White hair on Withers?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Jessica0368, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PPH

PPH Guest

Rofl CWAC
    Definatley something wrong with the saddle or maybe it was from been born, it was a tight squeeze ROFLMAO

2. PPH

PPH Guest

Yup KC, we only have bore water, untreated and when pumped straight out of the pump instead of from the tank(for higher water pressure), is bloody freezing, even on a 40 degree day.

3. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

True, apologies Megs, you did to. But I am confused why you bother to query me in the first place if you realize water does in fact heat up warmer than body temperature!

Actually YOU determine how YOU want to interpret my posts, not me. If I show that you are WRONG maybe you have to deal with it instead of coming up with a sore loser excuse that I may be wrong but RR was nasty!!

I am sorry B&T but sometimes things are IMPOSSIBLE. Go and look up the definition of dismissive, giving explanations is NOT being dismissive. Saying "whatever" or even saying "you are being dismissive" IS DISMISSIVE.

Good for you B&T! :))

Funny, I learn and that is why I can make decision about whether things are plausible or not. Again, go and look up dismiss.....looking into something and coming up with reasons why something is incorrect is not dismissive....in fact YOU deciding that you keep note of Janets theory is DISMISSIVE of all the information that has been put forward on this thread....even by one of Australia's best equine vets!!

It aint what I say B&T, it is what is the truth, I didnt decide on it, the world, nature and life itself did....I am just respecting it!

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  4. retroremedy

Maybe you should consider what Megz86 has explained, you may want to look at chlorination or other measure as explained by KC.

KC, read my original post concerning tap water and hosing a horse. As you have said yourself it is not impossible for water supply to heat up to body temp....it depends on the set up and size of tank and length of piping etc.

5. PPH

PPH Guest

And some times nature can throw an oddball.

What you say is no problem RR but how you say it.

Just the opinion of a Sore Loser

6. retroremedy

**) **) **)

How you interpret what I post is entirely up to you....that is how communication works especially when it is printed word only.

7. PPH

PPH Guest

When we first moved to our property the only water scource we had was dam water and a small rainwater tank. Come summer time, the dam would go low and start going putrid, not helped by 40 odd wild ducks landing on it 3 or 4 times a day.

So we had to sink the bore. We did suss out the scheme water, as a main pipe runs less than 20m from our back door, but after being quoted in excess of $15,000 as they would have to lay around 1km of new pipe, and then be told other ppl could then hook on for free, we went the bore water.

Cheers BM

8. PPH

PPH Guest

Why of course RR, how could I be so wrong?:)

9. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Not impossible but very improbable ..... everyone has large tanks, just not realistic to have a small one, unless its a fire unit or spray tank. A horse trough may heat up to that or a dams surface water, however when pumping from dams the suction is either at the bottom or off submersible pumps that hang in the middle .....it only heats up in the first couple of inches.
    I see no point in puting in a UV stablizer, reverse ozmosis plant or chlorination set up on a bore ...... everytime I have tested water quality ....in regards to ecoli etc from bores its always good. Only thing you may get from a bore is higher cloride levels in some areas
    In fact the only water source that gets high levels of bacterias, ecolis etc is dams where there is a high bird population. You could in a rainwater tank if you got dead vermin in there, but as most people dont feel to good about drinking rotten rat, they have proper screen on the inlet to prevent that from happening. I also wash down the roof before the first rains & clean gutters etc ..... but that just me, as I test water all the time. I am happy not to install treatment plants & I absolutely hate the taste of chlorine so only ever use it for treating water in a QA system that handles fresh produce & even then we constantly swab & test for microbials :)

10. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

So, back to ill-fitting saddles.

Somewhere waaay back in the thread someone made the statement that, once there, the white hairs are there forever. Well, I can attest that this is not always the case.

Last winter when I clipped Remy I was horrified to find two white hair patches on either side of the saddle. I had two saddle fitters come out, one who gave me a useless expensive saddle pad which narrowed the gullet down even further (and caused my horse obvious physical pain), the other who prescribed a wider gullet, which was much better. My horse never showed any signs of pain with either gullet but you have to suspect the saddle first when there are white hairs on both sides of the wither.

I must say I was surprised whern the summer coat came through and the white hairs fell out and did not reappear. Both white patches have gone.

So I think the moral of my story is, if you can get the saddle fitting sorted out pretty quickly, then it is possible that the white hair damage may not be permanent.

11. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

I found that also Lin ..... had a horse that started to develop white patches .... from the saddle, changed the saddle for one that fitted her better & like you the white went away never to reappear :)

12. retroremedy

Not any more they dont! Poly tanks are a new fashion item in the world today with many people with scheme water popping them on the side of the house/shed to collect rainwater for the garden, cleaning or washing horses!
    Even smaller than fire units! Check out the colours as well....even black tanks these days! :) Tanks- Poly Water Tanks- Manufactures of polyethylene rainwater tanks- Central Coast, NSW, Australia :)

But agree on the rest, got to keep a good eye on the water supply and keep collection services clean and tank liners maintained!

13. Ltd Edition Madcow

Ltd Edition Madcow Well-known Member

We are getting a small plastic tanks(I suppose it's poly?) put on the back of our stables to wash the horses. Currently our black piping is on top of the ground as our clay is too hard to get a trench digger in atm. The water gets so hot in that black piping stuff I think I could boil spuds in the water even after letting it run for 10mins. Anyway we're going to pump from the bore into the poly tank thingo as the distance is too far from the house for it's pressure pump.

I've also noticed in the past when white patches have appeared from ill fitting saddles they have disappeared over a period of time once the saddle was altered.

From my experience most white patches around the wither area have been caused by either ill fitting saddles or rugs or from an injury/accident.

14. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

I usually don't post in these threads but I am going to have something to say and then crawl back into my hole. Ok, you guys seem to think that RR attacks, but I am sorry to say, you are all coming across as the attackers. Janet seems fine with what was said and has stated she is in one piece so whats the problem. As far as I read, RR is blunt and to the point in her posts, but people don't seem to take to that :confused: I certainly agree with whoever said, it's the reader that interpret how it comes across because I am reading this in a whole different way.
    That being said, I have no clue on the cold water theory anyway lol.

15. Hi all!:)*
    the bottom line of this whole thread is:
    cold water can't cause the appearance of white hairs on the withers.:)
    bad saddle fitting can. :(
    Why go deeper? What's there more to prove?:confused: :confused:
    What matters is the CORRECT INFORMATION.**)
    It doesn't matter who is right and who is wrong, the main thing is that the TRUTH has been spoken and we all have learnt something out of this heated discussion.
    Grow up and deal with it.:)*
    Cheers, lena

16. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Well said Lena **)

17. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Exactly Lena, thank you.

18. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

:rolleyes: ...........
    (need I say more ):}

19. PPH

PPH Guest

All I can say is "You'll catch more flys with honey than with vinegar".

20. retroremedy

And definitely none with bile acids BM....good luck continuing to manifest a fly repellant reputation! :p **) :p **)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.