1. We need members to write feature posts. Posts can be made in any forum and are automatically displayed on the home page as well. Remember content is king!

where to buy dung beetles?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by up4thechase, Jul 30, 2008.

1. up4thechase

up4thechase Active Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where you can buy dung beetles? Or is willing to sell me some?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. No idea but I dig them up in my yards all the time :p

3. miniequine

miniequine Well-known Member

No idea as mine just came to me. Would try CSIRO or the agriculture Dept. They would know I reckon...

4. Medalleon

Medalleon New Member

I tried the agricultural dept 6 months ago and I'm still waiting for a response! I would suggest finding some nice person who has them and get out there with a bucket and some willing hands... go dig through some poo, it's good for the soul ;)

5. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

My sister is part of the Lucyvale Dung Beetle Group in Victoria - I'll ask her about suppliers for you. What time of the year do you need them to be active? Different species are active at different times of the year.

I just rang her and she'll email me a local supplier when she gets home.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  6. up4thechase

Thanks very much. I spent most of the day on the net looking to no avail. Probably for when it starts to warm up a bit as I live next to a market garden and the flies r going to be murder come summer.

7. HorseSlave

I've PM'd you a WA supplier. Don't know what varieties he has, perhaps you can post some info here after you've spoken with him in case other stockies are interested? :)

8. suga1624

suga1624 Well-known Member

i would GIVE u some if i could catch them. got so many i hate how loud they are and they fly into my face at sunset =[
    haha thats my story lol

9. up4thechase

Thanx everyone for your help. I guess sometimes its easier to ask a question than to try and find an answer yourself.

10. Eureka

Eureka New Member

Geez i could do with some up here in the goldfields, never seen them up this way though #( I wonder if they would survive if i was to get a good supply up this way.? would also love some info for the WA supplier i could ask him how they would cope up here!
    cheers
    Eureka

11. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

HorseSlave can you please PM his contact too ?? **)

Cheers
    Lee

12. Kintara

Kintara Well-known Member

I've seen them up here, but I think I managed to kill my last lot when I drenched sometime ago. I haven't seen any for a while :( I get a few munching away on the dog poo now and then. It seems to depend on what I feed them. There's no huge population of dung beetles up here I don't think though.
    Cheers

Danni

13. HorseSlave

I've PM'd you the suppliers name and number Citygirl and Eureka.

Kintara, you're right, worming horses can knock the dung beetles, depending on which wormer you use :( (And I'm not sure which ones do and don't kill them)

14. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Thanks HS

Oh bugga..I'd not thought of that #( how can we find out...ask the supplier ?

Cheers
    Lee

15. mval

mval New Member

Looking for Dung Beetles

I am also looking for a supplier of Dung Beetles. I'm located in Northern Ohio.
    From what I've read, I think I need Bubas Bison Dung Beetles.

16. HorseSlave

Hi and welcome mval. Most of us on here are in Australia, Western Australia to be specific, WA for short (not Washington). Afraid I have no idea about American suppliers :(

17. milzenzab

milzenzab Active Member

My paddocks are FULL of them. They spread every bit of my manure. Which makes it harder to put up the manure. But good I quess that I have good soil. If you lived in QLD, I Would say COME and GET SOME!!!

18. Maddog 29

Maddog 29 Well-known Member

If somebody still has the contact of the WA supplier could you please PM the details?

Cheers
    Amanda

19. simbin

simbin Gold Member

hehehe Simbin sees a chance to make some money.

If you come to where I agist I can sell I mean give you some.