never even heard of getting them to drink it, we were drenching ours done every 3-4 months when in wanneroo. So yep no opinion sorry never even heard of it...

4. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Hmm, I thought the best treatment/preventative for sand colic was hay.
    Lot and lots of hay.

I've kept horses in Jandakot in horrible sand paddocks for years and never once where they drenched and never once did they have colic.
    Nor were they fed parrafin oil in their feeds.
    Was I just lucky ?......I doubt it.
    To make the claim that an old horse has been fed parrafin oil in it's feeds for years and has never had colic because of this treatment is a big call.
    Many, many horses will go through their entire lives without being affected by colic.

5. Jadelise

Jadelise Well-known Member

The horses that were mainly getting colic were on hay rolls in the big paddock (which also had lots of sand). :confused:

6. Golden Biscuit

Golden Biscuit Well-known Member

Some horses are prone to colic- others arent! Like i said my baby is, Biks not too bad he only had it once- and again, they are given more hay daily than they eat!

7. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Ive not heard about the drenching with veggie oil before - but i can imagine that a large amount of it sitting in a gut with a bowel obstruction or similar could be a problem.
    I actually was reccomended by a vet that a dolop of oil in feed everyday throughtout summer is a great idea for generally keeping the sand problems down
    I have done this over summer - and not to say that I have had any problems with sand colic before, ever, or colic at all really, but I couldnt see it as a real problem to do - so I gave it a try.
    Havent had any problems still. In summer our paddocks are pretty much dust bowls - and then in winter you nearly cant walk throught them for the feed.

There can be problems with feeding oil in any amount - taking into account breed, age, dietry needs.

Due to the lack of feed, and low levels of digestable energy availiable out of the paddock - I figured it wouldnt be a problem. So shiny horses - and no sand colic. (It wasnt a very good double bling experiment thought! LOL! )

Like any horse desicion - you really have to look into it before you make a desicion, for you and your own horse.

Oh - one more thing - I know some people recomment metamucil. REALLY BAD IDEA...apparently. Metamucil actually binds sand together into rocks in the gut - I have a firend who is a vet nurse who has pulled fist sized rocks out of bowels in autopsies quite a few times as It was reccomended in a particular area.
    It's designed for humans remember - and most of those dont have sand colic problems!
    (However - that does not apply to evrything......beer......humans....very good for stress colic....sometimes : ) )

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  8. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Lets add that the older horse in question lived on sand with occasional rotation out onto grass like all the other horses on the property. He could NOT be fed excess hay due to potential risk of becoming obese and foundering due.

As its been said some stuff works for some people, other things work for other people. The people in question have 2 ponies which like most ponies i bet would be typical to become overweight/founder if on excess amount of hay or a hay roll they have been recommended THIS treatment due to lack of success with others, i find it funny how numerous of us have had success due to this treatment and others just slam it down, they asked peoples success rate and amount to be fed NOT opinions on whether right or wrong or for other treatment options.

9. Golden Biscuit

My ponies are fat as and they get 1 scppo of chaff with their vits/mins in and 1-2 biscuits hay a day, whats gunna happen with hay rolls lol,

10. supersezabell

Dont worry another pony owner here and i definately know where you're coming from!

11. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

colic

Id you read my post i stated that is works for some not for others. Eveytime i use the parrifin i acyuall go out an get poo samples and put them in water till it all brakes down and Presto there is more sand on the poo after i have oilded that the sample i did b4 i oiled.

THe pony lived in a sand yard eating hay off the floor b4 i got him and was out on pasture every so often.

My mare like i said never had sand colic only form winter grass but agisters horses who were there would get sand colic but never mine.

coincidence maybe. But i was mainly stressing that he has has it for so long with no negative effects. he also has never been drenched in all his life.

"I agisted where Sez a bell agisted years b4 she cam there ans my pony was owned by the agistment owner. he to this date is 24 yrs old and has never coliced my mare also gets it. she loves it he is a bit more hesitant. but she has coliced but from eathing too mych green grass but never from sand. which parrifin help to clean out so it could work for some instances but not for others. An as Sarah Said it is oderless"

12. Cherim

Cherim New Member

Just read through the thread and would like to add that

we have always fed parrafin oil as a sand preventative. I have also cured mild colic by syringing parrafin into their mouths (desparation when you live 2.5 hours from a vet) I usually aim to get about a litre down at a time (very messy process).

If the horse is colicy and still eating then I just add (about 1ltr) it to their feed till they stop pooing sand (you can see it) every feed for upto a week. I have horses and ponies here that have had that treatment and at the age of 25 are showing no ill effects.

Otherwise I try to add about a litre to their feeds every once in awhile.

Another interesting point is that horses will suffer from sand colic if they have a high count of small red strongles (worms) these are the ones that you sometimes see in the water trough.

Berg oil although not recomended now days helps excite to gut to get it moving and helps with gas colic. But can make problem worse if there is an actual obstruction.

As with feeding a petroleum based product, have a look at the ingredients on your next can of coke etc and tell me what is wrong with a product that is 100% what is on the label.

13. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Back in your box Supersezabell.
    Where in my post did I 'slam down' feeding parrafin oil ?
    The original poster asked for who feeds it .... and I said I don't.
    I simply stated that I thought the best treatment for colic was hay.
    Nowhere in the OP's earlier posts did she state that her pony is prone to being obese and foundering so I didn't see anything wrong with offering this option.
    It is simply an opinion, not an attack.

14. madison

madison Well-known Member

Off the track a bit but can someone please explain the Red Worms in the water trough? Call me STUPID but I've never heard of it before.:confused:

15. Golden Biscuit

Neither have i?? lol
    I realy hope this doesnt get out of hand and thankyou to everyone who has posted and offered advice, i love hearing what other people do :D everyones open to their own opinion, and im not going to say one persons wrong and ones right, different things work for different horses/ people, so thanks to everyone :D

16. Mocha

Mocha Well-known Member

Well I just asked John Kohnke himself, he said parafin oil is useless for drenching :p

17. supersezabell

You too i think, i didnt say YOU slammed it down did i? i meant in general, no she didnt say her pony is prone to being obese and foundering but really duh its a PONY what PONY isnt easy to gain weight? Ive never met any bar ancient ones who dont gain 5 kgs by looking at a bucket of feed.

As i SAID they asked for help on THIS treatment so maybe people (everyone incase you take this is as directed at you again) should READ what they had in their original post.

18. supersezabell

*cough, cough* ok so when vets come out to drench our horses with parafin oil it does nothing? and in my experiences he isnt exactly the greatest nutrition expert out there and i know PLENTY of people who would agree.

19. Taylorc

Taylorc Guest

Interesting, guys. I would never have thought to use Parrafin oil in feed as a preventative to colic... and probably won't until the hay & monthly psyllium treatment fail to work. But that's interesting though. So are we talking preventative of only sand related colic here or only as & when other colic occurs (ie impaction, gaseous) ??

Supersezabell - slightly off topic, but what's your opinion of John Khonke based on exactly? And I'd be interested in knowing who - in your opinion - is a better equine nutritionalist?

20. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

**) John Kohnke certainly knows his stuff. You can never learn enough.