What does homogenous grey mean?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by Natsky, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

As some of you know my new Waler gelding is a bay that is greying out. His dad is what is known as a "homogenous grey". What does this mean exactly? Does it mean he will only ever throw grey foals?

Mallee is almost 3 and is a weird bay/buckskin kind of color presently with heaps of grey flecking all over his coat and mane. All of his sires progeny so far are a lot greyer than my boy is, do they all grey out at different rates?

Oh and his mum was a bay and I am pretty sure she comes from a line of bay/brown horses. This is my first grey horse so I am totally clueless!!! :D

2. Yes! If a sire is homozygous for grey all his get will be grey.
    You've answered your own question!:)*

3. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

Thanks Lena :)

4. samm

samm Gold Member

It means dominant.Yes all foals will grey out if one parent is homzygous grey.

Ohhhhh Waler ,can I see?Oscar ,one of our trick horses is a Waler.

5. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

I have already posted pics a few weeks ago Samm, and yes he is related to Oscar on his mums side as she is a Kimberley waler, his dad is Pope, a waler from Wiluna ( a big grey one ). :D

6. samm

samm Gold Member

Where can I find them ?I missed sorry.Havent been on the puter that much as we've been really busy :)

7. PPH

PPH Guest

Being homogenous also means he is homozygous or has dominant genes for grey.

8. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

I don't really know how to find them. You could do a search on here for them maybe? It was about 6 weeks ago sorry.

9. Natsky

Natsky Well-known Member

If you put "Natsky's new horse pics in the search box on here you should find them along with some older posts,good luck.