What type of girth do you use?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Cheeki, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

As the title says, what girth do you use and why?
    Looking specifically for a dressage saddle, but opening the discussion up to all girths for all types of saddles, in case it can help someone else out :)

What do you love? What do you hate? Why? How did your horse respond?

Any info would be fabulous! :D

2. ShowjumpKid4Eva

ShowjumpKid4Eva Well-known Member

I used to have a pressure eze girth, and loved it... but it was one of the ones they recalled. I was not impressed, but didn't want to take the risk.

I now have two Wintec anti-gall girths. The one on my dressage saddle drives me nuts because the buckles are a bit rusty, so they don't roll smoothly. The one on my jumping saddle, I love. I've never had any issues with rubbing or girth galls, even when my boy is clipped (and his shoulders get rubbed to billio by his rugs when he's clipped!).

I want to go back to having elastic girths... Wintec "elastic" is not elastic AT ALL, I find, so I've been considering getting another pressure-eze... and perhaps saving up and getting a really nice elastic stud girth for my jumping saddle, even though he's not shod. I just like the look!

3. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I think I have one of those Wintec anti-gall girths? Wait. It's not Wintec cos I got it from the UK :p It's pretty much like a Wintec one but didn't cost half a zillion dollars *#)

4. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I have a Wintec Pro Chafeless girth for GK's dressage saddle. I like it on him as it fits him well, seems to be comfy for him (he has never had any problems with it), is nice and sturdy and is also easy to clean.

His jump girth is similar... It's just longer.

Bo has a CAIR girth on his saddle (he only has a dressage saddle). It came with the saddle. I haven't noticed a difference in how he goes with or without the CAIR. I have used GK's on him to test.

Neither have become girthy from using each other's girths and it hasn't affected their movement.

I think as long as the girth fits your horse properly, a girth is a girth.

5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I dont understand - all you had to do was take the girth back and they would replace it with the new ones?

I have 3 Pressure-eze and would never go back to using anything else.

6. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I'm with you Nannygoat. I had a pressure eze that got recalled, so took it back and got a new one. I love them, they help stabilise the saddle if your horse is a bit rolly, and I would not change unless a need arose.**)

7. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I have 3 pressure ease girths too **)

But .... I'm looking at trying something different for one of mine. Her saddles always push forward thanks to the way she's confromed (she has a narrow and forward girth groove) so I'm looking at trying either the Jaguar banana girth or the one that Passier do that is designed for saddles that push forward. It's shaped and has well set back back to try and stop the girth pulling the saddle forward.

8. Anna E

Anna E Guest

A brown one...;)

9. foxleigh stud

foxleigh stud Active Member

Pressure-eze is all I have now after my previous horse was a bit girthy I got one and haven't looked back - use one for dressage and jumping God I must have about 5 now - my husband says I am a collector ';'

10. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

I tend to use my pressure eze girths 99% of the time as i think my horses like them better.

If i cant get my pressure eze to fit then i just use a straight wintec antigall girth.

11. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

I had a pressure eze which Bess loved, but gave Luck girth galls? ';'

I now just use the elastic wintec one on him..

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I have a leather pressure eze girth girth and hate it.

I find you have to do it up even on both sides or it pulls my saddle to the side as the girth sets in place and doesn't move! (my saddle is also fitted) and I find them very bulky and just not very snug. In fact he became girthy since I got this girth and has been using this saddle all along.

I can't wait to get a new set up (don't want the saddle for other reasons) and back to a normal girth of which there is no difference to the way he works.

13. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I use a Wintec Cair girth on my dressage saddle. Was recommended to me after TJ started getting sore pec muscles and was becoming very girthy. I like it and don't find too bulky. Easy to do up and keeps my saddle in place without being having to be overly tight.

For jumping I use a sheep skin material girth with elastic on both sides. Its comfortable. Doesn't irritate TJ's pec muscles and best of all I can throw the whole thing in the washing machine :)* I've had this girth for well over 10 years and its still going strong. :))

14. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

I have a Kentaur Geneva girth with removable sheepskin :)

[​IMG]

15. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Used to have tubular style Wintec anti-gall (without that rigid seam along each side), weren't too bad.

Bought a pressure eze as thought it would distribute weight better. Not only did it badly gall my horse if I rode more than an hour, the hard seams along the sides cracked, and rubbed holes in my horse. Lucksta, if it galled your horse there goes my theory that it rubbed because he is wide, or that he had pink skin.

Changed to a handmade mohair girth after trying one, which I could use over a developing gall without problems, and horse was suddenly able to take big strides, and didn't try to sidle away and make stressed faces during saddling as he always had with pressure-eze. Sold.

Looking at sheepskin girth with elasticated points on recommendation, but not sure I need to change.

16. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Peter Horobin BSE Dressage Girth- suuuuch lovely leather :)* And I got it on sale from $230 down to $130 :p
    [​IMG]

17. Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon Well-known Member

I'm in need of a better "shaped" girth, as my guy has grown increasingly narky with his...

I'm checking out the Mattes range **) Friend of mine has one, and raves about it! Not exceedingly cheap, but it looks and feels great and I think will be worth the few extra $$ - has removable/washable sheepskin too :)*

18. magic_impact

magic_impact Well-known Member

I have just been given a pressure-eze shaped girth like this.

[​IMG]

I assume the narrower bulge side (top of photo with the ring) goes towards his front legs and the wider bulged side (bottom of photo) goes towards the back end, can anyone confirm for me?

19. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Yes, you are correct Magic Impact **)

The front ring is used to connect martingales to etc.

(However, you might want to wait for confirmation from others, given my 'riser' issues! rofl)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  20. zendor

zendor Well-known Member

I have about 3 pressure Eze dressage girths. I like them as they fit well,look good and are easy to clean. Also have a leather pessoa which I bought on sale as I just couldn't leave it in the shop :eek: it's lovely but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I have a range of girths for jumping, most used are my kentaur stud girths I have 2 -1 plain girth and 1 with removable leather and sheepskin. Again I love them, they fit well, wear well and clean up really nicely! ;)

I have been looking into the Mattes range also, Looks amazing but some of it is certainly $$