Which boots for groundwork?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Floggadog, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

I know nothing about boots for leg protection & am wanting to use something on my mare for a clinic I'm hoping to take part in. I sat & watched the last clinic (in April) & noticed one mare managed to stand on her self, which looked quite painful.
    So what do I use to stop my mare knocking her legs around whilst doing/learning groundwork?

Cheers

2. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

I would only put some bell boots on.

3. islabee

islabee New Member

Ive done lots of ground work clinics and have never seen that happen, that horse must have been having an unco moment:D
    Horses do ground work all the time in the paddock on there own and are fine, I wouldnt get too worried about. Steel caps for your self could be handy though;)

4. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Not sure islabee. I didn't see it happen but did notice the poor mare couldn't put her hoof down for quite a while.

Thanks QSS.

5. corporate pride

corporate pride Well-known Member

i would only bother with boots if my horse had a tendancy to be unco and step on themselves, then i would go bell boots. but sometimes if they step on themselves it might get ride of the unconess...(inventor of words = me) u know learn to place their feet ON the ground not on themselves

6. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

You would be able to get reasonably priced bell boots and splint boots for under $60 all up from any horse shop. The back legs shouldn't need anything, just wrap the fronts and have fun at your clinic.

If your not too far away, I have plenty of spares I could lend you. Just PM if you want.:)*

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I always use plain old shin and tendon boots. They're cheap and they do the job nicely.
    I also use bell boots on the front for when I'm at a clinic and we're doing any lateral work - either on the ground or in the saddle :)
    Do you mind is I ask what clinic you're doing Floggadag ?

8. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Thanks Deb, very kind of you to offer but I'm in Mt Barker. Oh & what are splint boots?

Zaza - are shin & tendon boots the same as splint boots? (I told you I know nothing ;) )
    Also are we talking about the rubber bell boots that velcro on?

Oh & I'm hoping to book into a Steve Brady clinic in Albany. :)

9. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

You can use the rubber bell boots with or without velco, of the plastic ones or even the neoprene ones :)
    And yep, shin and tendon or splint boots - same thing.

I'm doing his clinic up here at Brookleigh. Looking forward to it **)

10. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

flogga, I have a whole heap of boots that I don't use...you are more than welcome to come over and pick some out if you want...save the added expense of buying some if you don't know whether you will need them ;)
    Feel free to PM me...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  11. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Thanks Ash. Will do :)