What to do with unwanted horse gear?

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by JustJam, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I was clearing out the 'spare-room' (not sure why it's called the 'spare-room' cos' there's certainly isn't any spare room!) and realised I just have way, way too much 'stuff' for just one horse! :eek:

I have a few rugs that have a small hole in them that I can't be bothered fixing but other than that the majority are in good nick (fleece, cottons, shells etc). I have heaps of saddle pads (17 actually :rolleyes:), tail-bags (some still in the original packets!), brushes, a brand-new 'plastic' bridle I was going to use for beach trips (used my good one instead lol) blah, blah, blah :blink:

I don't want to go to the trouble of selling it but it really is all too 'good' just to chuck out. What can I do with it? Are there any charity organisations that would be interested in taking it?

2. rusty99

rusty99 Guest

I would love to know as well Justjam!

I have a brand new container of Cell grow (not opened) that I don?t need as I never ended up buying a horse. I also have a bag of garlic granules, Himalayan salt lick and two winter rugs ? untouched!!

Would the horse charities take them? :)

3. TobanMokey736

TobanMokey736 Well-known Member

If you wanted to, you could donate them to the Tobanmokey 'needs' more saddleblankets charity. I would of course make a financial contribution toward the aquisition/upkeep of said donations.... :) :lol:

4. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

What about 2nd chance?

5. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

My husband is a saddle hoarder, one arse one horse- 8 saddles. I can't say that the gear is unwanted (by him) but the massive saddle rack that he made makes me:rolleyes:every time I walk past.
    The kicker is the only saddle that gets used is the ancient Syd Hill.
    Thank goodness he never got into horse boots otherwise I would have a rack of them as well.

6. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

Yes the Jemima charity is calling for donations currently too :)

On second thoughts I am a gear hoarder as well, two horses, enough gear for twenty.

7. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

I just donated a bunch of gear to the RDA :)*

8. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

I was gonna suggest RDA, or the Serendipity Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to my bank account ;)

9. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I got put off donating items to 2nd Chance when I noticed them selling the goods :( I'm maybe naive in thinking they'd store the items to use as required, or distribute to needy ponies/horses ';'

If you wanted to offload all the stuff in one lot-job, perhaps Stampede Sales and ask them to send any profit to a charity?

10. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

Maybe we need to get together and have a Stockies Swap Meet!! Kills so many birds with one stone;

*get rid of what you don't want
    *make money to put towards horse stuff you 'need'
    *find a bargain
    *socialize with other stockies

:)

11. Little Bean

Little Bean Well-known Member

I'm with PWF! **)**)

I too have "items" I have them advertised here and there and things go every so often but it would be nice to get to together and make a day of it :D

12. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

And cupcakes...lot's of cupcakes :)

13. La Dolce Vita

La Dolce Vita Active Member

Swapmeet fer sher! What a great idea!

Mmmm ... cupcakes ... drooool :)

14. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Can I have a stall to sell my 2nd hand books????

Car boot sale - sounds great!!!

15. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

Actually, an idea I had a while ago was to organise a street garage sale where everyone in our street had a stall out the front of their property to sell horse gear, or whatever. Not sure if the council would like that though.

16. Little Bean

I reckon! :D In fact I don't see why you couldn't sell anything you want. I know I have some camping gear we don't use anymore.

I suppose if we're going to do it we'd either need to do it at someones house or at a clubs grounds in which case they would probably want some kind of donation... suggestions?

17. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

o decideon a weekend and go to maddington swap meet $10 a bay goes to the rotary club

18. MissDQ

MissDQ New Member

Ooh, what a great idea ! I have a heap of stuff I want to get rid of since I no longer have a horse and desperately need the money but it's not budging :unsure: I'd love to take it somewhere where people can actually see it and say 'yes, I will take it right now' not 'oh, but I don't get paid for two weeks and my unicorn needs a heart transplant. Contact me in May 2034 if you still have it' :dry:

There is a second hand saddlery in NSW we used to take stuff to and they would sell it for you, take a small commission and give you the rest. We've had stuff sit there for ages then get a random phone call to say that we've got money waiting to be collected !

19. Little Bean

How often do they have these and do they get many horse folk? Not worth making the drive if you're not getting the right target market?

20. realalvin

realalvin New Member

why not donate them? then get a brand new one? I donated my ex bucas. And my friend gave me a harrison howard, quite nice. LOUD COLOUR!and not WAY expensive.