white flecking?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by mochaminx, Apr 9, 2008.

1. mochaminx

mochaminx Well-known Member

My 2 1/2 yr old riding pony filly (bay) has got quite a lot of grey hairs dispursed through her coat (rather like a mild roan if that makes sense) but which is contained mainly to her rump and flanks, with a smaller amount through her barrel. There are none on her head, neck or shoulders. I was wondering if anyone might know if this "pattern" might be caused through a particular gene modifier, or if she simply has white hairs through her coat!! I have had her for a year now and the grey hairs havnt increased, but they are more noticable at this time of year as her coat is obviously longer. Im thinking it may be "rabicano ticking" as she has the (apparent?) telltale sign of a white stripe at the top of her tail, but the rest of the white hair pattern doesnt exactly match the rabicano description! Only ever having owned TBs before I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of factors that can affect a different breeds colour!! If any of you have any ideas I would love to hear from you.
    I have attached a couple of pics, one about a month ago (with summer coat) and a couple today where its more noticable.
    PS this is the first time Ive tried to post pics so hopefully theyve worked!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. mochaminx

oh dear, sorry guys, I have somehow managed to post the whole thread twice (doh....) im sure I'll get the hang of this whole thing eventually........i hope:eek:

3. samm

samm Gold Member

Has she got a bottom lip marking?
    Looks like a rabicano with the coon ticked tail.

4. mochaminx

HI Samm,

please excuse my total ignorance but what would one look like if she had one???:eek: I know I sound like a complete dolt now, but I dont recall her having any sort of markings on her bottom lip unless its very well hidden :confused:

5. samm

samm Gold Member

Just a white marking thats all.
    Sabino's have a bottom lip mark,rabicanos dont .

6. mochaminx

oh i know what you're talking about now, no she doesnt have a white lip marking. I too thought she might be rabicano, (due to tail) but wasnt sure.

7. sylvasprings

sylvasprings New Member

i couldn't see the pics but flicking like that is typical of sabino, they don't have to have white markings but the flicking is sabino or rabicano.
    As far as I know rabicano starts with the stripes across the tail. I have a mare like that if you need to see a pic, she is a bay dun sabino and rabicano.

8. mochaminx

Hi sylviasprings, she does have a coon-tail (tho not quite as pronounced as ive seen in lots of pics of other rabicanos) but there is definately a white "stipe" at the top of her tail. If you could show me a pic of your mare that would be great, it would be interesting to compare as I believe the rabicano markings arnt that common, and so havnt seen any 'in real life' yet! Also, do you know how the 'gene' that causes it works?? Her sire is Ascot Royal Portrait and I have seen tons of photos of him and he doesnt appear to have the markings, but then apparently neither does the mare..perhaps it can skip generations??? Any ideas?? thanks