White spots through coat?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Araphra, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Araphra

Araphra Well-known Member

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has seen this before and can tell me what it is? My horse develops white spots along his back and rump as his winter coat comes through, they go away again during summer months. There's nothing on the skin at all that I can see, it's just the hair growing through white. I've owned him six years and the first few years I had him I remember one or two spots coming up but as he's getting older (he's thirteen now) they seem to be multiplying each winter *#).

[​IMG]

Anyone know what might cause it? There's no issue with it at all I'm just really curious as to why my Standardbred turns wannabe-Appaloosa over winter :D.

2. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

thats cute, lol sorry i have no idea!!

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

they are called birdcatcher spots:)* They can appear on "older" horses. As fas as I know their is little research into why they appear on some horses:)

4. Araphra

Araphra Well-known Member

Thanks goodie :D. Just did a bit of reading, you're right there isn't much research into why they appear apart from speculations about being genetically linked and relating to the racehorse Birdcatcher... that's just sparked my curiosity even more! :p

5. Zegger

Zegger Well-known Member

The presence of white hairs can indicate pressure points because the excess pressure has damaged the hair follicles so that the hair comes in white.

6. Tintara

Tintara Well-known Member

Someone told me years ago that they can also be a sign of a particular mineral deficiency but I can't remember which mineral.