When to stop??

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by C HORSE, Feb 14, 2014.

1. C HORSE

C HORSE Well-known Member

I have my first mare in foal. When should I stop showing her (in hand showing only)

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Last 3 months - but she'll tell you when she's had enough.

3. C Horse:)
    How much roughly:) have you spend on putting her in foal all up?

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

C Horse, is this your Shetland? How exciting :D

5. PsoasPony

PsoasPony Guest

I am a little confused ... how is this relevant? ';'

I would stop showing around the last 3 months :)

6. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Regardless of how much you spent on putting her in foal :dry:, if her pregnancy ticks along with no drama's, and she is looking the picture of health, then I would keep going for as long as she looks perky and full of life.

7. C HORSE

I don't understand Coliban QHS???
    I bought her in foal have had a scan done on her and she is due in November.
    This is my first ever foal from a mare so I'm new to it all.. so was just asking
    Thanks all :)

8. The everage cost of putting a mare in foal to a decent stallion is around $2K - $$2.5K. I wouldn't be risking my investment if it were me, in case a mare reabsorbs, for a sake of a ribbon.:)
    I am a believer that if you want to breed a mare than don't ride it:) In our breeding contract we don't give a LFG to a mare brought back to work for the very same reason. Check out with the stallion owner the clause and conditions of the breeding contract on your mare before you take her out.
    Cheers.:)

9. PPH

PPH Guest

She should be fine :) If it's only halter there is no real stress to her and as long as she is happy and not stressed out by it all, why not. Not much different to taking them for a vet visit or the like. Like others have said, 3 months of should be fine. Basicly don't start anything new but keep doing what you normaly do.

10. C HORSE

She isn't a riding pony just took her out with my other pony to do a halter class and she was such a good girl I think she enjoyed it as well as all the pampering that went with it all.... brushing washing eating.... she has had a few foals so this one isn't her 1st. She even was good for the vet when we took her in for a scan. She takes it all in her stride... lovely girl. Also thought if I do take her out and she does ok (which she has) I can say if I ever sell the foal on, that the Mum has done well in the ring ;-)

11. PsoasPony

PsoasPony Guest

While I understand what you are saying about the risks of the investment into the horse, does it make a difference if C Horse had spent $1 putting the mare in foal, compared to $1000? At the end of the day, the mare is in foal, and C Horse is wanting to do right by the mare. I don't know how the dollar value effects your answer, CQHS?
    If your mare only cost $1 to put in foal, would you be more likely to show them while pregnant?

12. CTCT

CTCT New Member

So by that rationale, only show the mare if it cost you less than 50c to put her in foal :)*
    Go with your gut CHorse: if she's happy, blooming, it is not a high risk pregnancy and the mare is not stressed by show prep and the actual showing, keep on doing it.

13. What other people do with their horses is up to them. :} I can only offer an advice based on my long time experience in breeding horses, it is up to them to take it on board or completely ignore it.:)

I do value and take care of our monetary investment in the breeding stock to my best ability, on top of that I also wouldn't want to jeopardize our time and effort put into breeding mares.:D It is a hard work and 11 months of gestation is a long time to waste unnecessarily, jmo:)
    Pregnant mares are finicky. Some handle changes well, the others stress a lot which might lead to a reabsorbsion. Why risk all the money, time and effort?';'
    :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  14. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

Show her if it's just halter and you're confident she'll be cruisy :)

My Highland mare was extensively shown, and so after she was scanned PTIF at 45 days, she was shown in hand again, and! SHOCK HORROR, ridden in the fancy dress! :eek:

She couldn't have cared less, it's what she's used to! :) She was happy to do it, and apart from falling asleep as the judge sashed her, she was her usual self in the arena, straight down to business, no toe out of line.

My TB mare on the other hand will probably not be shown whilst she's in foal, she wasn't shown in hand last year so we won't risk it with her.

No matter what $$ amount I paid for the service fees to my mares, if the mares will cope with what I want them to do, I'll do it. Gracie still goes on walking rides every now and then, she loves it!!

The stallion owner is happy for me to ride and compete my mares up until the 3rd trimester, and still holds to a LFG.

:)

15. LisaJ

LisaJ Well-known Member

Totally off topic, but how many mares (and stallions for that matter) are actually working horses, broken to saddle and worked before being put in the breeding paddock? Injuries preventing riding not withstanding. Is this something breeders aim for or are looks enough to ensure a career as a breeding horse?

16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

And with the market the way it is, why would anyone expect any less from a mare than being able to cope with a simple Halter Show? Temperament is as important as any other factor, and yes, I do believe a mare should be, at least, minimally educated (unless injured) in it's breed discipline before being bred.

17. C HORSE

thank u all for your responses :)
    I was thinking today...
    I did IVF to have my baby and I didn't hide myself away I carried on went to work and I did fine.. and that cost mega $$$...
    But each to there own ;-)

18. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

And yes to the question of should they be proven..

I waited until my Highland Pony mare was competent under saddle, and we rode at the PRS before she was put in foal. My TB mare had 'proved' herself with her previous foals, and she was going to be shown before put in foal this time around but she sliced her head open and was unshowable the entire season! :}