What is your horsey goal for the year

Discussion in 'Horse Riding' started by Marianne, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

I have the same goal as many others, to get back into it after having time off. And re building the lost confidence.Ive suddenly realised that im NOT immortal:eek:

I have two foals this year, and a gelding that I want to finally bring back into work after nearly three years we've had off due to me having a baby. That plus a HEAP of other personal issues flying around at the moment, I'll be happy if I make it through the next couple of years, without ending up in a straight jacket :)) It will be so so so worth it though!!!!! :p

Goodluck to everyone!!!!!

2. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I have achieved one goal....Winnie is foward soft and collected 70% of the time in walk and trot a huge improvement on our part. I am not going to put him in a double bridle no need...at this point.

Our next goal is to work on canter, and this could also roll over into a 2010 goal LOL*#)
    Riding at an A class show, well we will see....:p

3. Lauren

Lauren Gold Member

Done both :)
    Now confidently jumping 50cm, and happily canter everywhere, including out on trails :)*

The backbone.. hmm i'm still working on that.
    Would absolutely love to get to jumping up to 60cm again.
    & would like to do a xc course without pannicking.

Very difficult year horsey and non horsey lol.
    Took me such a long time to push past my mental barrier (not wanting to canter or jump)..
    and now gotta push past my fear of anything over 50cm and xc jumps.

4. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Mine is to actually get on!!!

What with moving, breaking my wrist etc etc I cant remember the last time I rode.

Had the farrier out yesterday so might get on tonight!!!

5. GiGi

GiGi Guest

For this year my goal was,
    Buy first pony - done.

Next is to complete a competitive showjump round - will be attempting that this saturday at Wandi, however based on yesterday's effort I'm not hopeful !

For next year -
    Beach visit, get out to more competitions, and just enjoy him ;)

6. LilD

LilD Well-known Member

You and me both lol and mines broken allready from a bad fall 30 years ago, but isnt it just like riding a bike lol

My Goal is to be able to ride Buddy he wont be so hard, Buster well hes a whole other kettle of fish :) We also think he was cut proud as he still has a thing for the girlies lol

7. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Bring your saddle to States ;) You just said to ride him at the show not compete :D

8. Anna E

Anna E Guest

My goals for 2009 were to get Joe started under saddle and teach Prycie to canter. Did both!
    2010 - they're a bit more ambitious:
    40km endurance ride on Prycie (poor boy - he was meant to be a bush hack but he's so nice to ride now he has to do some proper work)
    Get Joe working nicely under saddle and do a 20km ride towards the end of the season (September)
    Get my hubbie riding Prycie so he can come on a 20km ride with me (all part of my cunning plan to get him addicted to horses too **))
    Get my 5 year old daughter and her lease pony to some in hand shows and start them at PC.

9. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

Let me know ow your cunning plan goes Anne E!!! I need some tips ;)

10. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Tee hee Siren..
    To start off you get for free a nice quiet Standardbred and tell him it's "his" horse.. Then you just happen to acquire a free large stock saddle that he could use.. And you do lots of trail rides not boring old dressage that he can't see the point in.
    Then you go for a 20km endurance ride (on "his" horse :p) in Gingin and come back rhapsodising about the scenery.. and if you're really lucky he might say something like "I think I'd like to do that one day". (Then you have to find a babysitter for the children - haven't quite figured that one out yet!).
    HOWEVER - in my case getting "his" horse meant he went out and got me a truck *#) and I had to let him get a brand new Colorado as the old Rodeo "wouldn't be enough to tow 2 horses"...

11. Siren

Siren Well-known Member

hmmmm, will have to look into it.
    my OH has kinda of claimed my OTT gelding, although he certainly hasnt ridden him (I havent been riding full time for three years either)
    My OH just thinks he's so PERDY, gag!!! I was going to sell him when I was pregnant, the OH wouldnt let me!!! And then carries on about how much he hates horses, pfffft.

Im not handing over my gelding, mainly because I cant be bothered with the inevitable hospital visits if he was to jump on. But he does seem to like Clyde's.... hmmmmm.
    Babysitter is taken care of, my parents are always stealing her off me :))

12. Dontey464554

Dontey464554 Active Member

My goals for 2009 at the start of the year was:
    Compete at the AA Bonanza show with my new horse
    Get the slow button insalled in his brain some where
    And get his head at a reasonable level to compete with

Its now almost the end of the year:
    We have entered and are competing in a wide range of events at the AA Bonanza show *life long dream*
    We now have the slow botton in and he has now learned the jog and going slow is much easier than fast :D
    And the head height is coming, hes still learning to balence with it, but will cruise with it long and low at the walk and jog :)*

13. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

Hey your on to something there Sarina. I will do that....I must;):))

14. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Mine too Simbin and then not fall off, too fat and old *sigh* the non-horsey goal is to get to a weight, that will not harm my young horse *double sigh*

15. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I've really enjoyed reading about everyones progress. It is inspiring.**)

16. Late Starter

Late Starter Well-known Member

I am absolutely stoked with my achievements so far this year (and remember the year hasn't finished yet **))...

Goals I set and achieved:
    - To get Benny using his backend and balanced in canter
    - Confidently jumping 45 cms
    - Attend a Steve Brady clinic (I attended 2 - one ridden and one as a spectator)
    - Comfortably and confidently jump E grade XC at Wally (I actually competed in an E grade ODE)
    - Compete in a minimum of 1 hack day
    - Attend a minimum of 1 training day (I've done that and more)

The only goals I didn't achieve:
    - Attend at least half my ARC rallies
    - Have a weekend getaway at Anne Battleys

I am so pleased with what Benny and I have achieved and know a huge part of that is due to the help I've had from my friend/the lady we agist with and my instructor, Jess, who has believed in Benny right from the start **). When I bought Benny last December he was very unbalanced in canter and disunited alot (now he is balanced and doesn't disunite at all); he hadn't done much jumping that I know of (I've jumped him up to 75cms and my instructor has since jumped him over a course of 90cms); he was pushy on the ground and dragged me (rarely now just needs a gentle reminder at times); he would rush off the float (he now self-loads); I used to be so anxious I thought about giving up riding (having Benny that I feel safe on has helped tremendously and I have more confidence now); he is lovely and soft and works on the contact consistently in walk and trot and we are getting there with canter. I just love my Benny boy :D:D.

Thanks for bringing this thread to notice as I wouldn't have fully realised just what I've achieved with my riding and Benny this year otherwise.

Well done to you all for having a go and completion of a goal is not everything... it's the journey and steps towards it that are important **).

17. Studentofthehorse

Studentofthehorse New Member

Mine are all restricted by my horse's physical limitations (injury) so I would love to get her right first. I want to be able to school the right lead canter, to advance her balance and lateral work, then I would like to get out to dressage, endurance and eventing. It might take years rather than a year.

My OTT boy... get his schooling spot on, teach him to jump, and build his confidence out alone. Then maybe some small shows and find him a lovely home.