What the heck is going on? (long) Updated

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Cornflower, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Hey Cornflower...just read your updates....when was he last wormed and with what?
    Has he been drenched recently? sorry I cant remember if I read he had been

2. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yes to both. In Nov. Don't know with what, the vet put a wormer into the drench.

3. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Did you notice the weird coat blemishes after that or before?

4. Cornflower

They've been around for years. I gave him a bath today, and just noticed a few more of them than usual.

5. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

oh ok.....not some reaction to bites etc? I did think of ringworm, but your wormer would have covered ringworm for sure;)

6. Lacey

Lacey Well-known Member

completely of topic but Babe - how would a wormer control ringworm?? Its not a worm but a fungal infection. BTW cornflower it doesnt look like ring worm either.

7. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

I didn't think they looked like ringworm either, more like fur missing from maybe small cuts you may not have seen until the fur came out. The fur may even grow back white as well. It is hard to tell from a photo. My girl also has marks like this but it is from teeth marks when my boy bites her or bug bites, she has a big one from a tick bite.

8. Cornflower

I dunno about bugs. He's rugged all the time because he's very sensitive to flies. He has only had a flag rug on, so maybe they can bite through it.
    I've never seen a tick on him.

All his more serious scars have healed and hair has grown over them. He hasn't got any actual scars from fights. They've all healed.

Plus the ones behind his wither and behind the elbow were not there. Today was the first time i noticed them.

They aren't sore or itchy, and he doesn't react when i touch or poke them. Just especially in the 1st photo, you can see the hair around it looks a bit different to the rest of his coat.

9. Double Helix

Double Helix Well-known Member

They could just be sweat lumps ... are they hard little nodes? Some horses with sensitive skin are prone to these, a bit like acne. My senisitve skinned TB would particularly get them around his saddle area from sweating, but he would also get a few under his rug if it was hot.

The vet suggested an ivermectin wormer once a week for 2-3 weeks in a row. This did clear it up a bit but because he was in work they came back so he had a cortisone injection which cleared them up and he has been fine since, just the odd one every now and then.

10. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

I think some horses on sunflower seeds or high oil diet can get them. A bit like acne...a build up of oil perhaps.

My only other thought was oncaserca (sp?), but worming with an ivernmectin based wormer would knock it on the head.

I was wondering if you could post pics of your boy in his current condition and also those first pics, just to do a comparison.

Its a bit baffling aye?

Deb

11. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Was a wild idea Lacey...dont worry, Im back in my box now..thankyou*#)

12. Cornflower

DH, nope, nothing hard about them. They are not sweat lumps. Just hair missing.

Deb, he has never been on a high oil diet or sunflower seeds, and he's had these things for years.
    I have however started him on oil a few weeks ago. And there are sunflower seeds in his muslie-type feed. But not that many.
    And there's nothing coming out of the hairless areas, they're not acne type pimples.
    I don't have any current pics. All i have is my mobile phone. I'll see how i go today.

But to me, he doesn't look a whole lot different. Just not such a huge pot belly, and not so sunken in. But he's still back sore, still twitches when you touch around the girth area.

13. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

Just in relation to something mentioned earlier in the thread;

GOOD quality oaten hay should not contain any grain **) the idea is that the hay is cut before it puts energy into the seed head, and theirfore is a nutritious roughage :)

14. Cornflower

Well, more bad news. He is now very sore after his trim. He had developed a large crack in both fronts, although 1 was definitly worse than the other. He is very sore all round, and especially sore on that 1 front. But he is also sore behind, which he never really was.
    I'm about at my wits end. I have to move him by next weekend, and still haven't really found somewhere. Now he's sore as hell again... I'm just... over it to be honest :(

15. Debonair

Debonair Well-known Member

aww, hugs!
    did you move him ok? did warwick have any ideas? looking forward to seeing his sores... be interesting to see if anything like chips.

16. Cornflower

Ok, update!

So here are a couple of pics. I moved him earlier this month, and he was started on his new no grain/no sugar diet about 2wks ago. He does still get oat hay, and he's paddocked 24/7.
    There is a lot to see in his new home, and i don't think he is 100% settled just yet. Spooked at the round yard today! Although did very well in it. I just played with him, did some join-up type stuff, maybe 10mins.

He's been on devil's claw for about a week now, and he's certainly much, much better on it regarding his foot soreness! Even had his first hoon the other day, and apparantly joined in the hooning, bucking and rearing yesterday :)

Not a great angle, but anyway,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some pics of the wounds that are near his hooves. They developed some time ago, and they simply will not heal.
    The vet that noticed them when the first one came up said it was an absess and to poltice. Nothing came out.
    Since then, he's got 2 more, and there have been 3 consistantly. 2 on either side of one hind, and 1 on the other hind.
    There are none on the fronts.
    He is not tender or sore or lame on either hind. He will react when you touch them, so they are sore. No heat. Nothing 'leaking' out of them.
    They are just 'holes'. A scab forms, and if i pick the scab off, it's got a bit of puss on it, and you're left with a hole. Scab forms again, and same thing. I've been washing, scrubbing, spraying, creaming, even tried bandaging. They will not heal. And the bandages just roll up his leg. Or tear through the bit that goes around his hoof, and then roll up the leg.
    The large one has gotten maybe a touch better, but really, no real improvement, as it was never as deep as the other one.
    Any ideas?

This is before it's cleaned. As you can see, just sand/dust gets in there, and sticks, and forms a sand scab.
    [​IMG]

This is with the scab pulled off. The red circle, is another one on the other side, you can see a slightly raised area and a tuft of hair.
    [​IMG]

And here is a close-up of the one above. I try to keep the hair trimmed and away, but you can see it's actually growing inside.
    [​IMG]

Deb, thanks :) I spoke to Warwick when i first put the thread up. I emailed him saturday, but no answer yet. Will call him later in the week if i still haven't heard from him.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  17. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Hi CF
    Silly idea but have you tried whey powder with this horse ? (good for ulcers and cheap)
    Another point is do his molars actually meet? Is it posible that he simply cannot grind his food ? ( you mentioned undigested food)
    Silly but simple - Do his feet smell ? could be mud fever/thrush for the sores
    For skin issues maybe give him a bath in Napisan to kill any bugs etc
    Good Luck

18. kp

kp Well-known Member

He does seem to be looking better.

I agree with Brew with regards to sores. They look like greasy hee type thing to me. Have you tried Ampiclox on them? They look very similar to sores that a horse I have recenlty had. The ampiclox cleared them up. Nothing else made a difference.

19. Cornflower

Brew, his teeth get done every 6 months, and the dentist has never said anything. As far as i am aware from everything he's shown me, yes, they do meet. And he doens't hoover his feed. Yes, there was undigested large pieces of what looked like hay through his poos.
    He did a lovely poo in front of me yesterday, and it looked fine. Definitly not as many undigested bits. And looking around his paddock, they all look pretty-much the same, and he isn't runny or sloppy at all.

No the sores don't smell. Well, maybe just a tiny bit when you really have a good wiff of the scab.
    He gets thrush every winter. I find i can never get rid of it no matter how i clean . When it stops raining, the thrush stops. Gets it worst in the crevises either side of the frog, obviously.

No i haven't tried whey powder. I know it's cheap, and plenty of people rave about it, but I'm not really keen on feeding it, just the lactose is putting me off.

KP, isn't greasy heel from wet ground? There was nothing wet where he was. It was the most brilliantly draining ground i'd ever seen. It was retic, but the horse were in WIWO over night. And the grass was quite short, so they never came out of the paddock with wet legs.
    No, i've never heard of that. What is it?

He is looking better. He's not had dapples in years.
    Though some days he is really tucked up, and i've been told he doesn't drink much. 2 days previous to those photos he looked aweful, really tucked up, and was dehydrated. Don't know why he won't drink more. Is there anything i can do to make him want to drink?
    I was thinking of putting him on some kind of electrolyte?

20. Marlee

Marlee Well-known Member

Try putting a bit of molasses in a bucket of water to get him drinking more and you can add water to his hard feed as well.