What would you do?

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by dopeyqh, Nov 17, 2011.

1. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

The situation: young horse left out in a paddock for 3 months with very rich grass (high energy), needing to be brought back in to work and restored to calm trails mount, will be completely full bottle with all the tricks he can manage (shying, napping, bucking/pigrooting, ignorance to cues...)

I need to bring him back to a normal placid state so I can reinstall his buttons before he is used again as a quiet mountain trails horse.

How would you get a horse from this hyperactive state with wayyyyy to much energy into the normal calm, quiet horse he is when worked? He gets pigheaded, pushy and ignorant when he is full bottle like this, and needs to be drained of his silliness before he is ready to listen and learn.

Any techniques, ridden, lunging or otherwise, would be appreciated! :)

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Change his feed to ad lib quality hay only and re-install ground manners only for a week or so (time depends on horse).

I'm currently reading up on a "gimmick" (maybe?) product from the US called a Stableizer which would (or so the purport), work for cases like yours. Have a Google ;)

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

join up sessions, lots of one rein stops.**)

Oh and take him off the good green feed back onto normal grassy hay and ride the pants off him.

4. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

FYI - I have a stabeilizer, i have it for one of my show horses who was just about impossible to trim up. She is super sensative and was not only dangerous but totally terrified and would shake all over.

I watched the dvd it came with so i understood how it worked and after 5 mins of it being on, walla i wa able to trim her ears, bridle path and under the jaw with minimal fuss. Alot less stress to everyone and a much safer situation for everyone!

I only use it for trimming up, i would suggest if your horse is stuffing around when your riding him to go over his ground manners, if he is still fizzy under saddle maybe you need to have a good hard look - are you a nervous rider anticipating and waiting for something to go wrong?

Good luck with it ....:)*

5. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

This is the feedback ive been trying to find on the stabilizer. I have a super sensitive gelding who i cannot trim up and he becomes outrageously dangerous. Think i might invest in one and see how we go

6. Tallarook

Gamby - make sure you google the video on how to use it. The demonstration of the horse he clips up is sedate compared to how mine was.

It works great, no trauma to any of us nor the horse. A HUGE improvement.......:)*

7. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

thanks everyone :)
    Scorpio, thanks for the tips. trust me I'm not a nervous rider at all, I've had this boy for over 2 years and I know him like the back of my hand and couldn't be less worried about a horse. he's a quiet lovely boy and I trust him even when he's being a nutter. I just know his character, I know every trick he'll pull out of the bag.

I just wanted to see what everyone would do with a situation like mine where he hasn't been worked and is guaranteed to be a right turd for the time it takes to drain the pent up energy.

8. TBPA

TBPA Well-known Member

My routine:

Catch horse, take to tie upsaddle up.
    Take horse to round yard.
    Lunge horse in round yard, this involves lots of transitions walk trot and canter plus changes of direction.
    Once I have nice transitions and a good free walk I hop on.
    Walk trot canter in the round yard both directions.
    Feel happy get helper (I always have a helper when first riding an unknown horse) to open gate head to arena.
    On the arena I walk trot canter but no that long. The horse is unfit and has quite an amount of work at this stage.
    Take horse back to tie up unsaddle hose horse and put it away.

I follow this routine for at least the first three days bringing an unknown horse into work gradually decreasing the lunging and round yard time until I jump straight on on the arena. From there I start venturing gradually further and further away (on rides).

I have bought countless horses back into work this way and my routine has never failed me. From a couple of months spell to many years off you will never see me riding a horse that is not well fed. Horses I know well I probably lunge less but its always good to give them a feel of the saddle and a warm up before jumping back into work.

9. dopeyqh

dopeyqh Active Member

thanks TBPA :) bumping up before the weekend

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

threaten to send him back west if he doesn't behave himself lol.

seriously i am a fan of the seven horseman games for letting him know that he has to go where you want him when you want him.

enjoy the break from study :)

11. Tallarook

That is excellent your not nervous of him, then give him some hard work. Stockwork, some good hard bush work, a good gallop to open him up.

Good luck with it all..............:)*

12. I would lead him off another horse , out and about , down near the railway line , over near the highway , other horses etc .

3mths off ? Lush green grass ? He's going to be soft . To much gymnastics , as in lungeing , too much riding , too soon , will make him stiff and sore . May even create rubbing . You want to avoid that if you can . :))

13. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Id make sure the groundwork is well and truely established first.....make sure you have each hoof moving where and when you want it to, and that it is all working properly.

Then -Just ride him.

Forward forward forward forward.

Make him sweat everytime - if he wants to go forward, dont hold him back. Dont ask for much, Ride quietly, and in a focused manner.

If he is scatter brained, just calmy redirect, redirect redirect.

You need to think as though you create a solid brick wall either side of where you want to be, and ride through that. In the middle is dead calm, forward flowing perfection. When he is in the middle, do ask or tell, just let him be (of course unless he is has stopped or is going backwards..)

Either side - is brick wall. Ride him down a 'breezeway' in you mind.

After the first day, he will be much more humble :)

And - yep, off the good feed for a week before hand.

To tell you the truth - if he is showing his frickiness in the paddock, then he is most likely a heck of alot fitter than you think ;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  14. Horse girl

Horse girl New Member

i had the same problem with my girl, i cut her off the oaten hay coz it was heating her blood up, put her on yeast and made sure i lunged her for the first day and then lunged her the second with saddle then jumped on after lunging her abit. she needed to be worked for atleast 20min coz was to full of beans, i kept a whip on me and when she reared when we walked back to paddock i hit he on shoulder once and she neva did it again, or i put the whip in front if she was trying to drag me along. when i gave her a day off i would just bring her up for a walk. shes been back in work 6 months now and been the best horse since.

15. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Change the diet to BASIC, spend 10 - 20 mins a day doing loads of ground work, get him listening, and finish on a good note. Keep it at walk even but just get him using his mind :) and keep it simple building up over time. Young horses get bored quickly so I wouldn't do more than 20 mins a day. It will take time and patience.

16. Opal

Opal New Member

I would simply work the horse on the lunge until it's tired then get on! People need to not be afraid of making a horse work until it's sweaty, blowing and tired. You will soon find those naughty traits dissapear once they have had some work. Of course take off or restrict rich grass.

17. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Problem with that though is the horse gets fitter & fitter...you'll find you're lunging longer to wear him out & the problem is still there ...better to fix it by getting his brain involved - if a horse wants to he'll run all day...

18. Opal

Opal New Member

I mean lunge the horse initially over 3-4 days, not lunging for long enough for a horse to get fit, that would take 2-4 weeks. Although each horse can be different, I was always able to get rid of that excess energy on the lunge if my mare had some days off and eaten too much grass, but there may be horses out there, such as some Thoroughbreds who would get more excited and energized the more you tried to work it out. I was going to ask dopeyqh what breed is the horse, but given your name assuming it is a Quater Horse? Not true to your name?! Let's not forget dopeyqh was saying the horse had been on rich grass and not being worked which implied this is what would cause the naughty issues, so that is talking about a case of the horses intake of energy being in excess. So how do you restore the balance of energy and work? Ensure the horse is getting more work than intake of energy.