What's your worming regime?

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Nicki, Oct 18, 2011.

1. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Great post Cav! **)

2. adult rider

adult rider New Member

Thank you Cav....Every horse is different and if my old pony wasnt on a beautifull lush green property with shade, yards and fresh water I probablly wouldnt be so lucky but defs not going to change anything now.... He has been retired for years now and likes to be left alone and will still push you over to get to his dinner... Should tell everyone what I feed him daily to see how many people disaprove... I also give him a can of beer in his food to wet it and he loves it he also loves hot chips and strawberry and cream lollies....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

You're not alone Adult rider. My old mare, who has been with me for 25 years has tasted very few wormers, has never had her hind hooves touched & saw the dentist for the first time at 26. One tooth was pulled & some rasping.
    Her only need for the vet was skin off her leg at the age of 5. No other illnesses.

as for this comment...
    My support shouldn't be a surprise seeing as I have run my horse in a similar fashion & don't have a problem with it.
    Not everything is about you Hen :}

4. mod 7

mod 7 Moderator

Please make sure you read and understand the code of conduct.

5. Members who are argumentative, intolerant, confrontational, and lack respect for others will be removed. While debate is often healthy, habitual debaters and people who seek confrontation will be removed and potentially blocked from making future posts.

6. Never be rude or dismissive about another member?s post(s)! Being rude or dismissive leads to "flaming" and even if it doesn't, it makes many of our forum participants very uncomfortable! Should any member have a problem with someone else?s behaviour towards them in this regard please take it up with the forum administrator rather than trying to deal with it yourself. Warnings will be issued to the offending member and after three warnings the member will be deleted from our member database and their ip address blocked.

Please don't turn this very informative thread into a personal confrontation.
    Stay on track or I will come and sit on those who don't get this message.

5. Cav

Cav Gold Member

No it is not always "bitchy" although I am first to admit I too have jumped hard on people before without sitting back and looking at the big picture. Dont take it personally, I used to and spent half my time worrying about it, might explain the grey hairs!

If your horse is happy and you are happy and your routines and habits work for you and your horse then that is all that matters. I feed my pony wayyyyy to many sugar cubes...he is constantly on a sugar high and may be an explanation as to why he is a slightly retarded rug sucker but, we are happy :) Ive fed my horses cheeseburgers and burger ring and icecream over the years...horses dont eat what they dont like **) (no I didnt give it every day it was usually on the way home from a show stop at maccas...burger for me and one for the pony!) I am very interested to know about this beer in the feed though, never heard of that?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2011
  6. adult rider

adult rider New Member

I think that there is really one person here upseting and ruining the thread for everyone... Is this not an open discussion and anyone can have their opinion... I get slammed and acused of fabricating a horse where clearly with support from people that know me and my horse it is not a made up story... I have a different view as do others so dont need to be slammed nor made to feel like I am not providing the best care for my animal... I am a new member and as a new member here is some feed back.... on a different note if i turned to this thread for advise and i was a young girl still learning i would be scared shittless that I would not be able to keep up with the cost of worming every 6 weeks well I think my post is relivent especially to young new horse owners that as long as you give your horse love, keep him warm, make sure he has ample feed and water and check his poo daily you are a caring loving horse owner

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  7. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Beer always used to be considered a cure for colic..
    As well as a good source of B vitamins (all that brewer's yeast) and iron. pregnant women used to be prescribed a pint of stout a day!
    It defintiely puts a good shine on a horse's coat.

8. Cav

Cav Gold Member

What type of beer do you use then and how much? I have heard before beer can be a cure for colic, just pour it straight down their throat...maybe thats why adult riders horse is so god damn healthy! Beer kills the worms and cleans out the gut?? Maybe? Anyone know? Now here is a thought.....would beer make the worms drunk (I know it wouldnt but I just had an image of little worms hiccuping their way through a horses guts)??

adult rider, perhaps best we dont keep going on about hen, mod 7 has warned all of us that they will sit on us if we dont get back on track! :)*

9. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

What do you mean used to Anna? Breastfeeding women should definitely still indulge in a Stout a day. Makes good milk & fat babies. ;)
    Cascade stout was always my fav & I breastfed my babes for a looong time :D

10. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

And you're not trying to do the doing the same ? Perhaps you should be the bigger person here ;)
    You now the old saying about 2 wrongs not making a right :}

Get over it people. Each to their own and all that . Just saying :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2011
  11. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

Sorry - I hope my post about sheep cross-grazing wasn't patronising. I wrote that about sheep thinking it might be helpful in general. I hear about people having a couple of sheep or goats to keep the weeds/worms under control, but the reality is you need to "crash graze" and rest paddocks to have any real effect. It sounds like your grass controllers are doing a super job. Hopefully they understand the great importance of their work as operating officers in the pasture management team and you can continue to leave sprayers and slashers in the shed :)

I take it you are asking about horse stomach bots and not sheep nasal bots? I seem to remember that the bot 3rd instar larvae can stay in the stomach for several months (2-10 months? happy to be corrected) before they detach from the stomach wall, leave the gut along with undigested feed/manure and pupate to become bot flies in the dung pile. My understanding is that they have this long and variable period of development inside the horse so that they can spend the winter months inside whilst the temperature conditions outside are too cold for development and activity of the flies. It's usually recommended to treat horses in late autumn/early winter to try and "clean out" the larvae that may have accumulated in the stomach over the preceding weeks/months, but you may need more than one treatment depending on the degree of bot fly activity. If you had a bad bot season last year, then you should consider using a treatment that covers bots in Spring/Summer to reduce the number of larvae emerging from horses in the warmer months. Have you spoken to your vet? Based on their local knowledge, they might have some suggestions on timing of treatments that are appropriate for your area? I can't comment on my own experience as I have found 1 bot egg on my horses in the last 6 years. Yes - I removed the bot egg and wormed the horse :) Hopefully the bot outbreak of 2009 didn't do too much damage.

12. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

:eek:
    Imagine being the researcher that was the bearer of bad news about foetal alcohol syndrome and this not being a great idea any longer? Almost as bad as discovering that there is no evidence to support a claim that chocolate is a valid treatment for anything/everything. Evidence-based medicine does have it's downsides :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  13. Floggadog

Floggadog Guest

Not patronizing at all Worm Watch. I'm not the only reader here & am hoping everyone can learn from people like yourself willing to share the knowledge around. :)
    I do feel however that my pasture management team are not always appreciative of the important work they perform. At least thats what they tell me when they think it's moving time ;)

Yes it was the horse stomach bots I was questioning. I got caught out with a neighbours horse who visited for a little longer than expected :rolleyes:
    They have had their Imax Gold late Autumn (& I forgot to check the manure for larvae ) but I would like to hit them again before the little buggers are due to release into the pasture. Will have a chat with our local as suggested & see if they have any ideas.

Thankyou :))

14. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

Can we all just relax and accept that it takes all types to make the world go around, and lots of those types own horses and have access to the internet.

It would be disappointing if this thread got locked and removed. Not least because lots of us have typed a lot in the responses, and it would be nice to be able to link this thread and not to have to re-type it all 6 months down the track when someone starts a post on "how often do you worm your horse?"

15. Anna E

Anna E Guest

LOL Cav - drunk parasites.. It's even funnier when you appreciate that actually the way a lot of worming chemicals get rid of the little buggers is by paralysing them....
    Anyway - I think stout is what people always swore by in my good old days in the UK... More B vits in the darker beers I think.
    The rationale behind using it for colic is to relieve gut spasm and to help shift impactions (when I think of the effect it has on MY gut motility when I have a few too many it does kinda make sense although I doubt just one bottle would have that sort of effect on a horse!). I doubt it would help to shift sand... ;)
    My mother had a stout every day through all 3 of her pregnancies and I think we turned out OK...

16. wormwatch

wormwatch Active Member

:)

I would think the aim would be to treat whilst larvae are still in the horse and susceptible to drugs. Do you have dung beetles out yet? The other thing to think about is that ivermectin and abamectin will kill dung beetles as well as bots. If you treat now with an ivermectin/abamectin, hopefully you can knock off as many bot larvae as possible and minimise collateral damage/dung beetle casualties. If you use a treatment that covers bots and tapeworms, then that should also help to reduce/kill any tapeworms that may have accumulated over winter. If you have dung beetles out, maybe consider moxidectin. Moxidectin (Equest) is less toxic to dung beetles and does have a label claim for bots. There were some reports a few years ago suggesting that moxidectin is not as effective against bots as ivermectin, but there have been other published studies showing that efficacy is similar. It's not uncommon for any treatment not to remove 100% of bot larvae.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  17. Diana

Diana Gold Member

IMO. You came on rather strong in your first post in this thread. Calling a thread a load of poo in the first line is just fighting words #(

Then going on to badmouth at another member on SY....

';' I felt rather intimidated and it wasn't even directed at me! :eek:

18. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

Wow hasnt this thread gone down hill since yesterday??? We need more blokes on here thats for sure, there would be way less bitchiness! ;)

19. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Male half of Brew Here = I think that this thread got a little heated and not a few members will have red faces when they read there posts in the cold light of day !!!!! The plus side of this is it shows the passion of the members and I admire people who stand up for what they believe regardlss but a public forum does need some decorum - right now a lot of members who read this thread would seriously consider not posting for fear of reprisal and that makes us all poorer,
    As far as worming goes I prefer the 12 week program as I am not in a high risk area but horse owners can worm as little or as much as they like - It's their horse!!

20. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

There had so better be pics Cav!:D:D