What the ???

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by The Old Grey Mare, Jul 22, 2003.

1. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

i have printed out forms for the PA/APHA Pre Royal show @ the end of August & it comes with info re Marsh insured clubs.

as i am in the APHA i am covered for the show, but as I might also show my mare in the QH classes, the AQHA/WAQHA are not covered by Marsh insurance so it states that I would have to pay the $20 day insurance cover fee. I just rang the contact number to check this out & was told there is no need to pay the $20 as i am a member of a Marsh insured club as per their listing.

but what happens if something happens in the Q/H ring? will my APHA insurance cover a Q/H disaster?
    my mare is the same horse in either ring, just 2 different regs.

this insurance stuff is out of control !!!!!!!!

2. sjb

sjb New Member

Hi OGM - I don't know very much about this specific kind of insurance, but I do work with lots of other insurances every day and I couldn't agree more. It is my observation that insurance companies are not interested in taking ANY risk any more - which makes a mockery of the whole concept!!
    I can only respectfully suggest that you get something in writing to confirm your telephone call ... I don't think you can be too careful with these things.

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I've noticed the Insurance price has gone up...why is this?...

~§Arnie§~

4. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

the other thing was the $20 day temp insurance cover
    $6 goes to the club running the show the other $14 goes to the EFA. i don't understand why i should pay the EFA any money as I only show in breed events.

5. Denny

Denny Well-known Member

Insurance......... Ekkk

The $14.00 paid to the EFA is to cover the cost of the Insurance Policy for the club on that day. The EFA are charged by Marsh for this.

The simple solution to this problem for everyone involved in horses to become an associate member of the EFA for $95.00 per year.

This covers you for any equestrian activity whether a spectator or competitor ( basically doing anything involved with the GG"S) 24/7 anywhere in Australia. You also get a copy of Collections magazine which comes out about 3 to 4 times a year.

6. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

I would check out the insurance companies policy if possible because if your horse is kicked by another horse in the ring or some other disaster it is not covered.

7. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

I am a member of the EFA almost purely for insurance reasons as i rarely compete these days! im not a full member but i am covered by them for personal injury & 3rd party. but i dont think this covers any injury to my horse unless it is reg. with EFA too...
    Insurance is way over my head! i have had it explained to me a billion times and it still doesnt make sense to me! lol, same with GST!!

8. taylor

taylor Well-known Member

sassy - you're not the only one!!!!

i have no idea about this insurance thing, I read thru all the stuff and get to the end and think "yep, whatever" and still don't know what they're talking about!

and then some shows you're ok, and others you're not, and it's all too hard!

p.

9. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I am thinking of joining a the EFA as an associate member for the insurance aspect but does anyone know when the best time to join is,ie;do new subscriptions have to be done at a certain time of the year??? thanks for any info

Ali

10. Mouse

Mouse Well-known Member

Ali

The subscriptions for the EFA are due on 31 January each year and an associate member is $90 regardless of what time of the year that you join up.

Mel

11. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Hi Mel, I don't mean to sound dumb (but often am!) but does that mean that if I join now I'll have to renew again in Jan for another $90 or does it run 12 months from when you join????

Ali

12. Shakhaan

Shakhaan Well-known Member

Don't know how late I am with this, but this year (2004) membership with the EFAWA now runs in conjunction with the financial year, with memberships being renewed by 31st July. It is now $155 for Associate membership, regardless of when you join. They used to have a half-membership if you joined up after the halfway point during the year, but not sure if that's still the case. It is pretty much mandatory to have this membership if you want to go to any gymkhana's, unofficial or not.

Then you get hit by the breed society's for the same cover when you compete at their shows.... nothing like insurance companies forcing us to pay double!!