what minerals to add

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Jess&Sabby, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Jess&Sabby

Jess&Sabby Well-known Member

hey,
    well im looking for some minerals to put into my horseys feeds. atm theyre just getting chaff and pony cubes ( 2 scoops) and salt at night. atm he isnt getting ridden very much maybe 3-4 times a week and is at a good weight but we will be doing alot more comps this coming year so i want to know what minerals ect i should be giving him? cause my mare and him are in the same paddock she will be getting them aswell.
    thanks heaps in advance.
    jess

2. megan

megan Well-known Member

hi jess just get equilibum its all done for you just give the amounts on the bag.
    horses look great in no time on it

3. Jess&Sabby

hey megs ive used equilibrium and wasnt very happy with how long the results took... if any. so rather steer clear.

4. megan

megan Well-known Member

every thing will take time. i also have used john kohnke's he is an advertiser says kohnke's own horse care

5. Jess&Sabby

i realise will take time but were on this for a rather long time with not much results will have a look into kohnke

6. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

I use Equimin and Equivit - they're locally produced and I buy them in bulk through a friend :)

If you want an idea of what quantities to use... try downloading Equilize. I use about 1/3 of the amount recommended by the manufacturer because I've put my feed quantities through the Equilize program. There's a trial version, or if you want to get more technical you can purchase a version with more of the fruit working.

7. Jess&Sabby

haha well im an idiot haha i wasnt feeding right amounts of equilibrium haha dummy so will go back to that :)

8. Razzie

Razzie Well-known Member

easiest way to find out what horses lack is to get your soils tested!! Generally what soil lacks is what your horse will to.

I dont feed equilibrium have a sample bucket sitting here, but i haven't tryed it yet. I feed dolomite, mag, salt, garlic (so many weeks and then dont for awhile) and livamol to showies!!.

My soils lack calcuim and mag mainly!!

9. Jess&Sabby

not my property to get tested

10. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

Hiya jes

i fed my horsey kelp,dolimite,copper,sulfur,livamol, and conola meal in there nite feeds

i even feed it too angel and she loves it her dapples are really black now from this feed and she really fat now too :D

11. Jess&Sabby

hehe angel fat never god how can she be even ftter lolz she was looking ready to explode how is she going is she bein a good girl ?
    does anybody know any sites where you can kinda of get a feed formulated?
    thanks
    jess

12. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Hon is on salt and Cell-Provide ..

Her condition shot up in a matter of just a few short weeks .. her coat went from orange (no, litereally, she was orange) to a lovely chestnut. She also gets sunflower seeds (note to self, get from mums house) ..

I am also planning on getting some Electro's for when we (finally) go out, and when she's had a hard work out (she does sweat a lot and loses a lot of salt and min's).

I am outta Cell Providenow ... but this other stuff "equilibrium " sounds great ... We used this stuff at work (cant remember what its called .. but its a kohnke's supp .. I'll have a look) .. and it worked WONDERS. I was gobsmacked.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  13. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Cell Vitual Premium .. that's the one they were on. Great stuff .. has everything in it, coats improved 10000% .. could hardly recognise one horse!