which company?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Pepsea, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Pepsea

Pepsea Gold Member

im looking to insure jayke for death/loss of use and vet bills...

he has had bad colic, twice. will he ever be able to be covered for colic vet bills?

2. tilda

tilda Well-known Member

im with petplan and obviously you can choose what type you want, but our insurance is for death or sustains an injury that will make him permanently unrideable, think that comes to around $1200 per year (could be wrong though just going off top of my head) and thy will pay us out for how much he's worth :)

i know theres heaps of companies around so go with the one that suits you best **)

3. Pony12

Pony12 Guest

I have mine insured with Premium Pacific and the cost is alot lower than Tilda's!!! OMG....but you have to look at how much you wish to insure them for also....

4. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I'm with Petplan and thought for how much I have insured them for it was quite reasonable.

5. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

IMHO unless you have a horse worth a lot of money (ie greater than $10-15K) it is much more economical to have a low interest/no annual fee credit card put aside for all those unexpected vet bills.

I got a quote for my old horse who I estimated was worth about $3500 and it was going to cost about $1000 per year for insurance. In my eyes for low level show/pleasure horses like most people have that is just too much.

Id prefer to have that money in my pocket, and only outlay if an emergency occurs.

I personally have a $10K credit card sitting around for all my animals just in case. This should cover any colic surgery, or referral surgery that may be required. In the unlikely event the vet bill is more than this - that when I start selling things :eek:

6. Pony12

Pony12 Guest

That doesnt sound right to me...i have one of my horses insured for $3500 and it costs me $120 a year for him!

7. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

That was full insurance coverage - death, colic surgery, all vet bills etc.

The premium came in just under $1000.

8. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

I insure with Logans and find them very reasonable in price.

The only thing is they dont do loss of use... only death and vet cover.

But i have 2 horses insured with them one for $17500 and the other for $30000 and i pay just under $2000 per year in total for both, for vet cover and Death.

Just make a list of insurance places Em, Ring them all and get a quote. As he is a gelding, I would definetley say you'd want loss of use.

9. kathera

kathera Active Member

I have just called petplan $1100 for death, vet and tack 5k and same at logans $600..... Will read the fine print when receive but that's a no brainer for me!

10. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

Mine are insured with Logans and I pay through Premium Pacific also!

Direct deposit monthly! so cheep....no vet bills though!