Which side of the float?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Koolie, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Koolie

Koolie Active Member

I remember reading somewhere that when floating a horse, it should be on the right hand side? Is this true and why should you float on the right hand side?

2. madison

madison Well-known Member

I float on the left because my horse won't travel on the right. The reason they say to float on the right is because of the camber on the road (higher in the middle lower on the outside edge), the feeling is that if you float on the left the horses weight will pull the float towards the verge. Haven't noticed this myself I think it's an old wives tale. :D

3. Ponypuppet

Ponypuppet Active Member

Yep if there is one horse should be on the right hand side and if there are two horses the heaviest should be on the right hand side (or it could be the tallest?) I was always told that it was because of the drains on the outside edge of the road? And also something to do with the extra weight being easier to manage on the drivers side? I dont drive though so not a clue :p

4. jlnew

jlnew Well-known Member

its due to the camber on the roads, you may not notice it on the better/wider roads around perth, but i can assure you on our 1 and a half lane wide roads down here it is very noticeable.

5. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Definitely very difficult to drive with a horse on the left, I can tell you that.

6. sandy81

sandy81 Active Member

Always on the float on the right. And as PonyPuppet said if you are floating 2 then the heaviest horse should be on the right.
    It is to do with the camber of the road. Have heard of a couple of cases where horses were floated on the left and the floats have rolled because of this reason. Wouldnt want to risk it myself, but there are some horses that will completely refuse to travel on the right hand side. Guess it all comes down to training.

7. Koolie

Koolie Active Member

Ooh thanks guys! Learn something new everyday around here! :D

8. sollywolly

sollywolly Well-known Member

We do the same as above..
    I would prefer to float the horse on the right for all the mentioned reasons but the horse travels so much better on the left. She scrambles on the right and moves around a lot but on the left she doesn't. Also can't feel the difference apart from the horse is a lot steadier. But as also said would probably feel it if we were on smaller roads.
    So float the horse on the right unless you have a very good reason not to.

9. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Really ? I guess it depends on where you live and the quality of the roads. Ive never really found it all that much different personally ';'

10. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Agree with you Zaza, Ive never found it much different either.
    I tow all our youngsters on both sides, usually one side on the way there and the other side on the way back - this way you dont end up with a horse that will only float on the right!

11. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

We had this discussion the other day. Around the metro area it doesnt make a huge difference, but off road or the back roads in the country yes there is a difference.

We cant compare ourselves to Americans as most of their roads are concrete based rather than tar like ours are.

Now if only they would make angle floats the right way up the camber.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  12. kp

kp Well-known Member

I know someone with an angle load like you say QSS and they really don't like it. They have had a lot of difficulty loading and unloading horses on it.

13. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

And the horses then face into the traffic.

Also, to me there is more weight on teh left side of the float here than the right, because the front legs are more central (due to head and neck)
    [​IMG]

In a normal angle load there is plenty of weight up the camber
    [​IMG]

I also dont like angle loads because of the lack of room, an angle load bay might be 2438mm, where as even my little float is 1820mm bay with 900mm headroom = 2720mm... And I found that *just* enough headroom for my horse!

14. painter

painter Well-known Member

I didn't notice a difference in Perth, but defiitely notice a difference with the camber down here on country roads. Not just the camber, but the quality of the bitumen roads, especially the edges, would make it easier for a float to tip if something goes wrong and the weight is on weight is on the left.

Heck, when I look at some of the gravel roads around me, I'm convinced the shire workers missed the training on road levels and camber completely!

15. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Thats because its virtually impossible to find a good final-trim grader operator. And the Shire councils salary offers are absolutely miserable compared to what a civil company will pay, so no good final trim operators work for the Shires! :p

Our horses travel on the same angle as the photo Heifer has posted, HOWEVER they face the other way (backwards) and they travel beautifully. And we travel mostly country roads. But the difference between towing a float and a gooseneck of similar size is worlds apart - a gooseneck is far more stable.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  16. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

It's not entirely obvious in Heifer's photo, but the Writco floats (which the photo is of) now have chest bars in the angle loads, which I really like the idea of. All they have to do is turn the horses around so they're facing backwards and put a bum bar of some sort at the back of the bay (the low round ones like they have in a JR) and I'd have my perfect float :)

Oh, except it would also need to be a gooseneck...