what to feed an underweight horse

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Bandino, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Bandino

Bandino New Member

hi everyone,
    what is the best weight gainer for a athletic 17yr old thoroughbred?
  2. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I feed many small feeds, sometimes up to 6 a day.

I had a very skinny one here a while ago for SC rescue and just started out with small hard feeds, then introduced good hay and away we went. It took me a few months and she improved out of sight.

Unfortunately you have a TB and he is 17yrs old, which is going to take more time than a pony. I would make sure his teeth are done, feet are in good order and worming has been thorough and done regularly. If all done you should see improvement in a few weeks.

I would feed lots of chaff, some sort of pellets, you could use grain like lupins etc and hay hay hay.
  3. fishiz3434

fishiz3434 Active Member

Hay, but if you want to hard feed too there are loads of feeds but you really have to do what works for you and him.
    1) Cheap- I boil barley or soak whole lupins because it is the most cost effective and i only feed once every two days.

2) Kinda Cheap-There is also Gumnuts or NutriRice Veteran or Liberty which work a treat, If i don't have time i use them instead, with a cup of oil.

3) Expensive-Omega Feeds Weightgain and equijewel work well too and you don't need a lot of it but it's costly, I prefer the Omega but i know a lot of people like the Equijewel better.

I'd do a big health check too, worm, drench and get teath done so you can give him the best chance of utilizing the feed your giving.
  4. Bandino

Bandino New Member

at the moment he is getting fed chaff, lucern, pellets, bran, copra and sweet bulk twice a day with hay aswell he is also getting worked everyday
  5. Jaana

Jaana Well-known Member

Take out the bran, and sweet bulk - give nothing to the horse at all.
    What pellets? and what amounts.
    Hay hay hay and more hay is the absolute best.

A good vit/min supp is also important to help weight gain.
    Rice Brain is really good as is oil.
    Speedibeet is a great high fibre feed that helps with weight gain as well.
  6. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

Try yeasac, gumnuts , soaked lupins., lucerne chaff, lots of hay and also there is a new feed hygain tru care which i am trialling on my horse at the moment , the feeds above is what i used when i bought my under weight standy :) hope it works :)
  7. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

Speedi beet also helps ALOT :)
  8. Neighlands

Neighlands Well-known Member

The 6 feeds is good - tis what I used on my hatrack TB - ( before and after pics in my bitting thread problem horses)

I used Speedibeet/Fibrebeet/Gumnuts/Lucerne Chaff/ Flaked Barley and shedloads of hay, ad lib, 24/7
    I now use Maxisoy on the oldies along with Gumnuts and I am very pleased with the results.
  9. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

ok....Fibrebeet is Speedibeet plus lucerne and the main ingredient of Gumnuts is Barley...so in the above example you really are feeding a lot of the same things in different forms. Gumnuts is also a complete feed specifically designed for oldies. Sorry Desmo, but what a waste of $$. I hear and see people all the time listing off what their horse gets and a lot of the time they are feeding the same thing in different forms. I like all of the above for weight gain, just cant see the point in buying different forms of the same thing and feeding them all at once**)
  10. sprintman

sprintman Active Member

Fibre Beet (Speedi Beet on steroids), Equijewel
  11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had a horse come to me, badly under weight and was pooing black tar. She's a 15 year old Thoroughbred.

She was given hay in rations numerous times a day as well as a very small hard feed up to 6 times a day. Over time I increased her hay and reduced how many times a day she was hard fed but increased how much she got each feed.

Eventialy she was put on a hay roll and once she had some good weight about her I actually withdrew her from hard feed all together. The last few months she's lived on a hay roll only and is in excellent paddock condition.

Not to mention I had her teeth done within the fortnight of her coming here.

In her feed I fed her barley and lupins and lucerne chaff. I don't over do the hard feeds, just very simple.

She's now back on a hard feed purely because we lost her paddock buddy the other week and she's been moved closer to the house and so can see my other two being fed (one gets ridden and one is young / growing) and I hate hard feeding them infront of her so she's on Barley, FFS and Lucerne Chaff (only a handful), again a very easy feed and she looks great. I don't like packing feeds with everything under the sun.

But the main feed I focus on is hay in take, my horses are on hay rolls 24/7, hard feeding is extra.
  12. Neighlands

Neighlands Well-known Member

Yes I know Fibrebeet contains Lucerne - a reason I was feeding it. When I am feeding a very underweight animal lots of small feeds I prefer some variety to taste but with the same properties for weight gain and palatability and the ability to make it easy to eat with soaking.
    I tend not to buy crap feed nor expensive mixes.
  13. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Desmo, I'm a bit the same. I double-up on somethings, it makes me feel better :p I don't see the difference between doubling up on an ingredient in two different feeds or doubling the amount of the same ingredient....same/same :D
  14. The best thing I found for my Anglo Arab was nutririce veteran. Before switching to the Nutririce I found that upping his lucerne and copra worked well but worked out very expensive, the amount I was feeding had me going through a bag of each feed every week plus loads of hay.

I totally cut out copra, and added the Veteran - though copra is also a good feed for weight gain as it is high in fats and protein. It does lack an important omega 3 (lysine I think it was?) and as a "cool" feed the digestible energy is relatively low so you have to feed heaps to get the results.

On the Nutririce suddenly his coat was much nicer and his weight much more consistent, though he'll still drop 20kg overnight if it drops below 20*C and I've left him naked.

Monty's 16 and not a terrible doer but not terrific either. He could be a lot cheaper to feed but then again with his TB blood he could also be a lot more expensive.
  15. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

Lysine is an amino acid ;) and can be added easily with the addition of 2 cups of full fat soya bean meal.
  16. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

It does matter when people arent working out how much of things they are feeding and what the horse needs and/or is lacking. Better to have a balanced diet. Sort of like feeding a human chips, roast potato and mash;)