What's your worming regime?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Nicki, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

ITA. It makes for interesting and informative reading and might encourage people to put a little more thought into what their own practices are, and maybe try something a little different to what they are used to, whether that be more or less worming or whatever. That's why I asked the questions in the beginning, to see the variety of practices and maybe get some ideas for the future, especially when we have the horses on our own place within the next year or two.

Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed information and knowledge to this thread, I hope people will continue to add to it. :)*

2. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

3. Exister

Exister Active Member

This is what happens when there is no pasture management, no worming. (and no food or access to clean water to boot) 6 MO standardbred. Mare was "put down" due to recurinng colic. I wonder why she was colicing? the foal, dubbed Trevor, could not absorb any food due to the parasites. Feacal count of 3500 if memory serves correctly. I had him pts 3 days after we rescued him. Seriously how hard is it to see a horse is that unhealthy? RSPCA did nothing. RIP Trev :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Exister

Exister Active Member

Juat adding I pts on vet reccomendation. Vet said his insides were literaly disintegrating, no stomach lining etc, he said it would have been cruel to save him #:)mad::(

5. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Serious AR?

You come in, stir the pot completely (yes we all know Hen is a shit stirrer, but at least she posts regularly on the forum and actually contributes) and THEN ask if it's always so bitchy?

???

6. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

This thread has certainly gotten interesting.. Learnt a few things though :) Didn't realise you had to rotate wormers!

7. Cav

Cav Gold Member

ahh Lauren dear let it go :) (I will add though I love henny and would miss her if she wasnt here, she is good value)

Milton....that is disgusting to think anyone could let an animal get to that stage! You mentioned worm count 3500? is that the number of eggs they found in a piece of poo? can anyone please explain faecal egg counts (sorry if you have allready just let me know and ill go back and find it!) **)

8. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Sorry sorry.. back to worms.

Those pics are heartbreaking milton :(

9. Leon

Leon Well-known Member

Haven't read most of this thread.. started too..

But the above quote is what stockies is all about, AWESOME that you learnt something new from this thread Myyky**)

10. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

Milton's picture is a good illustration of what happens when humans develop resistance to responsibility and common sense when it comes to livestock management.

It's also a perfect illustration of how there is no "one-size-fits-all" worm control that suits all horses in all scenarios. Worm control programmes should incorporate worming treatments, paddock management and monitoring (to guide treatment decisions and make sure that treatments and paddock management are working). In a well-planned worm control programme, the ideal balance of these 3 aspects will vary between horses/properties according to the factors that affect risk like age of the horses, ability to manage pasture contamination, types of parasites present, general health of horses and so on. If you ignore any one of these aspects, then there is a risk that the worm control can breakdown and worm numbers build up.

11. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

What is a faecal worm egg count?
    A faecal worm egg count is a test that measures of the number of worm eggs in a sample of manure.

The result represents an estimate of the concentration of worm eggs in the manure sample (worm eggs per gram of faeces).

The worm egg count test is performed on a small sample of fresh manure. The manure is accurately weighed then diluted with a super-salty solution. The worm eggs are counted using a microscope and a special microscope slide.

Why are faecal worm egg counts helpful?
    Faecal worm egg counts are a useful tool for fine-tuning effective and sustainable parasite control programmes.

Faecal worm egg counts can be used to:
    • Monitor if treatments are effectively removing worms (treatment efficacy)
    • Monitor how well current worm control programme is controlling worms throughout the year
    • Identify infected horses so that they can be treated before they develop harmful large worm burdens
    • Identify horses contaminating the pasture with worm eggs which can then infect other horses
    • Manage grazing and pastures to reduce the risk of worm infection
    • Investigate weight loss or recurrent colic
    • Investigate of the parasite status of introduced horses

What are the benefits of using a faecal worm egg counts for monitoring my worm control programme?
    Faecal worm egg count test results can be used to monitor and fine-tune sustainable worm control programmes. Worm control programmes should aim to minimise worm burdens, prevent parasite-related disease whilst also delaying resistance to worming treatments.

Horses with evidence of parasite burdens can be identified and treated before they develop parasite-related disease.

Worm egg counts can be used to identify horses shedding large numbers of worm eggs.Treatment of these horses reduces further contamination of pasture with immature worms that can re-infect horses.

Monitoring worm egg output of horses gives an indication of the likely level of worm contamination of paddocks. Heavily contaminated pastures are risky for young horses and horses with a depressed immunity against worms. Understanding pasture contamination and grazing management is an integral part of effective and sustainable parasite control programmes.

Monitoring using regular worm egg count testing gives an indication of how well the worm control programme is controlling the number of adult strongyle worms. If you are not using worm egg count monitoring, you cannot be sure that your existing control programme is effectively controlling strongyle worm burdens.

How often should I have faecal worm egg counts performed?
    The timing and frequency of faecal worm egg count monitoring will depend on individual circumstances and the existing parasite control programme.

More frequent monitoring may be recommended for high risk horses, particularly young horses and horses exposed to a high level of parasite challenge and so the frequency of testing should be discussed with your vet, particularly if you are aiming to reduce treatment frequency.

If you choose to treat all horses at regular intervals (generally every 6-12 weeks, depending on the treatment used) then worm egg count monitoring once or twice a year will establish if the current programme is effective at maintaining low adult strongyle worm burdens.

If a worm egg count test result indicated that a horse requires treatment, a follow-up test 7-14 days after treatment will show if the treatment was effective at removing adult worms. This is called a faecal egg count reduction test (FECRT). Reduction tests are a valuable tool in understanding how well different treatments are working - this is essential for designing effective and sustainable worm control programmes.

12. Cav

Cav Gold Member

Tanks for taking the time to post that wormwatch. It was an interesting read! **)

13. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

my personal worm control is variable.

when i first get a horse it is wormed oil drenched and teeth done so i know where i am starting from.

then i look at the horses coat and make sure the horse is happy and healthy.

depending on the size of the area they are grazing on i vary the paddock management.

in smaller acres i pick up manure daily unless the dung bettle are there in large numbers or the grass is too high to find it.

i rotate paddocks and once the horses are off the paddock i go over any long patches or remaining manure with the lawn mower. i love the ride on lol.

would love to steal next doors sheep to knock off a little more grass but haven't done that yet.

i remove bot eggs by hand

have been using strategy t lately but only maybe as often as every change of season or when i am not happy with the condition of the horse.

definately worm more then once a year but not very often.

i think 6 weekly worming is not necessary unless the horse is on limited pasture, coming across potentially heavy worm burdened pasture, or new horses being introduced to the system.

i believe there is a huge drive by pharmo chemical suppliers to put our money into their pockets. as an ex vet nurse i have witnessed the promotion of sales by such companies to the potential detriment of the health of the animals being treated.

for those interested in exploring that idea look onto vaccination regimes, flea treatment and worming treatments in small animals.

oh and by the way i first came into horse ownership around 27 years ago when the recommendations were to worm every 6 weeks or your horse would get colic and die. i understand why hen has the worming regime she has. it is what we were told to do. we were told that anyone who didn't worm every 6 weeks was a neglectful and cruel owner.

14. smash

smash Well-known Member

))))) waves at HEN ((((((((((((
    chin up, it is always good to have your beliefs and back them up with WHY you have them. this does not mean it is right or wrong, it is just sharing your opinion on a subject.
    There are others in this thread that do agree with you (I am not one of them) yet you seem to have been singled out and attacked which is a real shame.
    anyway, hen, thank you for sharing your opinion.
    cheers
    great thread and loving wormwatch's posts.

15. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Thanks Smash **) yes it got rather personal (!) and I partly have myself to blame for that, as I should have ignored and carried on but instead I allowed myself to get drawn into catty nonsense .. know better for next time *#):D I am told there are lots of rumours and accusations flying around but hey, good luck to em **)

16. NumidianHorse

NumidianHorse Active Member

... We worm on arrival, for significant change of circumstance and do egg count. Have participated in research (possibly with you WormWatch??) ... result was low faecal egg count and healthy animals.

... I took it that the new person's reference to a "lot of shit", was because that was essentially what we were discussing "shit" ... horse / goat / sheep etc and the worms contained in it and the living gut - I chose to see it as possibly tongue in cheek, vs confrontational. If the person meant it in a derogatory way, I chose to let it go through to the keeper cos I'm simply interested in the topic ... so welcome from me - Adult Rider. ;)

Have (for the most part) enjoyed this topic ... SOOO much good information provided by the vets / researchers etc ... and good explanation of regime and personal opinion from ordinary educated horse owners like myself. :}

Wormwatch - am certainly interested in reading all this stuff in more detail and making use of your services ... and to Raw Prawn / Anna & any other vets - THANKS for the free advice!

To those who chose to take the topic off track by being rude ... please can you just cool down and stop it (both on this and other topics). I respect everyone's right to an opinion and regime - I would just prefer to spend my time reading the educational and informative stuff, rather than trying to skim over the un-necessary petty comments. Thank you **)

Am off out to the paddock to study more shit! :p

17. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Minus the flotsam and jetsam, this thread has provided me with a heap of interesting reading about worming. Thank you to those that have provided their opinions and learnings about worming. I really have learnt a lot from this thread and I wonder if Admin or the Mods could filter the trash make it a sticky?!?!

It's certainly made me take note of my own worming practices!! Thank you everyone!!

18. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

What a fantastic thread! THANK YOU WORMWATCH :)) and all the other people posting fab info.. A sticky on this topic (without all the crap) would be great :D

Adultrider seriously are you for real.. sorry just had to say. :(

19. Raw Prawn

Raw Prawn Well-known Member

Wormwatch.....will you do faecal egg counts on dog faeces? Im going to send in a sample from my horse but wanted to get by fluffy children done at the same time. If not no biggy, can send to Vetpath :)*

20. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

I'm surprised more people don't actually do worm egg counts. Agistment centres etc especially where the cost can be divided up and hence so much cheaper. I've done it a few times and have had very few to no worms found. I suppose i don't see the need to spend money on worming if there are no worms present.

If i am going to worm its usually with the change of season into spring and autumn (so twice a year) and/or if going to a new property. I try and rotate the active ingredient each time.

My last horse though was found to be allergic to the 'mectins' (previous owner found out the hard way by worming him and the resulting vet bills) so that made rotating a bit harder.