When to clip for the Royal?

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Skittled, May 14, 2014.

1. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

I'm entering my palomino in the breed section for the Royal. His winter coat is growing rather quickly and thickly. So I am wondering what to do in terms of clipping so I'm not showing a winter woolie.

Do I clip now so I can work out how his coat colour will react and then again 6 weeks out from the royal or do I just wait until 6-4 weeks from the royal?

I don't have access to stables with lights.

2. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

The shortest day is the 21st of June, so if you can clip after this date, you will only need to clip once :)

3. Skittled

Good point :)

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I wouldn't clip. Rug well and brush like no tomorrow and you should have a nice coat! Worked for me :).

5. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Clip as soon as the coat starts falling out by the handful but before the new coat comes through.

Coats on pallies can rarely brushed out in time for the Royal if not under lights. Everyone I know who has tried has ended up with cream fluff that won't shift still on at the Royal... One year I tried brushing Diva for an hour or so each night and I still couldn't get it all out! And of course the colour is so different to the summer coat it is much more obvious than a bay lol

6. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I clip & show from the paddock, they have been clipped April & May & never needing clipping again for the Royal, or Arabian States.
    The Miniatures on the other hand - clip nearly every show LOL. :eek:

7. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Oh, I should say my advice is based on not showing until the Royal :) As Remaani said, if you are showing through winter you can clip any time, rug appropriately and you should be fine :)

8. Skittled

I do plan on showing during winter, once I find a show that is on when I'm not at work. I might do a clip as soon as I can, so I can see whether he goes white or not so I can no be panicing later in the year.

Thanks guys :)

9. tash189

tash189 New Member

On a bit of a tangent from this thread, but I am wanting to enter my QH mare into the Royal, for my first Royal show yay, Im a bit excited!!

I noticed on the breed show schedule it mentions online entries, but I couldn't see anywhere on the website that it lets you do this.....am I missing it ';' or is it not available yet?

Thanks in advance!

Tash :))

10. Skittled

I can't seem to find the online entry bit either....

11. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Online entries are up today :)

12. tash189

tash189 New Member

Thanks Mirawee! :))