What to do...?

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Shandeh, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

that comment is so sad :(, i dont know about others but for me, my ribbons and my scores tell me where i am as a rider they tell me if i have progressed and what i need to work on.

I am quite proud to earn my little ribbons they show i have been working hard at getting myself up to hopefully the standard i need to be to ride Billy.

The judges who awarded me those ribbons also had feedback which is valuable in future work we do.

I hate hearing repeatedly how i lean forward or dont have heels down, but if no-one told me how can i try to correct it.

2. Crafty

Crafty Well-known Member

Thats it I am no longer going to read this thread I for one feel like banging head against brick wall!

Whatever you decide Shandeh good luck that is a lovely horse you have there treasure him.

3. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

I can't believe what I'm reading. As I said before I do not know the original poster nor the horse but all I can say that her posts have been approriate and respectfull but the responses are not !! Totally not cool at all.

I did watch the video and she isn't that bad for a teenage rider. It is very hard to judge the horses movement or the rider by watching a short poor quality ( sorry ) video clip like that.

I have two horses, the other one has a nice smooth trot, you are welcome to come and ride one time if you like.

4. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

A good instructor doesnt just get on a horse and ride it, mine never has. She knows my riding ability as she has taught me from the very beginning, She knows my horse, not from riding him but seeing how others ride him, it is because of her that I actually was lucky enough to buy him.

If I was you I would take up the offer from EC, get on a train and get up to perth and ride her horse and see if your riding is as good as you think. Seriously I had a standie, whos trot was massive and I have a video to prove but sadly he was too aggressive and had to be put down. RIP. I just watched the video and its looks like your leaning forward waiting for him to push your forward and up. get rid of the stirrups put loose side reins on and do long straight lines like a massive sepertine.

I agree 150%

5. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

oh and if you are going to sell him, drop me a pm i would love to take him on.

6. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

I like to think that being able to hop on any horse and adjust to its way of working is a good judge of how well you ride.

As a correct rider you should be able to get on almost any horse and have it going decently by means of reading the horse and adjusting to suit its way of going, mindset, responsiveness etc

Think of the way a horse progresses through its training, its way of going will change and you must adjust the way you ride to accommodate this in order to get the most out of the horse.

If Latte throws you off balance accept that at THIS stage you must accommodate him until he is balanced. YOU must rise lower to not off balance him, keep your hands quiet to not off balance him, sit with legs under you to not off balance him...if you get in his way he will have trouble improving at all.

There is no shame in admitting that you are not riding HIM the way he needs to be ridden as it means you simply havent had the experience of dealing with how he goes.

Please look at the problems you have with his work and work out how you can minimize them happening- Its a part of riding...if its a part of his way of going then you need to figure out whether you want to work with them or not as some things you cant change and as a stb there are a lot of things he may struggle with.

7. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

EC.
    OMG you are such a generous person. What an amazing offer.

We are coming to Perth and I would certainly be willing to go out of my way to give Shandeh such an amazing opportunity however I would understand if you had reconsidered after her ill considered response re your ribbons.

But perhaps it might be best to leave it until we have a chance to get Shandeh out of this downward spiral she is on atm.

Poor kid is in a hell of a hole right now.

You know she has been offered some amazing support by people here.
    E4E it would be fabulous to have you ride Latte and see what he does for you. To see if there is something that we need to do with the saddle to help out as well as working toward getting the lessons.

The difficulty of the hole that Shandeh is in right now is that sometimes she cant see the amazing opportunities and focusses on only one tiny thing that causes her upset.

Some wonderful advice and support here.
    Thank you so much.

Oh and yes the quality of the video leaves rather a lot to be desired lol. El cheapo camera but all that we have. Also I think we need to re think the gear she is wearing. Loose tshirts and poor cameras dont help you see where her back is.

8. Blackbat

Blackbat Well-known Member

Hmmmmmmm, this boulder must have rolled back down the hill well below sea level by now.

I get sad seeing a horse being blamed for being itself, by someone who craves acceptance but can't accept the blessing of a kind horse, kind help from caring people, and all wants and needs catered for, in order to so determindly self sabotage their own happiness and fulfilment. Such a pointless dark exercise.

Shall we stop struggling and let things be found out the long and hard way? Hopefully without sacrificing a horse along the way to learning how to choose acceptance OR actively persue change?

Horses never lie. Peace be with you Latte the Matyr Of Truth.

9. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Shandeh - wonderful people have given you chances for a life time, that'd I'd happily travel 2 or 3 hours to get! If you do get serious about selling Latte .. drop me a pm. I'd be very keen.

That horse is a saint. He really is so kind at taking the blame. As BB said - a horse never lies. Don't blame the saddle/horse/weather/mood - it is you. If you have up and down moods - don't go near the horse on a down mood. Horse doesn't understand that you're having a bad day/life is out to get you .. and as riders, we accept the responsibility to better ourselves for our horses. We take on the fact that they need their saddle fitted/teeth done/what ever, every 6 weeks - 6 months, what ever it takes. We know that there will always be bills, always be care needed, always be money being sucked from our accounts.. but we do it because we love it. We don't make excuses, we don't hide from the truth, and we don't blame the horse. We do it because our best mate is standing outside relying on us for support.

You have taken the first steps in acknowledging what you need to do to improve - good! Lessons lessons lessons.. can't afford? Get a job. Can't get a job? Trade labor for lessons. Can't do that - make it happen! If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. I don't like being shouted at, but it's part of my job - at the end of the day, they're buying my horses dinner.

I watched most of the video .. to me, normal trot (plus what smash said - but wont repeat her, she's a genius!! * @) *). Not that I'd normally do this, and I might be talking into deaf ears .. but, want to feel a deep trot that covers a lot of ground? Come take a spin on Jed. Okay, he's not grand prix dressage horse [no ribbons ;) ] that has all the buttons, and he's not the best built horse .. but it may put a 'large' trot in perspective for you. If you're keen - pm me. It's a huge trot, and he's also a saint that is very forgiving.. You're also welcome to have a go on my old girl, to compare trots.. I encourage people who believe they have something to prove to ride her, or those who think they can handle any horse .. she doesn't take cr@p. She'll sort ya out quick smart and will let you know where you are with your riding..
    Just another offer - it's good to get out and ride lots of different horses .. you might find Lattes trot isn't as big as you think.

You've been offered some AMAZING offers that I'd happily fork out travel for 2-3 hour drive to ride the horses offered in this thread .. stockies have been very generous.

Lessons.. make it happen. If you want to improve yourself like you keep saying, you'll pull your finger out and find a way.
    I've done it tough, I saved up, I learned, I asked questions, I got lessons - I prepared myself as much as possible before owning a horse. Now I own a couple, I'm still saving up, learning, asking questions, and (once I'm riding again and the horse is fit) getting lessons. I don't make excuses, I find answers.

10. smash

smash Well-known Member

ahhh this thread is just such a shame.
    shandeh, anyone would have difficulty riding latte as he is on the forehand, hind quarters are out the back, hollow through the back, lacks and type of body bend, lacks and kind of knowledge of body suppling. this sadly reflects on your training/riding ability.
    latte has a below average trot, so it is far from "huge", your position of ALWAYS being behind the movement makes it impossible for latte to work properly, it is your riding that is making him run on the forehand.
    latte is a beautiful horse, but it is your RIDING that is letting HIM DOWN, it is your ATTITUDE that is letting HIM DOWN.

you are not a bad rider, but you are a ineffective rider with a really bad bad bad attitude.
    right at this moment shandeh, you are a below than average rider, you "could" be so much better, but your attitude will always be stopping you, which is really sad.
    YOU only have to prove to LATTE of your ability to ride, but you are sadly letting LATTE DOWN by assuming that you have to prove to us that you can actually ride.
    shandeh, you could really learn something about SELF ASSESSING, we all have to do it, every day, for the rest of our lives. if we see something that we dont like about ourselves, we work hard at changing it, whether it be our riding or our attitude. this is your BIGGEST downfall, the inability to self assessed.

SM, it really saddens me that you enable shandehs problems.
    a tighter fitting shirt, a better quality video or a better cameraman will not make any difference to shandah riding ability or make us see things any differently, i am TOTALLY OFFENDED that you think we are all morons and need a better fitting shirt, a better quality video and a professional cameraman to be able to help shandeh self assess.

i would be selling ALL THE HORSES and using that money to get shandehs problems correctly addressed and get her the help she so desperately needs to enable her to cope and have a happy and healthy life.
    then once shandeh is better, she will have a chance of succeeding with her riding dreams.

this is a very very sad sad thread for horse, rider and mother.

ETA: EC & E4E, please do NOT let shandeh ride your horse for the mere sake of "proving" anything. if anything should happen to shandah (falls off and gets hurt or killed) you will be hauled off to court and this thread used against you. if shandeh fell off and weeman or mocha were hurt, you would NEVER forgive yourself for encouraging/goading this situation. your EFA insurance will not cover this situation at all. you know i luv ya both, so this is just a bit of "nanna" advice or something for you both to think about and consider.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  11. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Hey I called dibs;) ;)

12. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Latte is beautiful, what a good boy.

I hope you are able to get your mental issues address Shandeh as until you do that you wont be able to hear or take on board all the wonderful advice here.

Your riding and Latte are not the issue, it is your mental state. Said with the utmost of respect :)

SM, are you not able to 'ban' the comupter from being used at these times as Im fairly certain it wont be helping Shandeh's state of mind at all?

13. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Gold - and they deleted MY post!!

14. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Missed it-have you been a naughty nannygoat:))

15. erilyn

erilyn Well-known Member

Geez - being reasonably new to Stockies, I seem to have missed all the fun.

Nannygoat, what have you been up to? What did you do to get a post deleted? Cough up - so I know not to do it!!!!';'

16. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

Nanny Goat you are never naughty!!! I always envisage you as the earth mother archetype for some reason, must be the goats I think. I love reading your posts because they always make sense. What you said was true however. You are a wise person. Maybe we all need to stop enabling.

17. Eventer4Ever

Eventer4Ever Well-known Member

*Like*

I agree Smash. And after considerable thought, we have taken back our offer for Shandeh to ride Mocha, not because he is dangerous, but because he is a horse. And you never know how they'll react.

We have however offered instead for Shandeh to come and watch one of my lessons with Peggy, many of the excercises there would help her and Latte immensely too :)
    And she'll be able to laugh at how much I get the sh** ripped out of me by my instructor ahhahahah

18. couldnt agree more....

im sick of your attitude towards everyone.. They care about Latte and only want the best for him..
    TBH he does not have a big trot at all. as soon as you fix your position... you will be able to rise to it alot better.

19. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

What Smash said.

Shandeh, i have followed your threads but not commented as i wanted to see a video to get an idea of what was happening first.

My mare used to have a terrible trot and while her canter was good at times, she was often on the forehand. In 3 months of lessons with a new instructor- she is a different horse. She is a different horse because i am a different rider.

I posted a thread a few days ago in this forum- 1 year on, my 20 year old mare or something. Have a look at the difference in there. I believe in the first photos i had a bit of an arm chair position too but my position has improved in the later photos.

Video and photos SHOULD be critiqued- i believe they can help you improve so much in between lessons but ONLY if you're willing to acknowledge there are issues there. I take regular videos on my camera phone and have fixed many little problems between lessons by doing so.

My most recent one showed a right arm doing crazy circles in canter- and i never would have realised without the video. From the video i could also work out why that was happening and fix it.

Use videos to help you- not to try to justify every mistake. Everyone has things they must work on- not just you!!!

20. Gaia

Gaia Gold Member

Thanks PetaBizz **) I don't much care anymore tho. I know how he was at my place, what I did, and how he was sold and what was told to them. I am comfortable with all of that.

I too have a video of Latte from his 2nd or 3rd ride after I started him. He SHOULD look more unbalanced but he doesn't? Yes, he probably wasn't as forward as he had just been started. He was pretty much a week OTT. If my computer wasn't so crap I would try and load it, but then, not sure if I care ';'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.