which float

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by jgs, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jgs

jgs New Member

looking at imperial and millsy floats appear similar do any owners of these floats have had any problems or advise good points on forum please pm if negatives as i don,t want to cause offence Thanks

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Milsy's are very heavy!!

3. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I have no advice on which to choose (I bought neither :p) but also be aware of the weight with the Imperials.
    I was warned a long time ago that the floats are weighed before being completely fitted out inside and that 'empty' weight is what's engraved on the compliance plate. Inspectors don't question the weight on the plates when the floats are put over the pits for licensing so most people would be none the wiser.
    For towing with a 4WD it won't matter much but if you're towing with a ute, sedan or normal station wagon, every kilo counts.
    I have a freind who got caught out by this recently and I can tell you she is less than impressed ! When in doubt, ask for it to be taken over the weigh bridge before puchase.

4. Kiwigirl

Kiwigirl Well-known Member

I have an Imperial and I love it, I have nothing bad to say about it and the customer (sp?) service that the guys at Jessie creek give cannot be faulted, it would be very hard to beat **)

5. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

They are both made in China, the specs are almost identical.

I have done MOUNTAINS of research into Chinese floats.

I would go Millsy purely because they don't charge you for the extras. Otherwise they are exactly the same. As long as you get one ordered without that dreaded back leg like what Marianne did. So better value for money.

Most manufacturers in China DON'T charge us for extras (eg. special paint etc).

But then if you saw first hand what you would pay for a float from China, you would NOT pay that much money for it here ;)

I am looking in a couple of years to bring my own over from there built to my own high specs. And it would still be cheaper (including freight, taxes etc) than an average second hand float here :D

6. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

I too am looking at a new float although I am looking at anything under $14,000. How heavy is heavy Caroline??

7. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

My Millsy weights 1250kgs. I have put photo's of it on a thread in General. I will bump it up so you can have a look at it if you haven't seen it already.

I love it.**)

8. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Yikes, that is heavy Marianne ! It sure looks nice though :))
    Still with one horse on board and and a 4WD up front it's all good.

9. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Yup, my Ranger pulls 3t so all good.

Another reason why I put the Greystone Travel Fence on it instead of yards.

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Bon & Ted what extras do those floats not charge for? If you purchase a double extended Imperial you get double full size access doors, tack box accessible both sides and storm doors as standard?

I weighed my float (Imperial) at a weigh bridge and it was fine.

11. Lucyloo

Lucyloo New Member

bugger i was looking at the Millsy float but I have a falcon so looks like it will be too heavy!

12. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I've just ordered an Australian made float, extended with tack box, rocker roller suspension and lifetime warranty for just under 13k.

13. holistichorse

holistichorse Well-known Member

who was this from??? sounds good!!

14. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

I have pm'd you holistichorse ;)

15. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

erm that's not the extras I was talking about ';'

I am talking the charges for custom paint jobs and alloy wheels. As I said, I have enquired at many places in China, and none of them charged extra for it :}

I think the floor of the Millsy's is good (double strength) has steel and marine ply. And everything is filled in, rather than the gaps around the tail lights on the Imperials. From memory the rump bars are slightly better also. Oh and not to mention the VAST price difference in the angle loads ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't want either of these floats :p *#) Just answering the OP's question. I think all in all, they are both good floats, Imperial has the advantage of having been around for a few years, Millsy's are new. But for overall design, I think the Millsy is a more optioned looking float.

Competition in anything is healthy, and I think it's good another china importer is giving the major player a run for their money.

Good for you, you have an Imperial and you like it. I think an unbiased opinion is always healthy.

16. katelol

katelol Guest

B&T, I've looked at the Chinese floats online and I'm intrigued that you are going to be brave enough to go direct. I probably would let the language barrier put me off. How do you plan to order exactly what you want and arrange transportation/customs/australian specs ? Do you have a horsey minded chinese friend to translate?

I only have a little horse (don't plan on anymore) and I would be ecstatic with a normal sized, safe and pretty standard double float. What kind of ball park price would you estimate for getting that on-road ?:)

17. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Really ? Well you're lucky then :p

When the agents was queried about the weight difference he told the float owner that it was common practice to weigh floats empty and then fit them out.
    Um, no, that's not the correct way at all.
    The one good point was that the agent acknowledged the issue and offered the purchaser her money back.